TENATIVE PULLS

Davis County

Jerome, Id

Preston,Id

Dubois, Wyo.

Elko, Nev.

Riverton, Wyo.

Utah County

I've pulled at a couple of their pulls before, two last season. I've got my truck set-up more for the dragstrip, gonna need to find some better dirt tires

Yes, anybody that shows up can pull. As just as a heads up, the rules will be changing for the 3 diesel classes. We are just waiting for some small details to get ironed out and then Terry Thain and I will put everything together and pass it along to everybody. I would assume we will most likely be adopting DHRA rules with a couple changes that fit our club better. We will keep everybody updated...

I just registered on that site but it won't let me post yet. I will let everybody know the details as soon as possible. As far as the "additional safety stuff" goes, the rules they pulled out of the modified general rules does not apply to the "Mod diesel" class. It applies only to our "Super Modified diesel" class, as well as the modified alcohol/race fuel trucks, which are the full blown pulling trucks running Cepek tires. Currently, the only 2 trucks in that super modified class are running 8V92 Detroit engines. The "Modified diesel" class only has to run by the rules that are stated under the modified diesel heading. And yes, all diesel classes, from stock to super modified, have an 8,000lb weight limit. Hope this clears up the misunderstanding.

I just registered on that site but it won't let me post yet. I will let everybody know the details as soon as possible. As far as the "additional safety stuff" goes, the rules they pulled out of the modified general rules does not apply to the "Mod diesel" class. It applies only to our "Super Modified diesel" class, as well as the modified alcohol/race fuel trucks, which are the full blown pulling trucks running Cepek tires. Currently, the only 2 trucks in that super modified class are running 8V92 Detroit engines. The "Modified diesel" class only has to run by the rules that are stated under the modified diesel heading. And yes, all diesel classes, from stock to super modified, have an 8,000lb weight limit. Hope this clears up the misunderstanding.

Awesome. Does twin turbos automatically put us in the Super mod class? Honestly, the bitch here is the fact that a daily driven trailer tower with twins that dyno's less than 500 hp usually falls into the super mod class were you require such things as a full fire suite, fuel shutoff, helmet, etc. Helmet we can do but the rest of it is kinda rediculous IMHO. When you get the ability, post this info on the NWD please.

-Scott

No, twin turbos only puts you in the "Modified class" below. You have to have a helmet, fire extinguisher, and an air shutoff, both inside the cab and on the rear of the vehicle, as of this year. I should have the new rulebook updated by next week.

Modified Diesel

1. Weight limit will be 8000 lbs.

2. Hanging weights is allowed but cannot extend more than

60 inches from centerline of front axle. No loose weights

in cab or under hood.

3. Maximum wheelbase is 180 inches.

4. The engine is restricted to 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder

compression ignition engines with a maximum of 460

cubic inches. The engine block must have been available

as a factory option in 1 ton or smaller pickup trucks. An

SFI raated dampener is recommended.

5. Maximum of 2 turbochargers. Turbos must be completely

enclosed in the engine compartment.

6. Nitrous oxide is prohibited.

7. Propane and water/alcohol/methanol injection is permitted.

Commercially available pump lube allowed.

8. Fuel must be pump #1/#2 diesel only. Soy/Biodiesel fuel is

permitted.

9. All fuel tanks, lines, pumps, valves, etc. must be located

outside of the driver compartment and within the confines

of the frame and/or steel body. Fuel pressure guage

isolators, with steel-braided line, may be mounted on the

firewall.

10. Any sealed cooling system is permitted.

11. Exhaust must have either two 7/16" dia. bolts placed

t hrough the pipe perpendicular to each other, or a screen

of the exact pipe diameter placed in the pipe(s)

somewhere after the turbocharger(s). Exhuast must be

directed away from the fuel tank and driver and exit

straight up or down.

12. Vehicles must have adequate stopping power.

13. The hitch must be constructed of solid material that is

properly attached and braced. Bumpers may be notched

or removed. 26" maximum hitch height. The hitching point

will be measured to the center of the clevis loop.

14. Any truck body style is permitted, but the body must

retain the full bodied appearance. Doors must be

functional.

15. The vehicle must be equipped with one seat for the

driver; it must be securely installed.

16. Each vehicle must be equipped with an OEM or minimum

.024 inch thick steel firewall extending from side to side of

the body and from top of the engine compartment's

seal ( hood, cowl,deck) to the bottom of the floor and/or

belly pan. All openings must be sealed, excluding

grommets.

17. Each vehicle must be equipped with an OEM or

minimum .024 inch thick steel floor pan that extends the

full length and width of the drivers compartment.

18. Each vehicle must have at least 6 inch wide u-joint shields

around the rear u-joint constructed of at least 1/4 inch

steel or 3/8 inch aluminum that will safely contain the

u-joint and the end of the rear shaft. All shields must be

securely mounted to the vehicle. Any front shaft u-joint

that is visible from the side of the vehicle must be

shielded in the same manner.

19. D.O.T. street legal tires only. Cut or pulling tires are

prohibited.

20. Solid or blocked suspensions are allowed.

21. Aftermarket transmissions and transfer cases are

allowed.

22. A clutch meeting SFI spec 1.2 or 1.3 is mandatory for

manual transmissions.

23. A fire extinguisher in working condition is required to be

within easy reach of the driver.

24. General rules apply.

Here are the new 2008 United Pullers diesel rules. They will be available on our website shortly.

www.unitedpullers.net

Also, our schedule is as follows:

June 7th Morgan, UT

June 13 and 14th John Day, OR

June 21st Idaho Falls, ID

June 28th Elko, NV

July 19th Filer, ID

July 25th Tooele, UT

August 2nd Tremonton, UT

August 16th Lyman, WY

September 13th Utah State Fair

Utah County Fair and Preston, ID are still tentative

I will let everybody know on the DHRA shows as soon as we have them confirmed!

Stock Diesel

1. Weight limit is 8000 lbs.
  2. The engine is limited to a stock appearing, OEM make –specific compression ignition engine.
  3. Intake, exhaust, and fuel enhancing modifications are allowed. It is recommended tohave either two 7/16†dia. bolts placed through the pipe perpendicular to each other, or a screen of the exact pipe diameter placed in the pipe(s) somewhere after the turbocharger. It is recommended that the exhaust exit either straight up or straight down.
  4. Fuel must be pump #1/#2 diesel only. Soy/Biodiesel fuel is permitted.
  5. Fuel injection pump is limited to a stock appearing, OEM engine model specific pump only. The use of multiple high-pressure common-rail fuel pumps is prohibited.
  6. Nitrous Oxide, Propane, Water/Methanol is prohibited. All system components must be removed from the truck or bottles removed and lines capped after the solenoids.
  7. Limited to 1 turbocharger that must be a stock, OEM make-specific charger only.
  8. The body must be the OEM truck body, including the full bed floor. The body must retain full sheet metal. Aftermarket hoods are permitted.
  9. Visual modifications are allowed, i.e. lift, tires, wheels, etc.
  10. The hitch must be a receiver style hitch attached to the frame; reinforcements are permitted. 26†maximum hitch height. The hooking point will be measured to the center of the clevis loop.
  11. D.O.T. street legal tires only. No bar tires or cut tires.
  12. No hanging weight extending beyond the vehicle. No added weight allowed inside the cab.
  13. Solid or blocked suspensions are not allowed.
  14. A fire extinguisher is recommended and must be securely mounted within reach of the driver.
  15. General Rules apply

Super Stock Diesel

2. Must be street legal.
  3. Hanging weights is allowed but cannot extend more than 60 inches from centerline of front axle. No loose weights in cab or under hood.
  4. Engine is restricted to 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder compression ignition engines. OEM engine required. The engine block must have been available as a factory option on 1 ton or smaller pickup trucks.
  5. Water injection is allowed. Nitrous oxide, propane, and alcohol/methanol are not permitted.
  6. Turbochargers are limited to 1 single charger with a maximum inducer size of 2.8 inches measured at the smallest diameter area of the compressor wheel. No bushing may be used.
  7. Fuel must be pump #1/#2 diesel only. Soy/Biodiesel fuel is permitted.
  8. Aftermarket transmissions and transfer cases are allowed.
  9. Exhaust must have either two 7/16†dia. bolts placed through the pipe perpendicular to each other, or a screen of the exact pipe diameter placed in the pipe(s) somewhere after the turbocharger. Exhaust must be directed away from the fuel tank and driver and exit straight up or down.
  10. The body must be the OEM truck body, including the full bed floor. The body must retain full sheet metal. Aftermarket hoods are permitted.
  11. The hitch must be a receiver style hitch attached to the frame; reinforcements are permitted. Bumpers may be notched or removed. 26†maximum hitch height. The hitching point will be measured to the center of the clevis loop.
  12. D.O.T. street legal tires only. No bar tires or cut tires.
  13. Each vehicle must have at least 6 inch wide u-joint shields around the rear u-joint constructed of at least ¼ inch steel or 3/8 inch aluminum that will safely contain the u-joint and the end of the rear shaft. All shields must be securely mounted to the vehicle. Any front shaft u-joint that is visible from the side of the vehicle must be shielded in the same manner.
  14. Solid or blocked suspensions are allowed.
  15. A fire extinguisher in working condition is required to be within easy reach of the driver.
  16. General Rules apply.

Modified Diesel

2. Hanging weights is allowed but cannot extend more than 60 inches from centerline of front axle. No loose weights in cab or under hood.
  3. Maximum wheelbase is 180 inches.
  4. The engine is restricted to 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder compression ignition engines with a maximum of 460 cubic inches. The engine block must have been available as a factory option in 1 ton or smaller pickup trucks. An SFI rated dampener is recommended.
  5. Maximum of 2 turbochargers. Turbos must be completely enclosed in the engine compartment
  6. Nitrous oxide is prohibited.
  7. Propane and water/alcohol/methanol injection is permitted. Commercially available pump lube allowed.
  8. Fuel must be pump #1/#2 diesel only. Soy/Biodiesel fuel is permitted.
  9. All fuel tanks, lines, pumps, valves, etc. must be located outside of the driver compartment and within the confines of the frame and/or steel body. Fuel pressure gauge isolators, with steel-braided line, may be mounted on the firewall.
  10. Any sealed cooling system is permitted.
  11. Exhaust must have either two 7/16†dia. bolts placed through the pipe perpendicular to each other, or a screen of the exact pipe diameter placed in the pipe(s) somewhere after the turbocharger(s). Exhaust must be directed away from the fuel tank and driver and exit straight up or down.
  12. Vehicles must have adequate stopping power.
  13. The hitch must be constructed of solid material that is properly attached and braced. Bumpers may be notched or removed. 26†maximum hitch height. The hitching point will be measured to the center of the clevis loop.
  14. Any truck body style is permitted, but the body must retain the full-bodied appearance. Doors must be functional.
  15. The vehicle must be equipped with one seat for the driver; it must be securely installed.
  16. Each vehicle must be equipped with an OEM or minimum .024 inch thick steel firewall extending from side to side of the body and from the top of the engine compartment’s seal (hood, cowl, deck) to the bottom of the floor and/or belly pan. All openings must be sealed, excluding grommets.
  17. Each vehicle must be equipped with and OEM or minimum .024 inch thick steel floor pan that extends the full length and width of the driver compartment.
  18. Each vehicle must have at least 6 inch wide u-joint shields around the rear u-joint constructed of at least ¼ inch steel or 3/8 inch aluminum that will safely contain the u-joint and the end of the rear shaft. All shields must be securely mounted to the vehicle. Any front shaft u-joint that is visible from the side of the vehicle must be shielded in the same manner.
  19. Air or fuel Shutoff's required- consisting of (1) cable/switch to the rear of the truck to be operated by the sled, and also a cable/switch inside the driver's compartment
  20. D.O.T. street legal tires only. Cut or pulling tires are prohibited.
  21. Solid or blocked suspensions are allowed.
  22. Aftermarket transmissions and transfer cases are allowed.
  23. A clutch meeting SFI spec 1.2 or 1.3 is mandatory for manual transmissions.
  24. A fire extinguisher in working condition is required to be within easy reach of the driver.
  25. General rules apply.

Super Modified Diesel

1. Any diesel engine is allowed. Unlimited turbos or superchargers.
  2. Nitrous Oxide is NOT allowed. Propane, water, and alcohol injection are allowed.
  3. Mechanical or Electronic fuel injection permitted.
  4. Front disc brakes are mandatory.
  5. Aftermarket transmissions and transfer cases are allowed. All automatic transmissions MUST be covered by an SFI 4.1 approved or better, full length safety blanket.
  6. Exhaust must have either two 7/16†dia. bolts placed through the pipe perpendicular to each other, or a screen of the exact pipe diameter placed in the pipe(s) somewhere after the turbocharger(s). Exhaust(s) must exit either straight up or straight down.
  7. Wheelbase shall not exceed 154â€.
  8. 26†maximum hitch height.
  9. The hitch must be rigid in all directions and solidly mounted to the frame.
  10. Only pulling tires will be allowed. Maximum 34†tall and 18†wide.
  11. Hanging weights are allowed but cannot extend more than 60 inches from centerline of front axle. No loose weights in cab or under hood will be allowed.
  12. All trucks will have a 360 degree metal shield around the universal joints, 5/16†steel or 3/8†aluminum. Minimum width to be 6 inches. Clearance should not exceed 2 inches between shield and universal joint. Shield should not be butt or seam welded.
  13. All trucks must have three(3) round metal loops shielding on each drive shaft. (A two piece drive shaft must have six(6) metal loops.) A 360 degree loop must be a minimum of 3/8†wide or wider, and not more than 2 inches from the shaft in any direction. End loops must be placed no farther than 6 inches from universal joints, with a third loop in the center of the shaft, or it can be a solid tube (5/16†steel or 3/8†aluminum) meeting the above requirements. No cast metal is permissible.
  14. From the point of hook to the centerline of the rear axle shall be no less than 36% of the pickup or van wheelbase.
  15. Axles and hub bolt shields are required on all rear ends unless it is a planetary drive rear end. The minimum is 1/16 (0.060) thick steel. The hub bolts should be shielded on both front and rear axles. The mounting shield cannot be mounted to the axle end or the hub bolts. A hole may be installed in the center of the front shield so the lock can be operated, so long as the hub end or axle bolts are covered.
  16. Vertical bumpers are required to prevent the vehicle from passing over the buckboard of the sled while backing up to hook and unhook. Bumpers to extend a minimum of 8 inches vertically. Bumpers must be of rigid construction.
  17. A neutral safety switch light system is required on all pulling vehicles. A white light, automotive quality, minimum 2 inches in diameter, must be mounted directly above or below safety kill switch at the rear of the vehicle. A light in the driver’s compartment must be operated off the same system. Both lights are to be activated by the shift lever so the lights will be lit ONLY when the vehicle is in neutral.
  18. Air or fuel Shutoff's required- consisting of (1) cable/switch to the rear of the truck to be operated by the sled, and also a cable/switch inside the driver's compartment
  19. Solid suspensions are allowed.
  20. All drivers must wear a minimum SFI 3.2 Spec. approved fire suit.
  21. Seat belts and helmets, minimum Snell 75, are required.
  22. A fire extinguisher in working condition is required to be within easy reach of the driver.

Sure you will...Just go find some aluminum and bolt them on. They are really simple to do. I'm sure that Terry or Shane would be happy to give you some ideas since they have already done them.

Doesn't look like I'll be pulling either, with my 3.0 inducer I have to pull with the big boys :oops: And we all know a Ford will never hang with them compounded Cummins trucks :-(

Well, I don't have the driveshaft loops either. Plus my street tread drag strip tires might not do so well on the dirt tracks.

I'm sure I'll give in and try it out though

Yeah same deal with me on the U Joint shields. I doubt I will have time to build anything given the crap ton of other projects I have already planned.