• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
millco

CEL and pulling codes on a 2006

15 posts in this topic

K,

I asked local dealer if there was something wrong with my truck as I can't pull codes out of the odometer by cycling the key on three times with out starting the engine. They told me that was done away with years ago..... Strange! I know for a fact that I could pull them that way on my '05 and I would swear I have done it before on another '06! I have also read posts about guys doing it with an '07 5.9L and I thought at least another said he could with his 6.7L.

My question is if any of you know for a fact if I should be able to get the DTC's by cycling the key like that on my '06? If it should be possible, why won't mine. I posed the question to them about my ecm or pcm being bad since it won't display any trouble or clear codes.

I ask because the truck gave her a CEL today each time she started it. I did the battery delete last week which includes not having the main wire hooked up to the grid heater relay. The relay solenoid is still hooked up and cycling like always. I figured if it monitored anything, it would be the solenoid part of the relay only. Anyway, we have ran it around a bit since last week and no CEL until today. I don't think it is related to the battery delete. This was the first time it was started after an oil change. I can't see how that could cause a CEL; since it has oil in the case and pressure and all those good things.............

Any ideas? I really don't want to take her in with that battery and such missing...

(It did get 17.3 mpg on this 550 mi. tank which included the trip to Boise at about 68 MPH. This is most of those miles on the new turbo. It would be nice if it was going to get better mileage now!)

from what i know 06 ya cant pull up codes on odo

stupid. prolly did it that way so ya need to take it to the stealership

I'm tempted to go by the dealership and see if I can find an '06......... If it worked on one in the lot; what could they say then?

wrong.....it does work on the 06s I've done it on four of them... mines been throwing an p0234 overboost code with the new smarty tnt tune. cycle the key three times and I get it every time same as when I pull it up and clear it with the smarty...

Why didn't I just ask you Shane. Our trucks are similar! I wondered if I hadn't read this somewhere before.....

Ok, Does this mean that I have a computer problem? I also have issues with it controlling the interior lights (It sometimes turns them off too fast when a door is left open).

I almost don't care about not being able to pull codes myself ('Course I do wish I knew what this one was for). I mostly wonder if it could be a computer problem that is causing my poor mileage. What do you guys think?

(We figured out that even though it has been a lot of miles; The truck lit the CEL right at the 5th time it was started after my 'battery delete'. How many times does a problem have to repeat for it to lite the CEL? Since that 5th start the CEL light has been staying on.......)

wrong.....it does work on the 06s I've done it on four of them... QUOTE]

NOT, the kid that works for me has an early 06 and it DONT work, had to read codes with trip-dog, was a battery code, cleared it and hasnt come back.

It does work on mine. Really finniky though, had to try it like 3 times to get it to work. My 03 was easy, 3 twists and you're there.

It does work on mine. Really finniky though, had to try it like 3 times to get it to work. My 03 was easy, 3 twists and you're there.

You say that yours was real finicky. Was there any special way or different way you did it? If you noticed anything that seemed to help get it to read out the codes, I would appreciate knowing what it would be. I might be able to get mine to do it!

Thanks!

wrong.....it does work on the 06s I've done it on four of them... QUOTE]

NOT, the kid that works for me has an early 06 and it DONT work, had to read codes with trip-dog, was a battery code, cleared it and hasnt come back.

Well, i guess i will eat some crow, for some reason some of the 06's you can read the codes, although your not supposed to be able to read them after dodge went to the can-bus system. seems some will,,,, some wont.

Well, i guess i will eat some crow, for some reason some of the 06's you can read the codes, although your not supposed to be able to read them after dodge went to the can-bus system. seems some will,,,, some wont.

Al I wasn't trying to start a pissing match or anything...:thumbup: I just know that all of the ones I have tried it on worked?? That's stupid IMO that dodge would get rid of something so easy like that...:nono: I should have tried it on the 07 I drove yesterday!!$$$

Al,

I wouldn't sweat it. I swear I have done it on at least one '06. I know I did it on my '05 a few times. That's how I knew what to tell the dealer was supposed to be wrong.

Shane suggested trying to just turn the key far enough to light up the odometer display each of the three times. I want to try this on mine to see if it will work. Everytime I have tried it, I turned it all the way to on each of the three times. I just thought about asking how much time he had it 'on' and how much 'off' for each time leading up to the last 'on'. I may have to call you back today, Shane.

Since my CEL is off; will it still display what was going on this week or will it just show ---- (no active codes)?

Al,

I wouldn't sweat it. I swear I have done it on at least one '06. I know I did it on my '05 a few times. That's how I knew what to tell the dealer was supposed to be wrong.

Shane suggested trying to just turn the key far enough to light up the odometer display each of the three times. I want to try this on mine to see if it will work. Everytime I have tried it, I turned it all the way to on each of the three times. I just thought about asking how much time he had it 'on' and how much 'off' for each time leading up to the last 'on'. I may have to call you back today, Shane.

Since my CEL is off; will it still display what was going on this week or will it just show ---- (no active codes)?

Since the CEL is off it will just display a dotted line.... Call me if you need!!

Well,

I have been very slow getting back to this one..... I finally messed with it and got it to work!

I drove the truck to work over the weekend and had a minute or two to mess with it. I started out trying the turning it only part way on trick. I could not get it to work for anything. I even tried turning the key 4 times instead of three. Nothing would work. So I decided to try turning it all the way to on each time and low and behold it displayed one code when I turned it to on the third time. Wow! I had never been able to get this truck to do this.....

The check engine light has been off for a long time; but the code it gave me is still active..... It was for 'no voltage drop seen from cycling the grid heater'. I guess it does know that I disconnected the grid heater; 'who'd a thunk it?'

I'm just glad that it healed itself and that now I can pull my own codes!

Now, if I can just get something figured out about this fuel economy. I got 14 around town and we just got back from Poc'y last week. We got 12 for that round trip...... (Yuck!)

Thanks all who were trying to help me with this one! Glad it finally cured itself!!