• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
torquemonster1

starting problem

this is driving me insane. every morning and if i let the truck sit for a couple of hours after driving when i turn the key it will fire up for a second but if i don't give it a lot of throttle it will feel like it runs out of fuel and die. then when i try to restart it it just cranks over. i have to pump the lift pump a bunch then cranck it and pump the throttle alot to get it to fire. then once it fires i have to keep pumping the throttle to like 22-2500 rpm or it will die. and it blows a ton of white smoke everywhere. it covers my whole truck. after like thirty seconds or so it will warm up and i can stop pumping it and it will idle fine and the smoke will stop. the truck runs perfect after that and only blows black smoke. biggrin.gif im pretty sure my pre- heater grid is not working and im not sure why. i don't know if im sucking air or what but i need to fix it. this can't be good for the motor. its a 96 3500 4X4, sorry i have to do my sig. any help would be great. :confused: thanks

Guest 9812VCTD   
Guest 9812VCTD

With all the white smoke it sounds like your getting air into your system. I agree with Wes's recomendation and start with your fuel system, and let us know what you find. I'm not sure how you would check voltage to your heat grid but wondering if that could be part of your problem also? Does your wait to start appear to be functioning properly?

Justin

Dr. Evil    10
wait to start light comes on and stays on longer when its colder out, but i don't know if its working.

Can you see the voltmeter go up and down after you start it? How about the interior lights - do they dim? Both of those are a good indication that the grids are working.

White smoke usually appears when there is not enough heat to burn the fuel. There are a number of things that cause white smoke:

1) bad grid heater (s) (could be burnt up) or your fusable links from the battery could be open

2) bad injector or injectors

3) low idle speed - what is the idle set at?

4) Injector pump timing ***

6) Air in the fuel system ***

6) Injector pump problems (doubtful)

7) low engine compression (doubtful)

8) low engine cranking speed (doubtful)

My guess is that your timing has slipped and/or low idle and/or air is contributing to this problem. You will need to get the timing checked, which required special tools. If its slipped have it reset to areound 15-16 degrees.

Guest 9812VCTD   
Guest 9812VCTD
Can you seen the voltmeter go up and down after you start it? How about the interior lights - do they dim? Both of those are a good indication that the grids are working.

White smoke usually appears when there is not enough heat to burn the fuel. There are a number of things that cause white smoke:

1) bad grid heater (s) (could be burnt up) or your fusable links from the battery could be open

2) bad injector or injectors

3) low idle speed - what is the idle set at?

4) Injector pump timing ***

6) Air in the fuel system ***

6) Injector pump problems (doubtful)

7) low engine compression (doubtful)

8) low engine cranking speed (doubtful)

My guess is that your timing has slipped and/or low idle and/or air is contributing to this problem. You will need to get the timing checked, which required special tools. If its slipped have it reset to areound 15-16 degrees.

Good info Shane...:smart: I know my truck starts alot better since I bumped my RPM idle up. It was at 600 and I bumped it up to 850 and it has started great since.