• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

schaef_12

New Cylinder Head.

I think that this time around (replacing the 2nd hg) I am going to get a new head as I think my head is cracked. I want to stick as little $$$ as possible into this project, but I want to spend enough to make it reliable and to do it the "right" way.

I want to stay in the 400-450ish hp range and am wondering if It is worth the money to have the head o-ringed at that hp level? I already have 12mm arp studs and plan on running a SPS 62/12 or similar turbo in the future.

So basically i am looking at $600 for a brand new stock head. or $1300 for a O-ringed head with 60lb Valve springs, and $2,200 for a stage II ported and polished O-ringed head with 60lb Valve springs and 5 angle back cut valves.

then i have the cost of a new gasket ($129) and installation if i can find some one that will do it because i do not have time.

I have heard they have the best prices around. If you have not checked out Mass Diesel Performance at www.massdiesel.com, they advertise head o-ring service for $300.00.

That's about what Pure Diesel charges, the prices i put down include assembly and shipping to my door.

With the mods you have and the sps62, I would just get an O-ringed head. Atleast that's what I plan on doing.

I would love to o-ring it, the thing that is holding me back is throwing 7-8K into a 14-15k dollar pickup. If your going to o-ring then you might as well port and polish it, and if you are going to have a head that will hold 70-80lbs of boost you might as well run that much boost......etc....etc.

I am plenty happy with the way it runs right now and just want to drive it, and not lose my shorts when i sell it. I already have way too much $$$ in it for $4 diesel.

Guest 9812VCTD

If your wanting to keep it on the cheap go with the stock cylinder head and it seems like you can buy a 3rd gen gasket that is drilled for a 2nd gen and with your head studs you should be able to hold atleast 50lbs of boost. I am hitting 50 now with no problems and I've still got the stock H.G.

Justin

There are many ways to look at a ported and O-ringed head. I did my first one @ 398 rwhp Piers' hooked me up and I picked up 31 rwhp and it dropped my max egts at least 200* all the while zero negative effects! IMO it is well worth the $$$ for any modified truck!

Another way to look at O-ringing (usually around $300 if bought with porting) is while you may be borderline boost wise to "needing" one it's only $300 concider if you pay someone to do a headgasket you'll be looking at around $1,000 just for the labor, and that sure doesn't include the inconvienice.

Just my opinions good luck to ya!

I do not know what you have decided about your head. If you are looking for more of a HP head gasket, I talked to Eric at SCE Gaskets in Lancaster, CA today. He said they have a copper gasket that works very well. He also mentioned to stay away from any multi layered steel gasket. It will leak compression and /or coolant and oil at higher boost levels. This gasket does not require o-rings at your 40-50 psi range. If you or any one else are interested, call Erin at SCE Gaskets INC. 1-661-728-9200 or 1-800-GASKET-0. Good Luck.

I have never heard of anyone that had good luck with a copper gasket on a daily driver........but things do change all the time????

Yes, thekidfan, you are right. The regular copper gaskets tend to leak a little unless o-ringed. That may make them over the top for a mild performance daily driver. However SCE has developed the Titan line that has a compression seal built in that takes care of that issue. They also have a line of other high performance gaskets that are of high quality and work very well. They are worth checking into for those interested.

Up until I did my twins last spring and added DDP4s, I ran for a couple of years at about 480 hp using 370's, a PDR HX40 (back when they made great HX40s), a PDR stage 1 cam, a #10 plate, ARP 12mm studs torqued to around 100 lbs and so forth on a stock head and head gasket. I don't think the o-ring job is really necessary until your looking to get to 500 hp or more.

I'd torque those stud to about 125 if not already and run with it and put your money into other things until you're forced to o-ring/fire ring.

If you do choose to o-ring/fire-ring, unless you come across a screaming deal, you're going to spend at least $2200 and I'd bet you'll be closer to $2500 when you figure in other stuff you just can't live without ;-)

-Jay

I would love to just put a new gasket back in it and run it at it's current power level, but something isn't right, I already have the 12mm studs and .10 over marine. It's either wwwaaaaaaay advanced on timing, or the head is shot!