• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

garywj

First test batch

OK...Just because the oil is canola, does not mean it will titrate well!! My oil was hard used, averaged 5.8 on titration. So I mixed a batch using 13g KOH and 21% methanol per liter. Below is a pic of the oil 40 minutes after mixing. Note the heavy layer or glycerin at the bottom, and the amber color of the bio-diesel made from well used oil. I will let this settle overnight, and post more pics tomorrow of the final settling and the first wash cycle. :thumbup: I'm not sure how the web sites got the pretty yellow color in their batches?.....were they using virgin oil or something?

post-349-145494290844_thumb.jpg

I got happy with the first batch, so I did another. This time two liters. Titration was still high...6 was the average. I had forgotten that the KOH I bought was 90% pure, so I added 10% to this batch to make up for purity. Total I ended up using 31g of KOH and 420ml of Methanol for a two liter batch. This is a pic one hour after mixing. The one litre batch I made earlier has even gotten better since. Hopefully, these will settle out nicely tonight, and I can get them washed tomorrow. :-P

post-349-145494290863_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic of the two batches I made yesterday. I got called into work, so I won't be able to wash them today:-x. I'm trying to decide the best way to wash them. I think I'll drain out the glycerin and pour them into a two gallon jar with a spicket at the bottom...like a sun tea jar or something. Then I can wash it and drain off the water easier. I'll post pics when I'm done.

post-349-145494290868_thumb.jpg

In ymmot's pic of the yellow batch.. can you see that it has that haze to it?? that is the left over residue which is like soap. When i knew the batch was good after filtering, you should be abe to read a news paper through it. Other sites will tell you the same. I am not trying to come off like a bio super star, i just put alot of time and effort into what i did run. sorry.

In ymmot's pic of the yellow batch.. can you see that it has that haze to it?? that is the left over residue which is like soap. When i knew the batch was good after filtering, you should be abe to read a news paper through it. Other sites will tell you the same. I am not trying to come off like a bio super star, i just put alot of time and effort into what i did run. sorry.

That was 45 minutes into settling AND my methanol wasn't pure. :-x