• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
MUDDY

SVO mixed in w/ the diesel

20 posts in this topic

well,,,,,on the 6.2 since the weather is nice i decided to try to mix in some veggie oil in w/ my diesel. 5 gallons veg, 15 diesel in the 20 gal tank. i can start and warm up and shut down on the other tank of diesel.

any comments,,,,,,,,warnings, etc??????

was thnkin of trying 5% to 10% on my 97 12v.[i have aux tank on it too] i read that a direct inj engine it isnt good to do too much veggie. and they say dont get carried away on an idi either.

dunno........... ???????????????????

There is a decent article on www.journeytoforever.org that covers strait wvo, or wvo and diesel mixtures. I don't really want to take the chance on plugging the pump or injectors, so I think I will just stick to the bio-diesel. This site also has recipes for making bio-diesel using a two stage process where sulfuric acid is used for the first stage, then lye and methanol for the second. I have a feeling the more popular making bio-diesel becomes, the more they age going to charge us for the chemicals. $$$

I don't know....just the thought of wax build up in the injectors and pump are enough to hold me back. On the other hand, if you don't make the bio-diesel correctly, excess lye in the fuel that hasn't been fully washed out can also hurt your pump:drool Are there any members who are currently making and running their own diesel?

yeah....guess I should read back a little :lol:. How have your batches turned out lately? I think I'll try a batch on tue and wed.

Thats one thing I was worried about. Are there any suppliers of GOOD methanol in this area?

i know a guy locally who has a drum of methanol. he sold his bio outfit and has meth that he may sell. i need to contact.

I don't know....just the thought of wax build up in the injectors and pump are enough to hold me back. On the other hand, if you don't make the bio-diesel correctly, excess lye in the fuel that hasn't been fully washed out can also hurt your pump:drool Are there any members who are currently making and running their own diesel?

i got an oil burner heater, ex military. had used svo burnt in it and plastic like residue stuck to it. makes me nervous. but maybe mixed w/ diesel it wldnt happen. and start and shutdown on diesel only.

maybe on the 12v i'll just try a mixture of 1 gallon per 35 gal tank. doubt i shld need to wrry bout tht ratio.

if i live another 20 yrs that 97 needs to be in top notch condition as its my last towing truck and ill be buried in it

I think if ou used canola in warm weatehr up to 10% you may get by blending. However I would recomend doing a two tank conversion and doing it right. I have used Frybrid and Plantdrive kits with good success. I also love the Fossil Free Fuels Filter. Feel free to give me a call. Maybe we should organize a bomb party where we do veg conversions and make biodiesel. I will throw in 100 gallon of oil that has been cleaned to .5 microns and centrifuge dewatered. I also have some virgin oil we could play with. My number is 208-808-4489.

heck,,,,,,,i'd love to do a mini bomb alt fuel party. :thumbup: now that im feeling half way human and the rds are clear time for a trip out

Yup, at the ratios you were talking about I also think you will be fine. The alt fuel bomb party sounds great too. Wednesday I'm going to buy some Methanol from united oil, so I'll supply that for the party, like 15 gal or so???

15 gallons is enough to make about 150gallons!!!! and that is without distilling the methanol back out of the Glycerin.

How much are you planning on making??

I have about 200 gallons of oil saved up. I was going to bring enough methanol to cover whatever we decided to do for the party. 15 gallons is probably a bit much for a bomb party though...lol!

I hooked up a distillation capture on my reactor and the amount recovered is evaporated in a day. You don't get much in that process. My experience.

Oh yea i have 40 gal of meth for sale, muddy already hit me up. got it from united delivered. what is the price now adays? I think i paid 2.75/gal.

It's something like 4.63/gal in the 55 gal drums. 6.09/gal if you only buy 5gal at a time. Looks like it went up a bit since you got yours.