Sign in to follow this  
nate

Truck is dead

Just my luck. I thought my alternator was acting funny over the past bit and this morning it bit the dust.

Made it to work and it's still parked there. :lol: I pulled the battery out of my Jeep and that should be strong enough to get it back home tommorrow.

Going to bring the alternator to a shop, I'm thinking it will be cheaper than a new one, plus I don't trust those Napa/Schucks reman'd ones. I bet they pay some Mexican's $0.65 an hour to slap them together.

Guest Mopar1973Man

On the older Dodges 70's I used to just rebuild what was wrong with them. Like brushes was a common fault or diodes... Brushes are still sold for the older alternators for about $8 bucks.

As for the newer alternators... I've never had a chance to open one up and see if there is anything you could rebuild on your own...

Hey nate,

have you driven a :ford lately?

Mine has yet to leave me sitting ;)

Just being a :smart:( | ) . Hope you get it fixed quickly.

alright go play in your own neighborhood ford boy. :nono:

just kidding did you get my deal done yet no hurry as long as its done by last week.

Guest Mopar1973Man

have you driven a :ford lately?

More like...

"Have you driven over a :ford lately with a Cummins?" :wink:

Back at you Tom... :lol:

You have to be able to keep them running to be able to run something over :twisted:

Well after I got it fired up I drove it 12 miles with the volt guage under 8 volts. If I pushed the brakes, the air bag, , etc lights would all come on :lol:

Guest Mopar1973Man

I'm surprised that the computer didn't puke all over with voltage that low... :shock: I'm glad you got it started and running... :thumbup:

Now you got to fix the problem... :roll:

Guest Mopar1973Man

You have to be able to keep them running to be able to run something over :twisted:

Tom... I'm not broke down currently... :smart:( | )

Yeah I'm going to pull the alternator off this weekend and pull it apart. Might just need brushes.

First off call NAPA or a parts store and see if you can get brushes and other internal parts. While your at it check on the price of a full alternator too...

As you crack it open take you time and look at very thing as it seperates. There might be a trick to hold the brushes back will the armature is slid into place. You might call and ask a shop about it too...

Just trying to save you some frustration... :wink:

Larry B carries brushes for ~$25 so I'll be ok if that's all the issue is. I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit outside before I go out there and work on the truck. :lol:

Guest Mopar1973Man

Well dang... That's going to be a cheap fix if it is the brushes wore out on the armature... :thumbup:

Yea I got to admit its cold here too... 12*F for a high today... Brrr...

My alt went out about a month ago. brushes were bad but the slip rings were grooved bad. dont have to take alt apart brush holder is under dust cover on back slip rings stick out of housing never seen them that small before. ended up buy reman $$$

Yup I knew where the brushes are. Nipsodenso alternators are pretty much all the same.

I got it off the truck this afternoon and the brushes were ok, but the slip rings were wasted. The one closer to the back of the alternator was worn in nearly an 1/8".

I got a remaned one from Carquest, $165. It had a printout and at 6000rpm it makes 188amps, even though it's considered a 120 amp alternator.

I'm not sure how alt rpms = 1 engine rpm, I'd guess 3 or 4 judging by the pulley size though.

What's the normal charging output for these trucks??

I'm used to seeing around 13.8v on most cars. I'm seeing 14.4 on this one.

Does that sound normal??

Guest Mopar1973Man

Normal charge rate can be as low as 13.2 Volts to as high as 15.5 Volts. It all depends on the battery temperature. The colder the batteries are the high the charging voltage is going to be. And reverse that for summer time... It will go lower...

Reason being for this is that cold batteries don't like to charge so the charge voltage is increased a little bit to make the battery start to heat up a bit. As the battery starts to warm up the voltage with fall back to a normal 13.5-14.5V range...

This also keeps the batteries from getting too gassy or not charging completely... :thumbup: