Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Bubba

Hey Computer Guru's

Got some questions about new laptop's. I have to get another computer since me and the wife will be living seperate lives for a while during this move. I have an older laptop that the kid was using for school until he upgraded, but this thing is loaded with all pirated operating systems and programs that don't work worth a damn. So my first question is would it be cheaper to just dump all the old crap and have new programs installed or just buy a new one that comes with them.

This computerr is also having a charging problem so it won't work off of the battery. It says it's only getting like 9 volts or something and need more than that to charge. So if I'm gonna use this one I also have to address that problem.

Lastly, on the new laptops we were looking at they all say sattelite ready. Is this just a new advertising gimmick or does it mean something real.

It's your call really.

My laptop is 6 years old... still works for what I need it for. I just called Microsoft and got another user license or something like that since my copy of Windows is loaded on my desktop. I think it was free actually.

Guest Mopar1973Man

I would connect the manufacture of the laptop and request for the orignal CD's for the laptop. This will take care of the software problem.

Batteries for laptops are expensive. Most of the time they last about 30-45 mintues anyways for heavy loads. I would suggest you find a 100-200W power inverter for you car/truck and just plug it in. Then you'll always have power. This is what I do for my laptop...

I'm not sure about the satellite ready thing... I gave up on laptop since they are the most expensive thing to upgrade and limited to how much. Like my sony laptop can upgrade the RAM from 128 MB to 256 MB MAX. and it will cost me $150 bucks... For that money I can buy PC3200 1.0 GB RAM for my tower... Again the hard drives are expensive to. I've got a 10 GB hard drive in my laptop and it will cost me about $250 buck for a 80GB drive... Geez for that much I can get a 200-300 GB SATA hard for my tower...

Remember the small size and being portable it going to cost you more!

I'm currently running...

* MSI K9NU Motherboard AM2 Socket (Dual Core Ready)

* 1.0 GB Ram 533 MHz DDR

* AMD 3500+ 64 Bit Processor

* 250 GB hard Drive (Primary)

* 200 GB Hard Drive (Secondary)

* DVD-RW Burner

* 32X CD-ROM Reader

* NVidia 7200 Video Card 256 MB DDR

* TV Tuner

* Sound Blaster Audigy

* 19" Flat panel monitor (6 ms)

I did all this for less that $1,000...

DSCF0560.jpg

This is a old picture... But this is the computer... The monitor is a flat panel now 19 inch...

Guest 9812VCTD

I don't understand anything you just said mike but sounds like a nice computer, cool looking too! 8)

Justin

Guest Mopar1973Man
I still have all the original drive disk that came with it. I'm just lookin for the cheapest way to get her on the internet out there. Thanks

Then run the recovery software. Remember the hard drive will be wiped blank again so if there is anything you want yet you better back up first thing.

As for getting on the internet. Does it have a network socket or modem? Just plug in the cord and go. As for wireless I would suggest you stay away from it. Ir's a bigger headache than you want right now. Most wireless connections (54Mb/s) are slower than wired (100 MB/s). Also the security feature is difficult to use. Most everyday people fight with this... Where with wired network it just works everytime no configuring required.

Guest Mopar1973Man
I don't understand anything you just said mike but sounds like a nice computer, cool looking too! 8)

Justin

Ok you want to have some fun... Just take my specs I listed above and find a Sundays paper and compare parts. You'll find out that what I got is a hotrod over anything you can buy in a store!

Better yet mine is a one of a kind- PERIOD! there isn't another one like it! 8)

Yes I've been building copmuters for 17+ years now. I will tell you that yes you can buy a cheap computer on the market but you only going to get what you paided for. Also when it does fail you will be stuck to buy part from only that manufacturer. Since I make generic machines you not bound to me or any company for part or repairs. You can buy parts for any of my computers at any store you want. NO LIMITATIONS!

I've goot over 200+ custom machines sold and never seen one come back that has completely failed and/or wasn't satisified. Several of my customers call me back in about 5 years and re-gut the case with updated parts for a fraction of the cost of new!

I have about $300-400 in my computer :lol: It's about 4 years old now. Something I threw together with "junkyard" parts.

P3 733mhz

512ram

160GB HD

32Mb video

DVD burner

Firewire

Wireless network

17" flat screen

Guest Mopar1973Man
It's about 4 years old now. Something I threw together with "junkyard" parts.

Don't bother asking how big my junkyard is... :lol:

Have anything newer than a P3 733? motherboard/chip.

The one I have now is an Asus dunno if there's a special size to them or something?

I just threw a bunch of parts together not knowing what I was doing and somehow it worked. :lol:

Guest Mopar1973Man
Have anything newer than a P3 733? motherboard/chip.

The one I have now is an Asus dunno if there's a special size to them or something?

I just threw a bunch of parts together not knowing what I was doing and somehow it worked. :lol:

As a matter of fact I've got a 1.2 GHz AMD sitting in my shop as bench computer... I've got some other processors but I would have to look at see what I got and test to see if they worked... :roll:

I have a b325698 Mother Fawker Board on mine.

Whew all of that computer stuff flew right over my head.

I know where the power button and control alt delete buttons are.

Steve

Guest Mopar1973Man

well geez Steve... You fell into the wrong thread then... :lol:

Between Tom and I we should be able to build you a kick arse machine when ever you deside too... :twisted:

Computer bombing is like Cummins bombing once you start its hard to stop... I've got two bombing bugs biting me in the arse! :lol:$$$

I'm too busy saving and planning for my retirement to BOMB my computers. For crying out loud I have a Celeron 500 with 256 MB of RAM and a 80GB HDD. :lol:

The wife's PC is nice as it was purchased just after christmas when her old one died.

I gotta save my pennies and nickles so I can drill a well, do a perc test, and have someone with a dozer clear out an area on my property up in WA. Enough room for an IBF camp out, but it is 15 miles NORTH of Spokane. :lol: There could be one member there besides me as he is from Deer Park, WA.

Nope I want to retire and have fun. Go camping and not worry about WHEN I have to be back. Or just decide that, "Hey, I think I want to go fishing in Yellowstone, and on the way back I'll stop in Maine for some FRESH lobster."

:lol:

Nope I want to retire and have fun. Go camping and not worry about WHEN I have to be back. Or just decide that, "Hey, I think I want to go fishing in Yellowstone, and on the way back I'll stop in Maine for some FRESH lobster."

:lol:

Man Social Security must be paying good when we are 65 Tom. I feel your pain, i am saving 300.00 a month in my 401k, now that leaves a mark.

Steve

Just picked this laptop computer up from the shop. Cost me $65 for them to wipe everything clean, load XP Pro, DVD drivers, Nero Burning Software and McAffee Antivirus. They even setup the wireless card that was with it. Hell can't beat that deal.

I don't remember it being that expensive even.

I grew up in Maine BTW. Potato country though. I think I ate lobster maybe 2 or 3 times in 18 years I lived in Maine. The stuff is nasty and a PITA to cookl.

You can get Lobster in Maine for about $5 per lbs. Problem is the drive is kind of long :lol:

that is a pretty good deal if you owned all the software to begin with.

I usually charge $25 to $50 to rebuild someones computer.

That is a pretty good C840 if it came with a burner. They are good machines and worth the $65

If the software isn't yours and you don't want to spend money on an OS, there are several free linux OS that will do what you want to do. And most are fairly easy to install.

By the way if you have a slower computer Norton and McAfee are not the way to go for Anti-Virus software. Those of us that enjoy the free world use a light weight AV program. Do a search for FREE AVG they also have free spyware software and firewalls too.

Glad you got it fixed.