jmono

48re questions

I get paraniod when it comes to my truck. The 3-4 shift seems to be weird to me. BUT maybe its just me.

:smart: Here's the low down. When I get on the on ramp and mash the throttle to get onto the freeway it drops a gear (this is going about 35ish+) and then it hits 3k, and stays there until it shifts to fourth, and then it drops 3-400 rpm and then hits 3k again. I can't quite tell if it's slipping or if it's defueling.

Anybody got any ideas, or think i'm crazy. Maybe John (Powerfreak) will chime in and help me explain this because I showed him what it did today and he was confused... Am I just crazy or is something wrong? :confused:

I believe there is a TSB for this, the 06-07.5 dont have a kick down cable and there is some issues with the trans shifts with interference. Bill at DTT has a box for this.

I tend to think your truck is fine... It is really hard to say for sure; but, there is enough slip in the torque converter when it is unlocked to allow the engine to rev right up there and stay there. I don't like how much it revs up most of the time, especially when the engine is cold. When you have a load hooked up, it is perfect! That is what these trucks are 'tuned' for really. Ever since they were first made, they have always been about moving the 'most freight' and doing it well. They are set up about the best they can be for overall being able to cover all situations in the factory 'tune'.

Hopefully this describes your truck and there isn't anything wrong with it. I did just get a new flash installed on mine. This may be what Al is refering to. The number they list is: PCM TSB 18-003-06 Rev A, shift quality improvements. It is supposed to help with the 'uncertain' upshift from 2 to 3 when it goes back and forth like it can't decide which gear to use. It was just done, so I'll have to see if it helps.

yup thats the one, this erratic shifting will cause premature failure of the trans.

my interior trim sub contractor had his trans go at 30k. we put in a DTT convertor and the filter box ($265) and all is great now.

Yeah, 6" lift w 37" tires and Bully Dog on the perf. setting (90hp). you dont have to be modded though, the funky shifting will kill a stock truck just as well.

Millco, did you have the dealer give you a new flash?

How much power can the stock hold? I was looking at having Lumpdog install a shift kit for me in the future. All I plan on doing is staight pipe, intake, chip, and maybe a lift pump. Would I need to beef up the tranny any more then just a shiftkit?

Jake,

Yes the dealer did the flash on my last visit (At least they got something done....).

Mine only did the hunting for a gear at real light throttle on take off. Give it any more than just a light throttle and it did fine!

I think I wouldn't add any more than about 50 HP to a stock trans. Of course it depends on how hard you are on it as well. Much more than that and you need to think about more tranny upgrades.....

I would start with the shift kit, the band strut, and the servo cover to start with. That upgrade right there will increase clutch life and trans durability.

It makes a huge difference.

Camping season is getting close, and looks like we will be going out alot this year... I need to start looking into upgrades $$$

What kind of shift kit did you putin that other 48re Chris?

Guest ShanesLB7

Me personally... I would just get a tranny built.... You'd be sooo much happier...

Well, I don't have the bucks to toss up on a built tranny. Plus I don't know how long we're keeping the truck. It is a lease, and I don't wanna get to crazy. That is unless I know for sure we are going to keep it after the lease is up.

Well, I thought I really liked the new tune on the tranny (software from Dodge). Last night, it did the strangest thing it has ever done. When I got to town with the engine 3/4 warmed up; I was accelerating from a stop. I had the e-brake on so normally after shifting into 3rd around 25 mph it will go up to 30 mph and lock the torque converter. This is normal ever since the truck was new. And the only thing having the e-brake on changes is locking the torque converter at 30 mph in 3rd instead of waiting 'till 50 mph in 4th to lock it. And up until last night the only changes with the new 'tune' were that it shifted a little later into 3rd than before and that all shifts seem firmer and more precise than before. All of these conditions or shifts are under a light, making fuel mileage, throttle. Getting after it changes everything!

Ok, last night after it shifted into 3rd at around 25mph and then locked the torque at 30mph, I had accelerated on and then at about 35mph it happened. I'm not sure exactly what it did; but, I think it deffinately unlocked the torque and may have went down to 2nd gear. It only did this momentarily as I hit a bump or uneven place that went accross my lane. It went right back into 3rd and lock up. It was almost as if I had instantly floored it momentarily and then let off instantly. If it's not software (Which I don't think it would be) then it makes me wonder if I have a wiring problem. Remember the chaffed wire problem over by the A/C compressor? I think that is a 5v sensor line and if it gets grounded somewhere it causes weird problems like this. I know that area of mine isn't causing problems as I put wire loom over it right away to protect it!

If its not my throttle (APPS) having a bad spot in it, do any of you know of another problem area for the wiring on our trucks? Maybe I'm starting to have a short developing somewhere else. I say it could be the APPS, because I probably very slightly pushed down on the pedal because of that bump. I drive this road every day, so it isn't like that is something new.

Anyone have any ideas?

I get paraniod when it comes to my truck. The 3-4 shift seems to be weird to me. BUT maybe its just me.

:smart: Here's the low down. When I get on the on ramp and mash the throttle to get onto the freeway it drops a gear (this is going about 35ish+) and then it hits 3k, and stays there until it shifts to fourth, and then it drops 3-400 rpm and then hits 3k again. I can't quite tell if it's slipping or if it's defueling.

Anybody got any ideas, or think i'm crazy. Maybe John (Powerfreak) will chime in and help me explain this because I showed him what it did today and he was confused... Am I just crazy or is something wrong? :confused:

Sounds like the TC is unlocking after it shifts to OD. Should not do that, however, some trucks will unlock the TC at WOT. Try lifting of the throttle and see if that helps.

Is truck still accelerating in when it sits at 3k?

Sounds like the TC is unlocking after it shifts to OD. Should not do that, however, some trucks will unlock the TC at WOT. Try lifting of the throttle and see if that helps.

Is truck still accelerating in when it sits at 3k?

That's what I was thinking. It feels kind of like its slipping. Lifting off the throttle it does much better, is there anything I can do to help this? I'm thinking about the trasngo shift kit, would that help? Yes it still accelerates, but it's hard to tell how much.

Dan, that's weird. I havent really had any problems like that.

Jmono, do you have mods that are not listed? smarty, bullydog,ect.?

i still say TQ convertor and shift box and be done with it unless you plan on getting "stupid" with future mods.

No I don't I wish... $$$ I'll probably have a smarty within a couple of months (fingers crossed.) By then I hope to have a 2nd Gen with lots of mods. If I have a 2nd gen by then, I won't smarty this one. I need someone to buy my ford... :-(

:smart: It's a toy so I won't have to mess with the 06 and kill my warranty. Plus it's leased and I dunno if I wanna keep it after the lease is up. Not everyone is rich enough to put twins and run 10's on a common rail... ( | ):thumbup::twisted:

That's what I was thinking. It feels kind of like its slipping. Lifting off the throttle it does much better, is there anything I can do to help this? I'm thinking about the trasngo shift kit, would that help? Yes it still accelerates, but it's hard to tell how much.

Dan, that's weird. I havent really had any problems like that.

Well, Chris put the shift kit in mine and really fixed all the problems I was having. Even with Smarty Wild on #9 it would shift great at WOT or minimal throttle. I have a DTT shift enhancer also so maybe it is helping some. At WOT throttle mine will sit between 3000-3200 rpms until OD hits and it drops to about 2600 and keeps accelerating. The OD shift and lockup is positive enough it bark the turbo if you don't stay in the throttle, but, the Smarty is contributing to that.

Just don't go WOT throttle until your over 65 mph or so worked on mine when it was stock.

Dans little episode is not unusual. It used to happen to mine stock also. The speed limit at 25 mph and the stupid ridges in the road tend to cause the truck to bounce enough I think it is slipping the tires enough to sense a condition it can't handle and it tends to hunt. That was cured with the shift kit also.

The Transgo shift kit helps but it is not a cure all for the flaky way the TV servo wants to operate. Frequently it just does weird things because it really is a stupid little program and controller. All in all, the kit sure addresses the problems with shuttle shift and part throttle operation with more power.

Once I get a transgo in it, I think I'm going to look into the dtt shift enhance, what else should I look into. I'm going to have intake edge and a 5" exhaust here soon. I wanna stack an MP-8 and maybe pick up a set of 50 hp nozzles. Will I be ok or should I upgrade my tranny some more?

Guest ShanesLB7
Once I get a transgo in it, I think I'm going to look into the dtt shift enhance, what else should I look into. I'm going to have intake edge and a 5" exhaust here soon. I wanna stack an MP-8 and maybe pick up a set of 50 hp nozzles. Will I be ok or should I upgrade my tranny some more?

Your border line the next thing to go will be a shaft...