JoshH

Transmission cooler line ideas

So, I'm tired of my transmission cooler lines leaking, but I don't want to just get them replaced because they'll just start leaking again. I'm thinking about taking my stock cooler lines and modifying them to get rid of the factory ruber part with the crimps (as that seems to be where they are leaking) and put some AN fittings on the end of the hard line. I ran across these while I was looking through Summit's website. They're good for 50 psi, but I have no idea how much pressure runs through the cooler. I figured if the cooler sees more than 50 psi then I could flare the end of the line and use some inverterd flare to AN adapters.

I also need to find out what type of fitting and what size the cooler has. I think someone could realistically build a set of lines using their stock lines for under $100. I'm going to do some more research and see what I can find out. Thoughts?

ear-165008erl_w.jpg

Josh, check with Napa on using hydraulic line connections. I know they can make all sorts of lines. Might be cheaper than all the fancy race shop -AN fittings

Josh i think you will still need a section of flex line in there. I had similar problems with my 94 chev with oil cooler lines, i cut out the soft section , flared each side of the hard lines and installed hyd hose in between, it worked great for the whole time i had the truck.

Josh i think you will still need a section of flex line in there. I had similar problems with my 94 chev with oil cooler lines, i cut out the soft section , flared each side of the hard lines and installed hyd hose in between, it worked great for the whole time i had the truck.

Sorry Steve, I guess I wasn't really clear. Where the stock like goes from steel to rubber I was going to see about cutting the hard line, adapting it to AN and then using braided stainless line with AN fitting on the ends. I went out and looked at the cooler and I think it may have AN fittings on the cooler, but I'd have to remove the lines from the cooler to be sure.

On 06 and 07 classics they tend to leak quite often. Mine have been leaking for about the past 20k miles, give or take a few. I think Randy said he was on his 3rd set on his truck.

GM has been having problems with leaking oil cooler (and now trans) lines since at least the 80s. I don't understand why it's so hard to make a line that doesn't leak!

My brother had an 93 1/2 ton with a 350... lines leaked. I guess it's common on the 6.2L/6.5L trucks too.

He once bought a replacement set (not cheap!) and they didn't seal up any better.

Yeah, you'd think they'd come up with a better idea on that one.. Mine has been replaced a couple times and they leak again... Keep me posted Josh on what you come up with..

I heard 80psi on the stock Allison Josh. This from a GM tech schooled in the Allison/Dmax.
Thanks Rob. Looks like I'll be taking them to a hydraulic line shop probably.