• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
Guest BigBully

Earthquake.... Did you feel it?

Guest 9812VCTD   
Guest 9812VCTD

Did it rattle Kev out of bed so he coud get my turbo taken off......:lol: I didn't notice anything down this way...

Justin

YMMOT    0

3.0 is where they start to be felt. Anything less and you have to be either real sensitive to them or not moving.

4.0 is 10 times stronger than a 3.0. 5.0 is times that of a 4.0 and so on.

Here is a nice chart: Richter Magnitudes

The 1989 San Francisco quake that made the freeway collapse was a 7.1 You can see what a 7.1 looks like here

jmono    0

This was a decent quake. The big one that caused the tsunami was a 9 something I think, and it was like 100+ times bigger. I learned about it in geology last year but have since forgotten.

jmono    0

yeah it was an upper 9 I can't remember exactly. for every number you go up it increases exponentially. If I remember right the magic number was a 32. Like from a 6-7 was 32x's and a 7-8 was 64, but I can't remember. it increases fast, and alot.

Guest BigBully   
Guest BigBully

That is insane.. So the Wells quake was a decent size one.. It must have been if I felt it at my house.

YMMOT    0

Oops.. I did that wrong... it's logarthmic.

To put this in terms of Yield of TNT

6.0...........1 million tons

7.0...........32 million tons

8.0...........1 billion tons

9.0...........32 billion tons

So way more than 33 time the strength as I said earlier

jmono    0

Volcanoes cause siesmic activity because of moving magma underground moving through lava tubes. But I don't think an earthquake can set off a volcano.

Guest BigBully   
Guest BigBully
Volcanoes cause siesmic activity because of moving magma underground moving through lava tubes. But I don't think an earthquake can set off a volcano.

Well... wasn't it an earthquake that screwed up Old Faithful? Granted that isn't a volcano... But it was a thought.

jmono    0

Old Faithful is cause by geothermal activity of yellowstone. Yellowstone is a hot spot, which is a type of volcano that erupts like once every 500 million years or some jibberish like that. Yellowstone moves with the plate that it sits on. Which is why there is craters of the moon etc etc. ANYWAYS Basically Old Faitful heats until the water til it shoots up, and then fills with water, and then heats up and does it over and over again. Let me know if this explains your question.. It's been a while since I have thought about it so I could be missing/getting stuff wrong.

YMMOT    0

Pretty much right on.....

BTW The Yellowstone super volcano is due to erupt again. Last time it did, it blew 50 miles of mountain range away.