Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Bubba

Need Some Tire Advice

I have it narrowed down between two different tires that are Mud Grip, E rated tires in the 33" diameter that I want. Local prices here seem kinda high on em but maybe somebody can leed me to a cheaper place.

Toyo M/T LT285/75R16 Local Price $235ea

Firestone M/T LT285/75R16 Local Price $221ea

Also looking for any comments from those who have used either of them. Thanks

Guest Mopar1973Man

Well sorry to say but I can't tell you about those tire but...

Big O XT - 265/75 R16's

DSCF1147-640x480.jpg

I've never had to chain up yet and the tire howl is minmal...I got all 4 tire for $700 roughly... Really good tire... 40K life span roughly.

Are they an E rated tire, is always the big question. I've spun the tread right off two different D rated tires on this truck because of the trailer weight at highway speeds. Still carryin one in the back of the truck that just haven't gotten rid of yet.

Guest marksmith

Big O is a tire chain. (Kinda like LesSchwab)

Their XT is a good tire. I ran them on my 95 and had EXTREMELY good luck with them. They also give a replacement warranty. Not pro-rated, just bring it in. If they can't fix them, they'll give ya a new one.

when buying tires make sure they have the same production # on them. I read a artictle on tires in the 70's. Some of the reasons are warranty if one gets recalled they all get recalled, wear is even, rubber compounds the same. day to day temp and humiditly and rubber batchs change hardness. softer wears faster harder wears longer. you noticed rigs with tread depth low on one or two tires and the others maybe still have plenty of rubber on them. Since that article i've insisted on matching # when i'm reddy for a new set,the wear is even on all 4 old tires. sometimes I will have to wait a extra day till they have them in from other stores. I never been disappointed. Don't let them tell you that it doesn't matter IT DOES

Guest Mopar1973Man

Thats interesting... I'll keep that in mind next time I buy tires!

Thanx RiverRat! :smart:

I've had good luck with Cooper Dicoverer series of tires. Have them on the wife's F150 and they are wearing like IRON with about 25,000miles on them.

I bought some Les Schwab Open Country A/T's for the F350 and I'm not really impressed with them as far as traction goes so far. I'll have to see how they wear though.