• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Big Daddy

update

Here is an update on the truck, for those of you who are interested. So far we (Andy, AKA CumminsPatrol) have chopped the old bed and frame off, and have started rebuilding the back half of the truck to add a custome flatbed. We are going to be adding 2 1/2 ton rockwell axles, with 4 link suspension, sway-away coilovers, 52 inch tires, and an external roll cage. When it is done, it will be a beast! You can click on the pics to see them full size.

th_ttruck_010.jpg th_ttruck_009.jpg th_ttruck_008.jpg th_ttruck_007.jpg th_ttruck_006.jpg

th_ttruck_005.jpg th_ttruck_004.jpg th_ttruck_003.jpg th_ttruck_002.jpg th_ttruck_001.jpg

I'll be curious to know what gears you are going to be running. I know that deuce and half trucks were like 6.72:1. With 52" tall tires and a .77 OD that would have you about 2200 RPMs at 65.

Yeah if you can even bring those tires up to 65mph without shaking the truck apart! I think Idaho has a frame height law, as well as headlight and bumper height for sure, so not sure if it would even be street legal.

I'll be curious to know what gears you are going to be running. I know that deuce and half trucks were like 6.72:1. With 52" tall tires and a .77 OD that would have you about 2200 RPMs at 65.

if he's using the tires I think he's talking about, they are the same tires my 7-ton truck had in Iraq and California, I never got any vibration at all from them, they are much higher quality than the old 5-ton and 2-1/2 ton truck tires from the days of old.

The only gears that come in Rockwell axles are 6.72. no other options out there. As for frame height, never heard of it. Bumper height for a 4wd is 30 in the front and 31 in the rear. You just make drop bumpers to conform. Headlight law is to the center of the light it cannot exceed 52 inches.

So is this for wheeeling/mud or just a Mall Crawler?

it is definately for wheelin as for getting up to speed i checked the gearing and i should be at 2200 rpm at 65 mph as for vibration the tires are radials and not bias ply. there are always skeptics but dont worry it will be sweet:thumbup:

as for being street legal my only real concern is the width of the tires they will stick out 8 inches on each side wich will only be a problem for the front because the rear will have a custom flat bed i will post more pics next week once the rear axle and 4 link are fabricated.

No Skeptic here. I was just telling Tommy it's not going to be a highway rig. In Alaska we called those things Moose Buggies cause they were used for hunting.

Cetane... those tires mounted on a heavy ass truck is a different animal... there's enough weight to flex them a bit. I bet Big Daddy will be able to run these with close to 0psi on that truck.

I figured it wasn't gonna be a highway runner.... but he COULD drive local to get to some place rather than trailer it.

I didn't think he was building a commuter vehicle.

granted, but if he's running the 52" Michelin's that I think he is, they are really a great tire and I've actually seen them on more than a couple pickups, the sidewall on them is VERY flexible and it really doesn't take much to make them flex, either way you know what I meant, I know what you meant, and I pretty much agree.

teds rig will be able to run down the highway with no vibration or steering issues.it will be no commuter unless you call truckin to your favorite camping spot commuting.those tires do seem a little stiff but thats not always a bad thing.it will make road handling characteristics much better than a comparable sized super swamper. as for being street legal,half the vehicles i drive technically are not street legal.but ive done my best to consider the toyota prias's on the road by running mud flaps and fender flares when needed.your project is so sweet big daddy.keep up the great work and stay motivated! ps.did your wife give you that name?