JoshH

Horn honks in reverse with door open?

A guy I work with just got an 03 Dodge 2500. When he first got the horn didn't work because the fuse needed to be replace. He put a replaced the fuse and found out that the horn honks when you open the door while in reverse. Is this normal or is there something goofy with his truck? Is there a way to disable it?

Mine Honks aswell. I have no clue if there is a way to disable it. Figured it was supposed to honk. Scares me sometimes because I don't always expect it.

It is normal and in the owners manual, there is a procedure to disable it!:thumbup:

Nope! Sorry, if you got it your stuck with it, that is until Marco gets into ALL the MADS software. :)

this is a new flash that the dealers are doing on the older trucks. comes from the factory that way on the 06's and newer. you can jumper the wires under the seat for the seat belt latch and it won't do it anymore.

The reason that is out there is the trans shifting setup is a pile of crap. People where leaving the truck running, thinking it was in park, but it was actually in reverse.

Open door, get out... truck is in reverse... problem there!

So Dodge comes out with this horn honking as the fix for it :shock::lol:

This is maddening! It got put on mine before I showed up to purchase her. If you take it in for anything, it may well get done to yours (sometimes, even when you tell them NO!). If you don't already have it: I would tape a note with bold letters drawing attention to how you feel about this 'update' right in the middle of your steering wheel when you go in. Hopefully that will remind the tech that you said NO!

If you go under your seat and disconnect the two wires for the seatbelt (Not the multi-wire connector for seat power and heat!), you can put in a short piece of small wire to short out the two together and then just plug it back together. Now, be careful; because the truck won't honk anymore as it is backing over you...

Supposedly they were having a problem with them 'coming' out of park on their own. I would think it better to just fix the shift mechanism so it won't come out of park. Now, everyone around will be alerted to the fact that your truck is running you over. I would rather not call attention to such an event......

lol @ dan

some have mad a cover for the plug which can be locked to keep stealerships from 'tampering' with your truck by putting in unwanted evil reflashes

Dodge sent me no less than 10 recall notices about this and i ignored everyone. last couple times truck was in the shop they said by law they were supposed to do it, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, my dealer is AWESOME!!!!!!!!

yeah its stupid, my concrete guy had an 05 and he put it in park, left it running and next thing he knows he backed through circuit city in Ammon.

HEY,, LOOK OUT EVERYONE MY TRUCK IS COMMING!!!!!!!!

thats all that alarm is for.

Maybe we need to start a class action against Chrysler on this one. If there is a problem with them coming out of park, then the mechanism needs to be fixed! A previous poster was dead on about this just being a 'CEO feelgood fix'. The guy probably did get a 'bonus' for saving so much money. A software mod like this would cost them very little. Recalling who knows how many trucks and replacing the shifting mechanism or who knows what all, would cost them a mint.

I talk to this kind of people too often. I refer to them as having an office with no windows! (I can't think of a way to say my next sentence 'tactfully' so I guess I will just leave my boss out of this......).

You know to me this is the same mentality as sueing the manufacture for making a product that was mis-used. I purposefully didn't name any products! It doesn't matter what the product is: an inanimate object is not responsible for anything. It is supposed to be up the the meatbag holding it or possessing it to use it lawfully or correctly. Followed out a bit this 'logic' will have mini-van makers being sued out of existance because their product was used to mow down pedestrians or something.

COME ON!! Knock out a wall or two and put in a window. In fact, put in a lot of windows. There is a whole big world out there just waiting to teach you a thing or two (or for that matter, a few million things!).

Oh, don't get me started.........

Well, we just went outside and tested the buckled up theory and it doesn't work on his truck. The horn still honks. I guess he's stuck with it.

06 and newer trucks come from the factory with it. (if i recall correctly) let them do it, jumper the wires under your seat for the belt latch and never worry about it again.

the jeep Cherokees were doing this and they replaced the Park/Pawl for a much tighter engagement. Then people started to complain it was hard to get out of park and into gear. When I was writing service at a jeep dealer, i told them what is better, getting run over by your own vehicle or putting some muscle into shifting your rig. wanted to tell them to grow a set and put the damn thing in gear and drive it. guess that is why i am not writing service anymore, there are some DUMB people out there.