• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Hyde

Need to get some action

Guest 9812VCTD

First diesel I ever had was a 92 IDI only had it a month but it wasn't a bad truck. Good to have you onboard for any help people may need with them.

Justin

Was thinking of getting an old 1986 f-250 6.9 diesel. I heard they get awesome fuel mileage & run pretty good with a banks or ats turbo setup. Then I keep thinking why do that when I can put the money into my cummins:-?

We have a 92 7.3 IDI, it was a workhorse, 18MPG, until Gemstate Fuel Injection basically blew up the engine, big nasty ordeal with those @%(#&s Lake City International was able to rescue it but its only gettin 12-14 now, Gemstate was nice enough to wetwash 6 of the cylinders for us :(

IDIs will run forever, guy in my NG unit had a 6.9 IDI a few years back, had 850,000 miles, no thats not a typo, they put a ATS turbo on at 400,000 and a propane inj on at 750000, impressive.

Dan

The early 7.3 idi's had issues, but the later 7.3 IDI's had about the same reputation as the 6.9's.

And don't tell the guys with later 7.3 Powerstrokes that their engines are no good. They might agree with you that the 4R100 wasn't the greatest transmissio to put behind the 7.3 though.

Of course Dodge NEVER had issues with their transmissions behind the Cummins, did they? :stir :poke

from what i hear, the 6.9 was the best diesel put in a ford from the factory. gutless but performance isnt the whole picture :thumbup:

Dont forget though Muddy, at the time, it was what technology at the time had to offer. (but they were a little gutless) :)

tom, i doubt the e40d and 4r100 wld hold behind a cummins half as long as behind a 7.3. low rpm hi-tq kills em all. on the other hand, depending on driving style and habits i've personally seen some hi milege 47-re's and owned one with a fair amount of miles, stock trans, mild power bombs.

a decent shape 6.9 in an 87 crewcab w/ a t-19 wld be a good combo for a run around truck :thumbup:

enuff guts for gettin down the rd. not the fasted but it'll get there.

I was really impressed with the power out my "gutless" 6.9.

As it made its final run from Kuna to Nampa, with a Blown Headgasket, I put the spurs to it, figured if I was taking a chance on melting her down, was gonna do it in style...

Momma kept calling on the cell phone, "Honey I'm 20 over an not catching you, could you slow down?"

Two buddys tailing her thought maybe the head wasn't blown, from the way it ran, except for all that pesky steam rolling out the pipe!

Basically if I was that happy with a N/A 6.9........ I sholdl be flat stoked with the 7.3 Turb on the horizon.

These guys that call them gutless are like me, 400+HP to the ground here, others at 300+ to the ground. The 6.9's had 185 at crank??

Sort of like going from a Ford Festiva to a Mustang GT when comparing Acceleration. A Festiva will run 80 (eventually), but a Mustang GT get's there MUCH quicker.

I get it... when I hear "gutless" I tend to thinkl of my half ton 6.2 Suburban... that was, well, little bit on the lethargic side..

185 at crank? isn't that real close to what a first gen 12 v cummins puts out? the number I have had in my head for years was 195?

What diesel engine would be in a '93 F350? We had one at work and it was a gutless wonder. Just as an example, with a 16' trailer loaded with two Kawasaki Mules (probably no more than 5,000 lbs) going out Hwy 51 towards Bruneau the truck would drop down to 30 climbing some of those hill on either side of the Snake River.

93 could have been a 7.3 IDI or a Turbo 7.3 IDI

Did some hunting... 6.9 was 170 HP. Non-turbo 7.3 IDI was 180 to 185. Turbo 7.3 IDI was 190.

But was I close on the guess of the dodge output?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.