• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

I have a 97 powerstroke and somrtimes while driving I can hear the turbo waste gate open. It dosen't happen all the time but when it does it only happens at a constant RPM or decelaration, when I accelerate it stops. Any ideas?

There is no wastegate on a 97, i bet what you are hearing is the EBPV..exhaust back pressure valve opening and closing. If the truck is under 140 deg it will come on closing a flapper in the exhaust side of the turbo. If you want it to stop you can unplug it , the plug is below the compressor side of the turbo, default is wide open all the time. Look for two wires coming off the left side of the turbo pedistal.

Im with Steve, its the ebpv, no wastegate. I have mine setup right now on a switch with diodes, it still allows the PCM to control it like stock but I also have manual command of it. Up position locks torque conv. and closes flapper when I hit my brakes, this is nice for exit ramps and such. Down position just closes it for coasting down hills. I tow here and there, honestly when I upgrade turbos itll be gutted and the turbo pedestal will get modified.

Does your ebpv come on even if the truck is warmed up? If so, start off by checking backpressure sensor and backpressure tube

Guest 9812VCTD

I unplugged mine and had Steve weld a EBPV housing up for me and got the gutted pedistal from him also.

1389116753064205362S600x600Q85.jpg

1389117285064205362S600x600Q85.jpg

Some reason didn't get any pics of the modded pedistal.

Justin

That explains alot. Cause it didn't start doing it until the weather got colder.This is my first power stroke I bought in November,I have an '86 6.9 that is turboed, this is so much more of a truck. the '86 would make a good work truck if any one is interested.Thanks for all your help, this is great!

Yea it does come on when warmed up. But takes a long to warm up. It dosen't do it all the time though, sometimes I can drive w/out it happening then the next time I start it it happens. Even right after it wasn't doing it.

sounds to me like the backpressure sensor, usually thats the first place to point the finger, or next bomb party we could gut it and figure a way to get ya a modded ped, guess it really depends on your intentions, if youre towin alot or not.

Guest POWERTRIP

You can do like Dan says, of i ya didnt want to tear into just yet you could unhook the ebpv lever and wire the valve open. I did this on mine after it kept stickin closed. Ran it for along time untill i got a chance to gut the ebpv.:thumbup:

Unless you use it for an exhaust brake there is no real benefit from it. Doesnt warm up any better with it or without it.

I heard that if you park your truck outside you need it to warm up faster...any truth to that? I must have the same brake as you do Dan, I took it off because i thought it was that what was keeping the EBPV on for so long in the morning.

Guest POWERTRIP

Well that is what it was meant for. But they dont work that great. That is why most people gut them. They will heat up just as good with or without it.:thumbup:

Well it turns out that the cutting out problem was the CPS kinda weird cause i always thought that they just went out but i replaced the one that i got at car quetst with one from Ford and it went away...fuel mileage got a little better.

I am some what new to the site so I was looking through some old posts.:whistle:I have had my 97 for oh gosh 10 maybe 12 yrs now.:ok: The last couple winters in has sounded like it's had a restiction on start up for about the first 5 or so minutes. Now it is starting to have that same feel when I go to accelerate it take a few second to get up and go. I just thought the ol turbo was getting tired:waah But after reading some of these posts maybe it's some thing else. Any input is greatly welcomed Thanks, Scott

Do you have a boost gauge? I'd be curious what it reads during this 'episode' . . . .

You can see this EBPV cycle and if you wanted to experiment, just unplug it or wire it in the open position and see if that makes this problem go away!! If I had one these I would want to wire it up and use it as an exhaust brake!

Scott,

If the "restriction" is heard only on start-up (and I'm assuming you mean during warm-up), I'd say that's the EBPV (Exhaust Back Pressure Valve) closing to help with the warm-up cycle. That's normal. Unplugging the EBPV like Dan suggested is an option lots of guys use. It's a two-wire connector to the lower driver's side of the turbo.

If the "restriction" is heard during every start-up, warm or cold, that might be an oiling issue and would definately be a BAD thing and should be looked at as soon as you can to avoid a catastrophic failure.

The acceleration issue could be a clogged fuel filter, clogged FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) screen, low fuel pressure, or a combination of these factors.