• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

lumpdog

4BT questions?

I have been doing some reading up and am seriously contemplating a 4bt swap into my 92 Suburban. Figured I could get some better mileage, more reliable power, and make it a nice mild tow rig.

The question I have is, does anyone know if there is any real differnce between the industial motors like our Case backhoes run and the 4bt's in a on road truck?

I was looking and I think I would buy a new bell housing adapter since the factory GM adapters I have seen clock the engine to the passenger side a bit.

Also, does anyone know of any locally that are not priced more than what I paid for the 92 Dodge?

I don't think there is any difference in the later models like a 580 super L, my dad has one and i have wrenched on it some, the super L's are turbo.

At the bomb party CumminsPatrol was there with his cummins powered 4bt twin turbo rig. The rig was very well put together with an awesome eye for detail.

Our 580SK has a turbo and VE pump, as does our 580 SL series 1. Our 580 Series 2 has a turbo motor with a P pump.

And the 1845C has a non turbo. I was told that the p pump engine was supposed to have a larger turbo and less compression.

It is a 1500 suburban with a 6 inch lift and 35's. Since I only really use it as a driver, I thought it would be nice to have a lighter motor, and a lot more engine compartment room.

Plus, fuel mileage would be a concern. And I want to run a 700r4 behind it. I figure if my 6bt is capable of hauling more than 22,000 lbs fairly well, a 4bt would push the 6500 lb suburban nicely, without too much weight on the front IFS.

The motors off tractors etc.... are basically the same but the ve pumps on most of them have no AFC or even a provision for one. I see them come up for sale occasionally but it seems cheaper to buy an entire breadvan or fritolay truck.