Guest Mopar1973Man

Axle Lube

Guest Mopar1973Man

Well it was time for the front and rear axles to get the gear lube change.

I started on the rear axle and popped the cover off it. It was getting dark in color which is totally normal for 30K miles on the lube. I let it drain for awhile and then clean the cover and scrape off the old silcone sealant. Put a new bead of silcone down and slap the cover back on. I re-loaded the rear axle with standard 80W-90 gear lube level with the hole like I've down for 90K miles. No it doesn't leak if its fill this high.

Then I moved to the front axle. The popped the cover on the front axle and found the gear lube has water in it. Whiteist color. The cover is rusted from the oil level up. So I let it drain and clean the cover up. Lid a new bead of silcone on the cover and slap it back up. Reloaded with gear lube and was done... The vent tube to the front axle is not damaged.

But what I'm going to bring up is the fact there is some people that are going to synthetics for the exteneded drain internvals. If you do any kind of off-roading, driving in flooded areas or deep snow. I would keep a close eye on the fluids in your axles. It don't take much to contaminate the fluids. My gear lube gets changed every 30K miles or about every 16 months (25K miles / year roughly). If you gear lube become contaminated with water or debris you MUST drain and refill... Personally IMHO I would rather change it often than try to extend the drain interval by using Synthetics... But that me...

Just something to think about...

Guest Mopar1973Man
I change mine every 15000 miles. Gear oil is like $40 for a 5 gallon bucket.

Yeah for standard ol' dino gear lube... I buy mine at Jacob's Oil in Grangeville, ID for about the same price. I got a quote awhile back for synthetics and was blown away with the price...

I might be bumping my schedule up a bit and doing it a bit early...

That rust is pretty normal. I have seen actually seen diff covers and oil pans rust out from the inside before. It's like WTF... there's oil in there! haha.

Guest Mopar1973Man

Well I'm glad I'm not loading my diff's with synthetics oils... I would be totally pissed off...

When I got a 5 Gallon Bucket of 80W-90 for about $40 bucks I can keep the axles lubed up and clean much cheaper.. :thumbup:

Guest 9812VCTD

That's a good idea Mike I should go through both my axles where I'm not sure the last time it was done. Thanks for the heads up!

Justin

Guest Mopar1973Man

This is one of the forgotten lubes to change on most trucks. For us up here in the snow and ice it don't take much for the condensation to start forming in the front and rear diffs quick.

i change all my fluids once a year no matter what.. i just like to know whats going on.. i dont run dino, but yet i dont run syn.. i run a blend... but i get a good deal on it so its not to bad on price.. since i have 2 vehicles i do this too i aslo buy a 5 gallon bucket of it.. cost bout 50 bucks.

Mopar,

Thanks for reminding us all. I know I have not done it since I bought the trucks used. I will get to after the fuel pump change. Where does one buy the 5 gallon? Wal-mart, Schucks, Napa? Are those all good palces to look?

Guest Mopar1973Man
i run red line i bet i put more miles on my trucks and tow alot of

LB. every week and syn run cooler too but i am paying 90 $ everytime i change it $$$ $$$

I'm running good ol' dino lube and it cost me $45 for 5 gallons. That's enough to do both trucks with some to spare...:D

Guest Mopar1973Man
Mopar,

Thanks for reminding us all. I know I have not done it since I bought the trucks used. I will get to after the fuel pump change. Where does one buy the 5 gallon? Wal-mart, Schucks, Napa? Are those all good palces to look?

I know NAPA sells gear lube in 5 gallon buckets. There is a oil depot up in Grangeville Idaho

Jacobs Oil Co-Phillips 66 Distributor

410 North Centre Street, Grangeville, ID 83530

(208) 983-1680

Jerry's Auto Parts

2027 Highway 95, Council, ID 83612

(208) 253-4234

That should get you started on bulk oils for you truck...:thumbup:

Has anyone made a pump for getting the fluid in?

if you access to one of those refillable fire extinguishers that hold water they work great for putting fluids in.

Guest Mopar1973Man
Is Valvoline a good one to use?

What is Dino Lube?

Dino lube is any lube that is NOT SYNTHETIC!

Valvoline is a god one... I use Phillips 66 or Exxon HD

Guest Mopar1973Man
if you access to one of those refillable fire extinguishers that hold water they work great for putting fluids in.

Yeah... That would be awesome but... I don't have one... I got to use a messy bottle and squeeze it in... YUCK! :-x

Has anyone made a pump for getting the fluid in?

I bought a suction type pump thats supposed to be for outboard engines. It will screw onto the top of a 1 gallong jug or gear oil. Its kind of like this but cheaper:

http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/product.asp?prod=260137

Figured it would help getting the gear oil back in the diff - which is always a pain.

Guest Mopar1973Man

Yea that would be a bit better... I imagine the pumping of thick gear lube is a PITA though...:shock:

As for the pump question, get a bucket pump. They fit right on the 5 gallon bucket the gear oil comes in. They are about $25, I think D&B even sells them.

Even if you don't get your oil in 5 gal buckets, you can just clean out a pail and dump your oil from the quarts in there.