• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest 9812VCTD

Overhead Display

Guest 9812VCTD

The overhead display in my Bro's truck gave out on him. I drove it the other day and there is no display...temp,compass,fuel econ. Any idea's on how to get this thing going again? Is it just a fuse that goes out on them or does he have bigger problems? This is on his 2000. Any help would be appreciated.

Justin

A friend gave me this, no fuses the reisitors come loose.

Display console repair.

First, you must remove the outer shell (colored to match the interior of your truck). There are five tension clips that hold the shell in place. Begin by pulling downward (I just use my fingers to prevent damage) on the front (toward windshield) of the shell. You must pull VERY hard - it feels like it will break , but has never happened to me, and I've done a few now.

Once the front two tension clips pop loose, you must release two "L" shaped tension clips that lock into the storage compartment. You can BARELY see the tips of the clips when looking inside the compartment. Use a flathead screwdriver or similar tool to push out on the clips until they release. I've also tried reaching above the outer shell to pull on these clips (rather than pushing from inside the storage compartment), but my hands are too big.

Once these two are released, there is one final tension clip on the rear that comes off fairly easily.

Next, you will see the black inner shell. First, unplug the wire harness on the passenger side of the unit. Some people do not remove the large inner plastic housing – they just remove the display and small plastic display housing by removing the three 10mm torx screws. If you decide to remove the large inner plastic housing, you must again pull from the front (toward the windshield) with force to release two additional tension clips. Finally, tilt the unit downward to release the "L" bracket at the rear (the "L" shaped bracket slides into a hole in the roof - no pulling required).

Once you have the large inner plastic housing out (if you go this route), you must still remove the display and small plastic display housing (with the E/M and MODE buttons) from the inner shell by removing the three 10mm torx screws.

Whether you remove the large inner black plastic housing or not, once the small plastic display housing is removed via the three torx screws, you will find one more 10mm torx screw on the back side buried in the black foam padding. You do not need to remove the black foam padding, just insert your torx bit in the hole and turn the screw. The circuit board will now release from the black plastic display housing .

Once the circuit board is removed, locate the 7 chips on the circuit board behind the display. They are labeled 620 and 680. The two I most often find loose are the two in the center directly behind the display - but check them all. Once the loose chips are located, re-attach them using a soldering pen (DO NOT USE A SOLDERING GUN AS THEY ARE TOO HOT AND MAY DAMAGE THE CIRCUIT BOARD). If there is not sufficient solder already in place (often the case for me), add additional solder as needed.

I purchased a 15W Soldering Pen/iron from Radio Shack for about $7 (part 64-2051) and it worked fine. I also purchased some .015 silver solder for a dollar or two - very thin and easy to work with. I recommend you check and re-solder all the chips so you don't need to do this again next month!

Now test the display by plugging in just the board in your truck and turn the key. If all works, put the board back on the inner shell and then replace the inner shell and plug in the wire harness. Then snap the outer shell in place and enjoy!

Guest 9812VCTD

Thanks alot for the help Jeff appreciate it!:thumbup: I'll print this off and if I can ever get a day off go tear into it. I'll post back results.

Justin

Guest 9812VCTD

Jeff I stopped by my Bro's house today and talked to him and he said he followed your instructions and got his overhead display working again, and said to tell you thanks for your help!!

Justin

Guest 9812VCTD
ya at least someone will help him. *cough*Justin *cough*

Yeah it's a good thing you guys are here.......:lol:

Justin