Guest Mopar1973Man

Fuel tank inspection...

Guest Mopar1973Man

Well after reading 99Cummins Tips & Tricks regarding the fuel system... I figured I would pull my sender out and inspected it for plugging and trash on the intake screen. Well I found its much easier to unbolt the driver side of the truck bed and 2 front passenger side bolt but leave the back 2 bolts loosened. This allows the bed to be lifted high enough to pull out the sender. After I pulled out the sender I found the pick up screen was CLEAN! All vents and valves are in working order. Surprisingly I found that at 1/8 of a tank of fuel there is a lot of fuel in the tank about 4" worth of fuel still... :o I rubbed my hand on the bottom of the tank looking for grit or sand... NONE! I grab a flash light and looked in the tank. The inside of the tank is bone white! Yes WHITE! But my fuel is a nice dark blue color. (Must be from all the 2 cycle oil I've been adding) So I looked at the pivot on the float and sender and it appears to be just fine. All the hose looked good too. So after being under the bed of the truck for 1 hour I found nothing wrong with my fuel system and everything checked out OK! So I might not of found any problems but I know my fuel tank and sender are in GOOD shape! :thumbup:

Guest Mopar1973Man
Mike, will you check mine LOL.

Steve :thumbup:

Sure maybe at the next bomb party... Or if you really bored drive up here and I'll do it in a afternoon... Beer included... :cheer:

You know some tanks I've seen are almost pristine inside while others are real bad. We did one a while back that had a nasty dark sludge in the screen and around the module. Yuk.

I've seen some real nasty ones too... there was a piece of equipment I worked on in japan... wow... I reached into the fuel tank through the fill hole to see if the drop tube was damaged, I came out with a handful of sludge and slime... I wanted to cry... I really can't imagine how the filters weren't plugged....

or if you don't keep an eye on your farm help.... I once dug a macho burrito out of the fuel tank on a 4840 John Deere tractor....

Guest Mopar1973Man

Well I've must be a lucky one... Mine was absolutely clean inside no funk or slime inside the tank. Being its painted white inside the tank it makes it really easy to see the bottom. Well kind of... Being my fuel is blue colored from 2 cycle oil...:lol: