• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

schaef_12

ARP's and a marine gasket

Well, the head gasket i put in two weeks ago is toast. Tried going the cheap route and just put in a stock gasket and new stock bolts. I dont really understand why it did not hold 35-40 lbs of boost and 15.5* of timing but i guess i will just bite the bullet and put the studs and marine gasket in it. It's a shame to because this time it ruptured the oil jackets and dumped ALOT of oil into the radiator and is a huge mess.

Anyone have suggestions on cleaning the oil out of the cooling system? :smart:

Need a place to buy some ARP's and a marine gasket and I'm sure one of you fellers can help me out with that?$$$:thumbup:

oh yeah, what does a ported and polished head run? Just a stage 1. What about O-rings? Think I should do the rings too? i dont really plan on having a bigger turbo(s) in the near future so if the stock head with studs and a marine gasket will get the job done that would be great. Just want a reliable 40lbs of boost setup.

Both Source Automotive and Monster 4x4 sell ARP Studs and both are sponsors on the site. Contact either Rip or Smokin Monster Via PM and I'm sure they will be happy to help you out.

As far as your second go around on this, did you retorque everything? Did you make sure the head was ok and didn't need milling? No need for rings at 40psi, my understanding is at about 60psi you better be thinking about rings.

Maybe you got a bad gasket? Steve had that problem when his 2nd gasket went on his 24V.

And again... did you retorque things after it went through a couple heat cycles?

Guest 9812VCTD

Sorry to hear about your recent troubles........I would give Kevin a Call at Monster 4*4 and get the new parts coming he's always treated me good. You should be in good shape for what boost you want to run with the studs and Marine gasket. As Tom mentioned above, Steve had the same problem as you are having with a cheaper gasket. I don't think you should need the O-Ringed head unless you plan on running 60+ lbs of boost. As far as the cooling system goes I believe it's simple green people are flushing through the radiators to help get the oily mess out...?

Justin

If you REALLY want to clean out your cooling system you can go the route I went with the Mercedes. Cooling system flush

I am going to end up doing something like that. It sure did make a mess. The worst part about the whole deal was it was first diagnosed as a leaky oil cooler, so i spent $250 on an oil cooler for no good reason.

Guest Smokin Monster
I don't think you should need the O-Ringed head unless you plan on running 60+ lbs of boost.

If you have studs you can possibly get away with 60psi. On stock bolts I blew my gasket at about 42psi on Edge's dyno and only 12* timing. There is an alternative to o-rings and to give you a little more piece of mind since you are replacing the headgasket. It is the new Cometic MLS (Multi-Layer Steel)headgasket. With headstuds it will hold up to 80psi. Plus it not much more than a stock or marine gasket. Now available for 12 and 24 valve. PM me for more info.

I have always used Cascade dishwasher soap. Less bubbles to try to rinse out compared to dish soap.

Pour in a scoop and run the truck a bit.

I have always used Cascade dishwasher soap. Less bubbles to try to rinse out compared to dish soap.

Pour in a scoop and run the truck a bit.

Me too Nate.

Ok, I'll try it all until the oil comes out. I called PDR Today and they said that it would be $300 to O-ring the head wich i didn't think was to bad. So I got all giddy and called up the shipping company for the to tell me that it was $157 for shipping one way!!!:shock:

Anyone know how to ship it cheaper? Or I guess I will just be calling the marine gasket and studs good enough.

Will that stuff you used clean out oil too??

Sounds like it's the same stuff as CLR?? Hmm.. I bet that'd work pretty good too!

Cascade won't remove any built up deposits that may exist in your cooling passages. Cascade is a great degreaser though.

How much does the head weigh?

I would shop locally. Does Rip (Source Auto) do that kind of work?? I'd imagine any competant machine shop could do it, though I wouldn't want my head to be the first one the guy has ever done!

Ok, I'll try it all until the oil comes out. I called PDR Today and they said that it would be $300 to O-ring the head wich i didn't think was to bad. So I got all giddy and called up the shipping company for the to tell me that it was $157 for shipping one way!!!:shock:

Anyone know how to ship it cheaper? Or I guess I will just be calling the marine gasket and studs good enough.

Will that stuff you used clean out oil too??

Sounds like it's the same stuff as CLR?? Hmm.. I bet that'd work pretty good too!

There are many steps to the flush that I posted. Drain, flush twice with water to get all of the coolant out. Flush with a degreaser like shout, flush twice with water. Flush with citric acid solution to get any build up loose, flush twice with water. Flush with baking soda to get any pcokets of acid, flush twice with water.

Each flush requires that you get the vehicle up to operating temp.

I don't know if CLR would have any adverxe effects on any of your cooling system. What I do know is the citric acid flush is right out of a Mercedes Service manual, so that tends to make me feel like it is safe.

Your experience may vary.

I'd imagine any competant machine shop could do it, though I wouldn't want my head to be the first one the guy has ever done!

Theres no way Id go taht route. sure there are lots of good machinsts out there but experience costs and its well worth the extra $. If they make the smallest mistake youre on the hook for buying a new head. JMO.

Guest Smokin Monster

Ya..when I got my o-ringed head from PDR it was cheaper for me to drive up there and get it. Seriously.

PDR has them you might give them a call back and ask about it.

Ya, I talked with him about it when I was calling about getting my head o-ringed. He said they had sold 10 or so but didnt have anyfeed back, good or bad. I hope they work out because that will be a good route to go.