• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

AH64ID

Winterized Fuel

With the mildly cold weather (9* here this morning) lately I got to thinking about No 2 and its capabilities... While I had no issues starting this morning, like it was 50* out, the manual says to run winterized fuel below 20*.. well it looks like were going to be below 20* in the mornings for a while.... so where to get winterized fuel?? I haven't seen it advertised at any of the stations I have been to.... I don't want to gel one morning and not be able to start or pump out of the tank....

Couldn't you just add some of that diesel fuel additive? I know that Chevron sells an STP diesel fuel additive that says

STP® Diesel Fuel Treatment & Injector Cleaner helps:

• Save fuel by keeping injectors clean
  • Maintain performance by preventing deposit build-up, corrosion and rust
  • Fight fuel line freeze and wax gel formation

when it gets this cold they start winterized fuel.

but,,,,,,,,u shld use stanadyne or amalgamated mixed w. 2 stroke religiously all yr round :thumbup:

Monday morning I stopped at the Phillips 66 station at Cloverdale and Fairview for coffee. There happened to be a tanker dropping it's load so I thought I would ask the driver about their "winter" diesel. The driver told me that they don't use #1 as a blending agent anymore. Instead they blend Power Service Arctic Express into the tanker load at the terminal. PS Arctic Express lowers the gel point to -40 degrees and it also adds lubricity agents into the fuel. I buy my diesel from them and my mileage has not dropped. Fying J is Conoco as well...

Rob

Yep... we have winterized crap... my mileage has gone down in the benz.

a lot of the mpg reduction is due o the sudden temp decrease. my gasserhas lost 3mpg since it has trned coldr

Thanks guys... I do add Amsoil Diesel Concentrate to every tank, and keep cold flow improver around just in case, but IMO the pumps should be winterized....

Been buying at Fred Meyer as they are fairly decent on price... have to ask them if they winterize next time I go in.

I haven't noticed, but the last time I filled up was darn near 2 months ago. :lol: Only have 1/2 a tank in the main though, so it's getting near.

I would bet they all are the same... I use Stanadyne in mine.. I had to put my winter cover on to get the temps up in my truck, I have noticed fuel economy not close to what I got before... I average with a Tow tune empty around 18-20 in the warmer months and summer fuel, and average 15-17 on same tune winter time... Thats runnin Stanadyne in both times... Tunes (courtousy of Rob Coddens aka IdahoRob).

What is needed is an additive with anti gelling in it. The anti gelling is what makes it " winterized ". Anyone who has been rolling down a dark highway in the middle of a snow storm knows what I am talking about. The below freezing temps can " GEL " the fuel and that sucks. I use Diesel Kleen in the white bottle for winter use.

So Fred Meyers, at least the one on overland, sells Flying J fuel (good to hear)... and it is winterized. Boise doesn't get cold enough for a 50:50, and the clerks aren't sure what they do... but its winterized for local conditions...

So no more worries... but I think I'll keep the cold flow improver in the tool box in case it gets SUPER cold (below 0*)... or I make a trip to the mountains on valley fuel...

As far as summer fuel, I have read #2 can gel below 40*F...