• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

schaef_12

What did I break?

A few months ago my 4x4 quit working but the light would come on. Then the light quit woking but the 4x4 would work. Last night I was pulling one of my Buddies out of the snow and I stepped on the brake to get the limited slip to lock up, and my front-end went POP and the 4x4 light came on. Front driveshaft turns, but knuckles on the end of the axle do not. No strange noises. Also, same time as 4x4 light quit working a few months so did the cruise control, I know i have a hole in the vaccume line and hope this has something to do with the 4x4. Maybe it will not engage the front end because it does not have enough vaccum and the add stress of the brakes made it pop out? Seems Like there are alot of people doing high hp boost launches on these frontends for something to break that easily?

Thanks

Corey

It sounds like to me that that vac line might be the prob... Not letting it engage, that was prob the POP with it not fully engaging...

It sounds like to me that that vac line might be the prob... Not letting it engage, that was prob the POP with it not fully engaging...

Thats what I was thinking, But it was engaged and the tires were spinning when i stepped on the brake and it poped, then the 4x4 light came on. Thought it was kinda wierd. I'll look at it when i get it melted off. After seeing the front-drive line still connected and all u-joints ok, and not hearing the click of a blown hub i didn't think you could brake and axleshaft or other internal parts that easily?

could be your fork in your cad broke it slides a shaft over the axle take it apart if it won't go back into 4wd

Would It break while in 4wd though? No more stress on it underload or not right? Only when putting in and taking out of 4x4?

Fix the vac line. Or put the cover off the vac disco and slide the collar over to lock the shaft in place. Sounds to me like it's not engaging properly... I'd bet from that vac line.

Well a got around to tearing it apart and nothing seems to be broken. The end of one of the drive shafts had some little nicks in it but nothing major. Everything seemed to be in ok shape, so it must be the vac. line. One ? though. I didnt think the light on the dash was supposed to come on until the coupler engaged the 4x4?

willards off road in billings

$200 is retail. $160 is possible,,or it was. 175 aint too bad.

i didnt have a prob w/ my 98.5 but it added piece of mind,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and 2wd low

ask smoken monster i belive he can get one for ya but i have always liked the idea of that posi lock with the 271 tcase i have the drive shaft has to be spinning from the front axles to enguage smoothly

dyna-trac free spin kit! only $1800 and you can get rid of those nasty non-serviceable front bearings at the same time.

Ya, I didn't realize the kit was that expensive until after i posted that last night. Looks like I'll be sticking with the $200 posi-lock.