• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Big_Dan97

which cummins and why (and where?)

Ok so Ive been looking at going to stage2 injectors, plus the supporting modsfor my 7.3, and the cost will be around $4000, with the $3000 or so I have in it now I got to thinking, am I being cost effective?

Balin and I were talking about it and doing a conversion might be the way to go, but I want to know roughly what Im goin to spend.

Also I dont know much about the cummins other than most people want a 12v second gen, but I dont know why.

So I guess my questions are :

Wheres the best place to go lookin around for a cummins

Which one to get and why

How much should I plan on spending on an engine

What are some of the issues they have (ive heard of killer dowel pin syndrome)

What will it cost to get the engine putting down:

400 hp

500 hp

600 hp

If needed rebuilt, how much does that usually run

I think my e4od would be fine until i go past 4-450. After that who knows.

Thanks everyone

Dan

there are afew conversion websights out there that could give you prices on the adapters and such the p-pumped 12v is the easyst and cheapest to build hp with and a rebuild would cost what you want it to cause its like the 350 chevy gasser when it comes to a build up 3 grand is about as high as i would go to purchase one

ok, first off i would scrap the E40D. just personal preference. and the cost and set up is gonna depend on what ur wanting to do with the truck. a complete conversion with purchase of motor and tranny and other parts can run upwards of $8-10,000.

Motors can run from 1000-5500 depending on where u go and what u get. i would suggest a 180 pumped motor, 96-97 Cummins. You can look on ebay, junk yards or shops for the motors. the reason i say the 180 pumps is because they are more mod frendly technically than the 215 pumps. only other real major problem is the 53 blocks but im pretty sure that is a 24V problem not a 12V problem.

As far as mods it can vary depending on your source for parts. you can get 400 easy 500 si a lil harder and 600 isnt all tha hard just a lil pricey at times. i would say go S300 variant for the turbo, 300s/370s for injectors, no fuel plate and about 16.5 on timing. Delivery valves that are big or custom EDMed, and a manual tranny with a big clutch.

rebuild kits run different prices depending where u get them, the last one we got was 200 bucks for the gaskets and such. to be 100% honest the price on parts depends on who you know and where you get them at. If you need any other help i can get you in touch with my brother who does these conversions alread and knows a ton more about them than i do. here is his conversion:

IMG_0007.jpg

bigsmoke.jpg

Guest Smokin Monster

I would disagree on the 180 pump. You will get more power out of a 215 pump without spending a lot of money. The main difference is the cam inside the pump and the delivery valves and some other little things here and there.

Damn that is a HOT looking truck. Those are the best years of Fords and that Cummins engine is the ticket. I about got wood just looking at that picture :lol: I think the only better setup would be a early 80s Chevy 6x6 long box with the Cummins.

you mean like this one????

IMG_0223.jpg

And with the 180 or 215 you will be happy but i know the 215 has limits compared to the 180 pump. its all about what you want for your truck.

Thanks for the input guys, this is something Im hoping will come up during the dinner meet. As far as the e4od eventually Ill do something there but for now I have an aftermarket tc and vb, and as long as it lasts itll stay in there.

Just got a good lead on a guy in my area that is a machinist and he makes mateplates for cummins/e4od, and might also have some engines. Im hoping Ill go pick his brain this weekend and see what we come up with.

This is very much in the crawl faze so if you give me advice, please dont take offense if I dont do this, Im just working through the financial aspect and also I know nothing about cummins engines other than they are a straight 6 and they come stock in dodges :)

Dan

BTW 6L that ford dually conversion looks great.

Dan, Ill let my brother know you like it. He is in the middle of another conversion in our dads 91 F350 2wd and its going to be a cleaner install than his truck. And setup to pull the motor straight through the radiator support. Keep asking questions cuz im pretty sure no one here will be mad at ya if you dont do it. To be honest conversions can be a lot of money and time consuming

Guest 9812VCTD

Dan,

I was really considering doing a cummins conversion in my 95 I had. I think I could of sold my motor and tranny and only had to come up with a little extra money to get it done. I have been really happy with my 12V as mentioned above they can take alot of abuse and if something happens don't cost a fortune to rebuild. I would try to find a 215 motor if you can. Keep us updated on what your thinking and decide to do!

Justin

that is my dream also 1 day dan....a cummins in the X....I believe that would be gods truck, a ford with a cummins!! good talkin to ya at the dyno by the way!

that is my dream also 1 day dan....a cummins in the X....I believe that would be gods truck, a ford with a cummins!! good talkin to ya at the dyno by the way!

Just figure out how to get an Alison behind it, and I am completely with you on that being God's Truck.

Dan, Ill let my brother know you like it. He is in the middle of another conversion in our dads 91 F350 2wd and its going to be a cleaner install than his truck. And setup to pull the motor straight through the radiator support. Keep asking questions cuz im pretty sure no one here will be mad at ya if you dont do it. To be honest conversions can be a lot of money and time consuming

I appreciate all the replys, I jsut dont want to get advice from people then possibly not do it and have people get bent cause people feel like they waste their time.

Hi Dan......:thumbup:

Hi Steve ( | );-)

It can and has been done.

Yes it has the owner of destroked is featured in this months diesel world with it.

This months issue also has a cherry obs on the cover. :drool

Well tonight I went to a friend of mines house (yeah i got a couple :shock: ) and he knows the guy who does conversions, and he said he might have an engine for me, dunno if this guys got so many he doesnt know what he has or what.

He did say there isnt much differance tween a 180 and a 215 other than a fuel plate? I dont know what a fuel plate is but I dont want to tell him that. This weekend Im going to have a face to face since tonight was just an over the phone. Ill keep ya ll updated, he also said that the e4od is a good tranny and should be fine with cummins up to a point of course.

I have an interested buyer in my engine too... thinking of putting it in the 92 since that 7.3na was injured.

Anything you folks what to throw at me as far as general knowledge of the cummins engine or a place to read up on em would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Oh is there a way to tell a 1st gen from a 2nd gen 12v just by looking at them?

the injection pumps are different look for an engine that has lines comeing off the pump vertical and in a strait line that is a p-pump also on the timeing cover you want to find an engine with cpl #'s 2023 or 2175 you dont want cpl#1863 that is the kalifornication pouliton regulation crap i.e. egr crap and what not

also cpl#'s 2022 and 2174 are for the 180 hp the 2023 and 2175 are the 215 hp the 215 pumps have a different cam then the 180 pumps fuel plate is the same

What trannys come with 2nd gens? would it be worth just doin the engine and tranny all together?

What are the tranny strengths/weaknesses

Also no ones commented on killer dowel pin syndrome, I read an article about it I guess theres a dowel pin in the engine that has a tendency to shear off and mess all kinds of stuff up, but I dont remember what Cummins engine it was.

Thanks

dowel pins in 89 thru 99 need retaining. an easy fix. there are a few threads in the 1st gen area of the forum that have pics.