• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

lumpdog

Popped my cherry on a Powerjoke today!

Well, we just bought an old Commercial Tire cab and chassis F350 that had some problems.

First off, it ran like crap, wouldn't start without some juice, and shook like a mofo!

So, I changed the broke to crap dual mass flywheel and clutch out for a single mass flywheel which made a lot of the imbalance and noise go away.

Then had to change two injectors that weren't firing properly, the first cylinder came up bad on the balance test. Changed that injector and she still had a miss in it, not nearly as bad, but still noticeable. Balance check came out with a pass, so had to pull the valve covers and hotwire the EBPV to give the engine some load. Found one more injector that was firing, but not contributing much. Changed it and it seems to be good to go now.

Oh, also had to replace the glow plug relay since it had gone bad too. The two injectors that came out had damaged orings on them, so the replacement injectors got the updated orings with no backers. So now I am going to replace the orings on the other 6 tomorrow just as preventative maintenance.

This is my first experience with this engine ever.....

What year is it ? Did you pull any codes ? Since you are working on your injectors check your glow plug wires are not anywhere close to the pushrods. They can short out and give a false reading with your injectors, make it miss and not run right,

broken_wire.JPG

Also check your UVC harness, they can come loose and start slipping out of the valve cover connector. When that happens you will get a open injector circut. They make a shim to correct the problem, Ford part number # 2C3Z-14A163-AB.

uvc-clips2.jpg

Yup, checked all that stuff. All connectors were tight and it had different valve cover gaskets than the one you showed. These had plastic retainers on the injector instead of the metal lock. The glow plug wires were all clear of the rockers.

Thanks!

If that big black truck in your avatar is yours itll be a PIA :)

there not bad took me about 4 hrs by myself thats including forgetting the oil spouts so I had to pull the VC off again and putem on.:roll:

Wheres Kimberly, maybe we could do a bombparty or just a little get together and help ya out.

Dan

No the black trucks not mine the white one in my sig is. What test is the best to check injectors, cause im not 100% sure thats my problem do you guys have any suggestions to the loss of fuel milage and cutting out at higher rpms?

It's an inside joke.

I was talking to him on the phone a little bit earlier while at the junkyard and Doug, the owner, made the comment that Chris had more junk than he did at his yard. :lol:

I started counting one day and it was somewhere around 20 rigs, some just parts and pieces.

Hey now be nice :nono:

;-)

Hey, this one is a work truck, not mine personally. OH, and F. U. N.A.T.E. !!!

The injectors were really easy to change. I just drained down the oil rail by removing the small plugs under the valve cover that use an 1/8" allen. Then removed the 5/8" plug on the top of the oil rail for an air bleed and to refill the rail after I was done.

Then I removed the oil deflector off the injector with a 5mm allen, then removed the lower 8mm bolt, and popped the injector out of the head. I wiped up all the oil from the bore that I could, and installed the new injector. Then I removed the glow plug and bumped the engine over to blow the fuel and oil out that had gotten into the cylinder. I then cranked on it a bit longer to make sure I got the majority out of the cylinder. Then I put the rail drain plugs back in, filled the rail with oil from the top plug, and fired it off.

It was actually very easy.

How hard are injectors to change? my fuel mileage has dropped pretty good and it has started cutting out at higher rpms when i get on it.

Are you throwing any codes? CEL coming on? At what RPM does she start to cut out? Lots of things to check before replacing injectors.

no my CEL never has came on even when my map sensor went bad. It cuts out at around 2300-3000 just when i get on it real hard. changed the fuel filter and it still cuts out.

Nate you going to the Dyno Sat? We got to meet, Im starting to doubt you exist:)

Jacob, theres a test for the injectors I think its called a buzz test, I could be wrong. Could be just the orings? Inj are easy, just pull the ones next to the firewall first, then work your way forward, that lets all the oil drain into the closets to the firewall hole, then put your vc on with just 4-6 bolts pull the big Maxi fuse I think #9 turn the key a couple times (blows the oil out the cylinders) put new ones back in and whamy your done. Beans has a nice writeup. beansdieselperformance.com

Dan

Jacob I just relized your truck is taller than your garage door :) you gotta shop? If not we'll have to find one, not a fun job if your shivering, Ive got one but its all the way up here in Mtn Home. If you need help and there isnt someone available pm me or call Im on the help network thing, and we'll go from there.

Dano

I'll be at the dyno on Sunday. Dunno what you mean about me not existing? I live here in Mtn Home.

Nate you going to the Dyno Sat? We got to meet, Im starting to doubt you exist:)

Jacob, theres a test for the injectors I think its called a buzz test, I could be wrong. Could be just the orings? Inj are easy, just pull the ones next to the firewall first, then work your way forward, that lets all the oil drain into the closets to the firewall hole, then put your vc on with just 4-6 bolts pull the big Maxi fuse I think #9 turn the key a couple times (blows the oil out the cylinders) put new ones back in and whamy your done. Beans has a nice writeup. beansdieselperformance.com

Dan

I'll be at the dyno on Sunday. Dunno what you mean about me not existing? I live here in Mtn Home.

Nothin bad, its just everytime I go to a dyno Im like "wheres Nate" and everyone says oh u just missed him so I was wondering if you really exist. :lol:

Ah, gotcha! I was thinking more alone the lines that I was a keyboard commando and never showed my face.

I just wanted to clear something up guys, as it seems I rubbed a few sore spots in this post about the stacks.

I don't come on the board to harass, or be an ass or anything like that. Maybe sometimes I don't sugar coat something and people get upset? Maybe it's just my manner that appears to be that way?

I'm just an average joe like everyone else on here and in no shape, form, etc do I think I'm better than anyone else. If you have met me in real life you know I'm a humble, down to earth guy.

When I give the Chevy or Ford guys hassle, it's just in jest. I'd do the same to the Dodge guys if I drove those trucks too.

If I post up something and you disagree, think it's stupid, think I need to shut the hell up and stop digging the hole, (haha) whatever, by ALL MEANS let me know.

BTW Cetane... I was unloading some big generators today at work and we were using a 10K A/T (front end loader with tines). That 07 CAT had a stack just likes yours.

Ah, gotcha! I was thinking more alone the lines that I was a keyboard commando and never showed my face.

NO not at all. If I was going to say that to ya Id say it in person.

When I give the Chevy or Ford guys hassle, it's just in jest. I'd do the same to the Dodge guys if I drove those trucks too.

When I win the lottery and get a brand new Dodge mega big oversize 100sq ft quad cab with the new long bed option and put a cummins in my ford, Ill give chevy ford and dodge guys crap. Its all fun and in jest. :redx

Thats the bad thing about online sometimes its hard to tell if someones jokin or not.

Dano

It seems to cut out around 20-25psi of boost and on all levels of my edge juice with attitude. My dad is building a big shop so no problem there so i think i might take it to one of my friends and do a buzz test to see if its an injector or not. My truck has 177,600 miles on it so im thinking it might be injector or fuel pump?