• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Dangle

GBE Type D Drag Truck.

Did you see the silicon boot blowing up like balloons???

Holy Crap that thing is BAD news. But that on a rail like the Cummins Dragster ATS has and we have a RACE!!! BTW.... notice how there was ZERO smoke!!!

PS. That bridge you see in the first video is one I drove over all the time. I was about 3 miles north of the track. That street it Cherry Ave.

that is pretty sick, now it is time to do a dakota with a big C under the hood, trow some drugs at it like gale did and kick his arse!! LOL!

Guest 9812VCTD

That was impressive the way that thing got down the track, and it sounded good.

Justin

Gale Did do a Dakota. Remember? It set a land speed record

ya but a drag truck and something that does not have his name on it

Im sorry but it doesnt sound like a diesel. I for one think its all hype cuz ive never seen where they atually run therse trucks against diesels just gassers. i have many choice words to say bout bank$$ and their marketing ploys. Even though we have had some good luck with a few of their products, they are too into marketing and have yet to prove wat these trucks will do in competition with other vehicles like them. And thats just not right, diesels are supposed to smoke, only GBE and lil sissies' diesels dont smoke....

he was just proving his point that diesels don't need to smoke to be fast and win. I mean Audi is DOMINATING the Le Mans series with a smokeless diesel,

I agree, although smoke is sometimes fun, having a quiet smokeless diesel that spanks the local rice rockets would be sick!

It is pretty sweet to see diesel coming around as a high speed performance fuel, not just what you use to get to the track.

I agree, although smoke is sometimes fun, having a quiet smokeless diesel that spanks the local rice rockets would be sick!

It is pretty sweet to see diesel coming around as a high speed performance fuel, not just what you use to get to the track.

I'd rather have a diesel as loud as a jet engine and enough black smoke to block out the sun when "smokin" the rice burners:twisted:

Guest ShanesLB7
I'd rather have a diesel as loud as a jet engine and enough black smoke to block out the sun when "smokin" the rice burners:twisted:

X@!!!!! Buddy...... That is one bad ass truck...

Chris there is a ford ranger in the building process and the second turbo is in the passenger seat!!!!:shock::twisted:

Here's a really informative post that was posted by a guy named Peter who works for Banks. I found it very interesting.

Gale asked me to post this on his behalf:

"Gentlemen, let's clear the air.

First I want to deal with those that claim that Banks' racing success is because of money. You've got it backwards. Our money success is because of racing (and winning) for the last 50 years. You can give a fool all the money in the world and he'll never win a race. I'm sorry, money is no substitute for knowledge and know how gained over time. If you've got that, then the money will help a ton. Without that, as the Bard said," a fool and his money are soon parted." So enough with your sour grapes.

As to money, I started in 1958 in my dad's garage, he was an LA cop and a hell of a wrench. He made $395 a month of which I got none. I'm damn proud because I started with nothing and I know what it is to race building engines using other guys junk.

This is my 50th year building racing engines. I've screwed with every type of fuel from nitro methane to hydrogen. In 1974 while working on a future engines study, funded by the Ford Foundation, I became interested in diesel. By 1980 I found myself teaching graduate level, turbo diesel engine design, at General Motors Institute. At the same time I was running twin turbo marine versions of the then upcoming GM 6.2L diesel in my engine dyno cell. Those prototype 6.2's didn't go along with the joke and found various ways of putting their parts on the walls and floor of my dyno room. So I never did a marine version of that engine.

By late '81 we came out with our Sidewinder turbo for the 6.2 pickups, being careful to honor the capabilities of the 6.2. And, that started the light truck diesel power aftermarket. Every guy who came along with diesel products since then paints a target on my back and does his best to hit it. Some of them do it behind screen names on forums such as this one…that's BS. I deeply respect my competition with the exception of those individuals.

Enough about my career, I’m not writing this to bore you. This is about giving you the facts behind our D-Max powered drag truck. That truck is a follow on to the Cummins powered Sidewinder Dakota we ran at Bonneville in 2002 and the Donahoe/Banks F-250 Power Stroke Baja racer we are currently running against gas powered competition. We are currently second in points and have won a few races as well.

My S-10 Pro Stock truck is one that never saw the light of day as NHRA shut down Pro Stock Truck racing just after it was built. I bought it from the Panellas and it sat for years in my shop getting dusty. I've been wanting to put a D-Max in this thing but we've been working on a road race GMC pickup the last few years. The engine in the road race truck kills everything in the drive train south the clutch and we've spent the last two years building a durable drive train that will live 30 hours. It has not been easy, our longest race is a 25 hour enduro, and we're getting close.

Even though I'm in business, my budget is limited and since building my Bonneville Firebirds in the '80's I have had no factory money at all. The Cummins guys gave me used dyno test engines in 2001 and a lot of volunteer engineering help learning and running the then prototype CR 5.9 engine. I paid it back by sharing my intake and exhaust port modifications with them and by bringing Cummins a world record for pickups. Those years were a dark time at Cummins, the stock was down in the $26 range, but when we toured the Banks Sidewinder Dakota thru the Cummins facilities in Columbus there were smiles all around.

As regards GM, I get no money from GM on my D-Max projects but they did give me a deal on my LLY support truck. So as to those of you who claim that we do our thing with factory money, please tell me who to call to get reimbursed.

Also, for the last 5 years we have been marketing partners with Bosch and we help each other in our mutual effort to popularize Diesel in the United States. I figure that if we can help the OEM's sell new diesel vehicles then all of us in the aftermarket will have more engines to victimize and a greater market for all.

At the end of the day, I'm a gearhead and hot rodding is my hobby. I do the business part of my day so I can earn enough to experiment in the shop. I love the shop, the engine room, the flow benches, the dyno rooms and the race track. I'm surrounded by a group of employee/friends who are living my dreams and I'm living theirs. We do the things we do together and they make me look like way more than I actually am. Some have been with me 30 years, the ones with more seniority have retired.

These are good guys and when you do not understand what we are doing some of you attack. Frankly, I don't get it, but when you attack my company in the future, do it in my name. These guys don't need their success diminished by the Banks haters.

As to the fellow, Greg Hogue, who was to be our driver on the drag race S-10. When he recently spent a few days with our team of volunteers great conflict resulted. So his driving this project is a non starter. Some of you have commented that he has been hard on Banks competitors in many of his posts. Thank you for pointing that out, it is not my style and I hope it's over. He is not going to run my truck and I trust he will stop running his mouth in such a harmful manner.

Greg Hogue is the main reason that we got the S-10 running, he bugged us all and it worked. I have him to thank for that and wish the chemistry had been better with my guys, but it was not to be. Please understand that he is not an employee of Banks and never has been. He is not our spokesman and posts his own stuff.

As I write this the guys and our racer are in the tech line at the Las Vegas NHRA meet. I've been successful in getting NHRA to accept turbo diesels running nitrous. I asked this such that NHRA would allow serious diesel competition at their meets. The deal with nitrous is smoke prevention. There are NHRA tracks running across the country every weekend. We need their acceptance to grow diesel drag racing beyond the cult status it currently seems to be stuck in.

Running smoke free is the only way in to NHRA meets. There are a lot of bandits out there who think smoke is macho, I'm not one of them. Smoke is the result of incomplete combustion. I prefer to burn the fuel in the engine. Smoke is power you can't read on the dyno or feel in the seat of your pants, period. And the EPA is watching the street smoke boys. Thanks to that, as a board member of SEMA I with others will be dealing with EPA at the upcoming SEMA show trying to protect the very guys who build and sell such products. Products who's smoke production will blot out the Sun.

Smoke is defended in some of the posts with a "stick it where the sun don’t shine if you don't like it" attitude. As to those guys, I guess that would be where ever they happen to be.

I think diesel can "Kick Gas" and the way to prove that is to race the gas burners where they are. We've done it at Bonneville and Baja, We're faster at Willow Springs and Thunder Hill and our new gearbox is looking tough. And, with what we've got going in NHRA, you can run classes as quick as 6.50 seconds west of the Rockies and in 3 classes east of the Rockies. Our effort at Las Vegas marks the beginning of actual, non exhibition, serious NHRA diesel competition. That's where you will find us. We will be happy to see those of you that drag race, step up and compete, let's show the world what we've got.

As to the parts and engines we are developing; for Cummins we have just finished our high pressure testing on our Big Hoss intake manifold. It allows porting, mounts all stock components, has a 4" inlet, fits under the hood and is streetable and available. We are working on a stand alone racing ECU for common rail and have run a prototype successfully. Internal engine parts will follow.

For Duramax; Our Big Hoss manifold set is available, our 1800 lb-ft Banks Billet Allison torque converter and billet flex plate will be introduced at SEMA and available soon, many internal engine parts will follow. Also we currently have approximately 40 Duramax engines in stock for immediate shipment. These are complete "engines as shipped to the assembly line." Our racing ECU will be available soon as well as a proper wire loom.

I look forward to seeing you at the races or welcome you to visit us in Azusa,

Gale Banks

Visit us on the web: <A href="http://www.bankspower.com"[/quote">www.bankspower.com"

Good read, Josh.

We need more Gale Banks type guys to keep pushing the diesel motorsports. Lots of guys want to bad mouth him, but he is high profile and is pushing diesel motorsports. That's what we need to become more main stream.

I can see it now, BMW enter's Nascar with a diesel V-8. Toyota brings a Diesel to Indy. LeMans series already has a TDI Audi. Gale is bringing a Drag truck to compete against gassers and is working on a road racing truck. It would be awsome to see a Porsche with a High HP diesel.

It's just a matter of time and I think that we are seeing the beginnings of a snowball rolling down hill.

I don't know why you guys dont like Banks. He's really the one who got the diesel performance market going. I agree that his products are way overpriced and I will probably never buy any of them. I am fairly new to the diesel crowd, but did Banks do something in the past because he really isn't very well liked in any of the diesel forums that I go to? I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong I'm just curious.

:confused:

People always gun for the big dogs, Freak. Everyone likes and roots the small guy.

Banks bucks the, "Gotta smoke like a coal train" idea and a lot of people in diesel performance don't like that.

Me, I like my relatively smokeless 400+whp.

I think a lot of people dislike the way they market their products. What I mean by that is a lot of times they make rediculous claims that they somehow justify to be true. Here's one for instance. They claim the Banks 6 Gun Speedloader to be the most powerful and fastest tuner/programmer on the market for an LBZ Duramax, and they base these claims on a test that they conducted comparing several different products from their competitors. A lot of people had problems with the test because they thought the way that it was conducted wasn't in the true theme of getting the most perfomance out of the truck in the test. Depending on how you look at it you could say that Banks skewed the results or you could say they conducted the test in a way that the average truck buyer would want the test done. The fact of the matter is that PPE makes the most powerful off-the-shelf tuner/programmer available for the LBZ, but because of the way the test was run it was beaten by Banks.

I think Banks makes good products and is very good for the furtherance of diesel publicity, but I don't always agree with their marketing department.

It's all a marketing word game.

I've seen a Super chips claim of 150HP. But when Dynoed it was only about 110HP over peak HP. If you read the fine print, it was a 150HP at Best GAIN. Meaning you may have dynoed a peak HP of 250HP stock, but 360HP with the superchips tuner. Their Best GAIN may have been where the stock truck was making 190HP and at that point it dynoed at 340HP with the Superchips tuner, thus giving you a 150HP increase. While not a bogus claim, it is not what a LOT of people think it is.

Gale is definately pushing the positive image of our sport but man his stuff is overpriced. Ryan had the banks 6 gun on my truck and he loved it, I had a Banks intercooler on my 97 psd and it worked great.

In my mind there are two types of diesel enthusiast, the type that are not much of a gear head and want no brainer safe product.These are the guys who read Banks adds and buy into all and every claim. Then there is the GIMMIE THE MAXIMUM POWA i can get and i don't care about the concequences type of guy...most of us are the later.

These are the guys who read Banks adds and buy into all and every claim. Then there is the GIMMIE THE MAXIMUM POWA i can get and i don't care about the concequences type of guy...most of us are the later.

That's about everyone here

except me :smart: I'm not into the power thing at all

:lol: