Sign in to follow this  
Tuffenuf4u

had some condensor problems (I think) ?

well, was drivin on freeway for awhile with heater on, pulled off to get somethin at the store and had truck on idle with heater still on, after about 5 minutes of idle the a/c compressor locked up and the belt kept goin causing the belt to smoke, i shut the truck off to investigate for about 10 minutes, couldnt figure it out and started it back up with heater on with no problem , about 5 minutes later it did it again. It doesnt do it while truck is in motion, Id had the A/C recharged right before this incident and hadnt ever happen before that , when the heater is off, their is no problem, i talked with a dodge mechanic about this and he said if theirs no airflow over the condensor this can happen, the question is what do i do to keep it cool and why would it get that hot? any ideas ?

Guest Mopar1973Man

Ok... This is what I can give...

I was low on freon and grabbed a few can of freon R134a with oil. Then proceeded to add the freon and oil mix. Well The pressure came up to about 30 PSI on the low side which is normal.

Afterwards I went into town and did some shopping. I had my DEF's on. The compressor locked up and start smoking the belt... But I noticed that the compressor squirted oil out the back through a small hole.

Well come to find out I over charged the system with too much oil and cause a hydro lock condition. So I had the system drained and refilled properly...

But I'm not 100% sure of this being your cause...

ha ha ha funny guy, just remember whos got the reliability time on their side and proven performance, its no coincedence all the truck pulls i go to dodge seems to dominate the first 3 places in all classes.