• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

neibaur

This Can't Be Good!

I need some serious help. so as im driving home late last night i notice that when i get in my truck it not getting up and going as well. So as im farther out of town i really get on it when i get in my overdrive and usually she takes off but my boost was 10lbs less than usual and my egts were way up there (1000 at 60mph just driving not gassing) not normal. i got out and looked at the intake and everything i could in the dark but i couldnt get anything. My boost was building so slow i dont know what it could be! i need some help. THanks

have you checked for holes in your boots going in to the intercooler from the turbo side also just check all the clamps and make sure they are tight that is where i would start looking also i need to get my timeing kit to ya so ya can check it

Guest 9812VCTD

Almost sounds like the problems I was having when I had wastegate issues, but I doubt that would be the case here?

Justin

Sounds like Justin is on the right track here. You need to build a tester so you can pressurize your system with air and find the leaks. They cost about $10 to make and only a few minutes to find your leaks.

It's either 3 1/2" or 4" pvc pipe fitting that fits right inside the rubber boot coming from the air cleaner. I can't remember which right now. Just use a 90 degree elbow connected to a 6" to 12" nipple and cap the end. Drill a hole in the cap big enough to fit a replacement tire valve stem in and JB Weld the stem into the hole. Once the glue is all dry on the pipe and the weld putty, pulle the intake hose off the air filter and install this contraption in it's place. Using an air tank or compressor pressurixe you system to about 10psi and listen for any leaks. If this comes out clean then run it up to 20 and listen again. Your system should hold the pressure for a few minutes.

This tester can be made a hundred different ways you just need to make sure that what ever you use seals the system and you can put air into it is the only requiremets.

To find small leaks you can also use soapy water in a spray bottle. Spray the whole system and watch for air bubbles as you go, just like checkin for gas leaks in your home.

Alright thanks guys. Do leaks like this happen very often? Is it bad enough that i shouldn't drive my truck until its fixed or what? That would be great cahammer just let me know when i could get it. Give me a call 3122369. Thanks

Guest 9812VCTD

Good info Dennis Thanks!:thumbup:

I found a couple bad spots in my intercooler boots when I was trying to solve my problem. Here's a couple pics of some bad spots I found.

This one is one the passenger side that hooks on the intercooler it was rubbing against the inner fender Max told me about this spot.

100_1619.jpg

This one had been rubbing on the oil return line from the turbo

100_1618.jpg

Hope this helps

Justin

Thanks that does help but maybe you could tell me exactly how you found the leaks so it would be that much easier for me. I'd really appreciate it thanks.

Without the tester they are almost impossible to find unless they are big holes. With the truck off or at idle there is no pressure to the lines so no air coming out. Unless your brave enough to ride under the hood while somebody hammers the truck to build boost pressure your out a luck. When you apply boost pressure to these hoses they swell up like a balloon. So at idle nothing is touching or rubbing and under pressure they are folded around corners of things rubbing them.