• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

nate

Remote Start

Anyone running a remote start on their 24v? Brand/recomendations?

Would be handy to fire up the truck while I'm getting dressed in the AM vs having to go out in the cold in the undies to crank her up. :lol:

Anyone running a remote start on their 24v? Brand/recomendations?

Would be handy to fire up the truck while I'm getting dressed in the AM vs having to go out in the cold in the undies to crank her up. :lol:

Wait... I thought it wasn't cold here... Mr. Alaska. :poke

It's not. My brother and me were at Yellowstone last week. It got down to 28-30* in the AM. Everyone is out with big coats, gloves, bonnets, etc. I had a sweatshirt, he had a flannel shirt. Course everyone is looking at us like WTF?

Oh heat = clear windows and happy engine/trans.

Wait... I thought it wasn't cold here... Mr. Alaska. :poke

I have installed several systems from different manufacturers. The best for quality and design in my opinion has been the Design Tech Intl. kits. It is what I run on all my own vehicles, as well as all the shop vehicles that have them. I have used the TRC, Bulldog, and other kits, and none had the quality of the Design Tech kits. Tech support was great with those kits as well as detailed online schematics for individual vehicles.

http://www.designtech-intl.com/

The last couple that I bought were from NAPA. YES Nate, that is N A P A!! :smart:

The two way system was worthless in my opinion. Too many functions, too much crap, it was cool at first but gets annoying later. Trust me, the simpler the better, and at 130 bucks from Napa, well worth the cash.

And it's NAPA, even NAPA calles it's NAPA 8-)

N.A.P.A... you are the only person I have heard call it that.

Same for HVAC. It's H-VAC, not H.V.A.C

:smart:

How do you know if the truck is running without the 2 way system?

Is that $113 one you listed work with diesels. The ones that do have a timer or wire that taps into the wait to start light.

Doesn't matter, they are on a preprogrammed shut off cycle, usually 10 minutes. So even if you accidentally start it, it will shut off. I am assuming you need this for work, because at home you could hear your truck start. Most systems you have to hold the button down for several seconds to activate the starter. They watch the battery voltage after 10-15 seconds to figure out if the engine is running or not. You can also hook to a tach signal. I have found that all the systems seem to exaggerate the distance at which you can start your vehicle. In a perfect test enviroment they probably work fine, but there are so many things that affect the range of the remote.

Your turbo timer is a different setup than remote start, I can't see them affecting eachother. And yes, if you look at the specs, it will work on a diesel or gas with an auto trans.

I have a couple of the kits sitting around I haven't gotten around to putting in yet, you should check them out.

Do any remote starters come with a high idle?

Not that I have ever seen, but on the mechanical ones, you might be able to use a throttle kicker motor and somehow wire it off of one of the functions of the auto start.

as do i. as does harold. and many others. has been that since way back

Maybe it is because to many people get confused with Nampa and NAPA...that is my excuse anyways.

Not that I have ever seen, but on the mechanical ones, you might be able to use a throttle kicker motor and somehow wire it off of one of the functions of the auto start.

Thanks dog....

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a bumped engine speed for warm up on a diesel.

On the last auto start I put in, I used the trunk control to operate the truck box lid. I installed an electric lock motor attached to the latch rod in the box. Then I wired in a switch on the dash. The truck box stays locked all the time, and you can open it with either the remote, the switch, or manually with the key.

Now, what if we used the trunk function to operate a 3 wire solenoid. One ground, one Ign + when the remote start is on for the hold in windings, and then use the trunk function to momentarily supply power through a relay to pull back the solenoid. Kind of like how the shut off solenoid works on alot of diesels. Then, at any point that the auto start is on, you could hit the trunk button to bump the idle. You wouldn't be able to turn it off until you stopped the auto start by either shutting it down or hitting the brake pedal, but I think it would work great.

You could also use the door loock functions, and make them turn high idle on and off, but I like have remote locks, so I would probably use the trunk function.

I wonder if on the fly by wire diesels, if you could attach a cable to a solenoid and use it to pull the accelerator pedal a certain amount to get warm up.

But I guess most fly be wire diesels already have warm up cycles built in, so there is probably no need.

If it's cold enough and I don't use the block heater, my truck will rev up to like 1500rpm (I think??). Something that the Smarty did to it. It's pretty cool.

I wish my smarty would do that when it's a little warmer, it's cold enough to have frost on the windows, but not cold enough for the high idle to kick in. or even better a PTO throttle control like the 3rd gens have, so you can just set the engine speed with the cruise control.