Sign in to follow this  
cahammer

how do you remove the cam

i have been wondering how to remove the cam with out pulling the engine i have seen pictures on the web and they have long wooden dowls lodged down the push rod holes to hold the lifters how does this work and what size and type of wooden dowls do i need does any one have pictures thanks for the help thinking about doing this after the first

dustin,

harold done lots of em. ill fwd this to him and hopefully he will have internet access to respond.

the dowels work great. dunno how the pic will show up. my monitor all pics are fuzzy.

dunno the size of em either. they push down and clip in.if my pisspoor memory is correct,,,, there is a sawcut in the end so they will flex to clip in.

906camshaftdowelsmargraves952500Pic.jpg

906camremovalmargrave952500Picture0.jpg

906camandpartsmargraves95Picture041.jpg

The dowels are 1/2" dia with a taper at the end and a slit in so they can compress slightly as you push them into the tappets.

The job as a whole isn't bad really. The radiator and aftercooler have to come out, AC condenser lays to the side so and evacuator isn't needed. Fan hub comes off, lift pump out if it's a 12 valve, power steering pump if it's a common rail. Remove the windshield wipers and the plastic cowl you'll find a couple rubber plugs that you can pull the pushrods up through and stick the dowels down through. The rest of it is prettymuch common sence. My last one took 5 hrs start to finnish and that was a common rail so I had to cut and weld the front crossmember back in.

-Scott

That's making pretty good time Scott. I'm thinking once the radiator and other frontend items are out of the way access to the engine is much easier.

I'm really wanting to do this mod to my '98, hopefully a spring project :)

well my kdp looks like it might have reard its ugly head so I am going to replace the cover I haven't taken it appart yet but I am going to get a lot of bombs going this next few weeks new o-ringed head sending my p-pump down to II looking at a f1 cam and fixing the oil leaks