Sign in to follow this  
starter_kit

Filling station rant

Soooo, I stopped for diesel on my way home tonight, and after grabbing the diesel nozzle and smelling the wonderful aroma, I realized that the smell was mostly coming from my hand :x . I am going to estimate that this is probably about 67,831 times now that I have had the pleasure of being covered in diesel fuel after filling my rig. WHY is it so hard for 99.9% of all filling stations to get a decent seal on the connection between the nozzle and the hose?

I work in the farm services industry, everyday I seal hydralic systems, liquid fertilizer systems, anhydrous ammonia systems and so on, and I would say that I enjoy at least a 99% success rate. I just dont understand why it is so difficult for someone at a filling station to comprehend the directions on a roll of pipe tape.

When I went in to pay I asked the future rocket scientist behind the counter why the nozzle is always covered in diesel, his reply was: "Hey man that stuff is oily, and doesn't seal up well", so I said "Well that may be true, but the fuel system on my pickup is filled with that "oily" stuff and it doesn't leak all over everywhere". Then he told me I could call the manager if I wanted to complain.

Am I the only one that has this experience? I know alot of guys carry a glove in the rig to keep from being marinated in diesel when filling, but it just chaps my a$$ that I should have to bring special equipment to fill my rig, especially when it costs me $3.19 a gallon for the privalage.

Maybe since Christmas is right around the corner I should buy a case of pipe tape and deliver it to all of my local filling stations.

:rant: .......and I'm spent.

I know you are in the farm service industry and have to deal with the "EPA" I know here on my farm that they would have a fit about a drop of diesel oil or chemicals if it hit the ground maybe you might look into some of the "EPA" laws about service stations leaking fuel just a thought and it isn't your bad luck I have had it happen to me too nd then you want to wash it off and it still smells when you get in your pickup

Guest Mopar1973Man

I know the feeling... Another rant is why can't the service station owner/employee's wipe down the pump and not let it look like a mud pie. Geez I'm not to sure if I want to stop there! :shock: Or you find the pump out in the weather and the nozzle is full of water for you to tip into the tank! :shock:

But as for the smell if I get it on my hands I put a dab behind my ears the girlz love it! :lol::lol::lol:

To brighten the mood just a little I'm convinced only half of those slimy nozzles are leakers and the others have just been victims of splashback by poorly vented tanks. Of course, I don't have much room to bitch cause the stations on my side of the state line get kinda pissy with you when you try to pump your own fuel.

-Scott