Sign in to follow this  
D/UNIT

Hard Starting

My truck isnt starting like it usually does. it always starts right when i turn the key. now when i go to start the engine it turns over a few times then starts. it will start right up after its been run, as long as its within about a 1/2 hr after its been run, if i let it sit for a hour or so its hard to start again. when it does start it runs fine not rough or smokey. its been doing this for about 5 days now. ive eliminated cold weather and loose fuel lines, any ideas?

Guest Mopar1973Man

Did you check your grid heater for proper operation? Maybe a loose, dirty connection, or bad relay? I'm pretty sure you have IAT sensor on there to monitor the temp for starting. Maybe the sensor is dirty or going bad?

I know my web page is for 2nd gen but it might just give you ideas...

http://www.frontiernet.net/~mopar1973man/iat_sensor.htm

Lack of grid heat in a cold start will cause difficult starting possibly.

How about fuel quality? Is it gelling up at all on you? Fuel filter plugging up?

I let you ponder this and let us know... Or just pass it down the chain to a 1st gen guru... :thumbup:

i deleted my grid heater a couple of months ago, and haven't had any problems with it starting even when it was in the low teens, and I always keep it plugged in at night. i'm thinking its fuel related but haven't pin pointed were. it acts almost like its losing its prime. have noticed an occasional drip of fuel coming from the throttle shaft but its done that for a while and hasn't gotten any worse from what i can tell. good point about fuel, i always run a quart of 2stroke and a half a bottle of diesel service fuel additive at every fill up but didnt on the last one. i dont think its been cold enough to gel the fuel and just put a new fuel filter on 12-8. i'm wondering if the lift pump could have something to do with it. id like to put a gauge on the lift pump but haven't had the time to go get one.

Has ULSD taken out some of your seals? I hope it is a non-issue but just as I am getting mny first gen installed it seems a lot of guys on TDR are complaining about broken seals with new ULSD.

pump seals? im not sure, could be, hope not. if thats the case what can a guy do since its the only fuel available, besides bio. does anybody know what kind of output fuel pressure should be on a ve pump?