97cummins

What to do with exhaust

Well, since i dont have dual exits now. And with my exhast stopping before the rear axle. Do i put new duals back on, exit the exhaust in front of the rear axle, or stacks?

What do you think??

Single 4 or 5" may need to tweak the aftermarket system to make it its best.

Replace clamps with band clamps. If pipe joints arent slip fit then make them slip fit.

Duals are twice headache ive never seen duals on any rig look good ones always hanging lower or at different angle or drawing attention because its shaking.

I ran in front of axle for awhile. It was an easy exhaust to fabb but soon grew tired of the noise. I later went over the axle noticed a climb in egts but sound was reduced.

My exhaust is getting tired so ive been thinking about fabbing 5". Ive fabbed mine from scratch aswell as install a few 4" kits on 2nd and 3rd gens. Ive not seen a single kit bolt on that i didnt make a tweak here or there. Actually have a guy with a 98 wanting me to do some kind of hanger on his new kit he just installed himself. I havent got around to doing it yet or even seeing what his problem is.

Ill see if i can find pics of my in front of the tire exhaust

I kinda miss that sound

Edited by Evan
  • Like 2

I agree with Evan. Its hard to make duals look good and even. I would exit behind the rear tire. The exhaust will most likely turn your wheel black if you exit in front of the rear tire.

My personal opinion is that exhaust usually looks best if its not looked at. It should not draw your attention. I'm not a fan of stacks or huge tips. I say exit behind the rear tire. Tuck it up close to the bed so its not hanging down so it looks nice and clean.

• Like 1

ive run a good number of my trucks with the pipe exiting ahead of the tire like evan shows. not a lot of benefit in flow, but indeed a few bucks less. for an off road rig i like the pipe not going clear to the back to avoid damage in the rocks backing up,  but for a highway rig it is noticeable in the noise in comparison for sure.

stacks, i did that on a few of my rigs. and 2 of the 3 i went back to under the truck to avoid loss of cargo space. in addition switching to a cabover for a while, and trying to not soot up the 5'er, no more stacks for me. in addition i find less attention is better due to other guys 'rolling coal' and noise making which causes scrutinization by the boys with the red and blue lights, they will often target those driving responsably as well.

ive done a straight pipe on 90% of my cummins trucks but now, i would maybe do a high flo muff..... never thought i would think such nonsense.

am i fianally getting old? :(

• Like 1

That exhaust was fine driving around town towing grades with the horse trailer or long grades cruusing at 65 it droned like no other. I found myself constantly attemping to go slower or faster to get out of tge drone. 

The same muffler going all the way back produces no drown.

Ive been looking into the donaldson offroad mufflers 4 and 5" its been awhile now since ive changed my exhaust. 

Im kinda debating looking at a turbo upgrade and fabbing a 5" off the turbo 

I dont know that the turbo off a manual is realy much uograde.

I will admit a good  clean single stack exiting flush to cab heigth does look pretty slick. A donaldson then 90 directly off it might kill the drone 

my first gen trucks with the shorty and no muff actually did not seem to be too bad. my two 02 HO ETH-DEE trucks however did offer up a good amount of sound for all to hear especially under a load... seemed to be more than my 98.5 for sure.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2018 at 11:53 AM, 686Cody said:

You could copy this idiot. I took these pics this morning. 

0621180645.jpg

0621180645_HDR.jpg

Lol, no thanks. I dont like that look.

I can't believe someone would do that. That car dealer would be smart to have that fixed or he will probably never sell it.

illegal as it is straight out pointed, between 3 and 11 foot off the ground which i believe is the law. must be pointed slightly back if between those values.