97cummins

Fuel pressure gauge

Actually anywhere between the filter and the injection pump is fine. Myself I did a remote mount sensor bracket to get the sensor away from the water hammer pulses produced by the injection pump. 

iss-pro-fuel-pressure-sender.jpg.8786ebf

I prefer to install the tapped banjo at the fuel filter, not the injection pump.

Image result for mopar1973man fuel pressure gauge

• Thanks 1

ran big line all the way to injection pump. I put the fuel snubber on the 90 directy on the injection pump then line to a gauge mounted on my dash. Yes i have fuel running in my cab.

Had to put the snubber on because the gauge was going crazy.

Copper colored fitting is the fuel gauge line. 

2018-01-19_11-28-04

Edited by Evan

Tap should never be at the VP44. Need to move that down to the filter bottom. That like my ISSPro gauge me sensor is over 5 feet away from the tap point allow the pulses to fade. I'm also using 1/8 air brake line. Even mine is close but halfway between the filter and the VP44. I need to replace that piece of hose and get a tapped elbow JIC and move to the stock filter. 

iss-pro-fuel-pressure-sender.jpg.8786ebf

Why not at the pump.  Its been like this for 6 years or so. Well maybe 4 i didnt get the gauge on right away when i did the fuel system 

Water hammer pulses are the strongest at the mouth of the VP44 and the farther you get away the weaker the pulse and less damage to sensor or gauge.  

I have a snubber before the inlet to the gauge. 

You are right. Before installing the snubber you couldnt hardly tell what the pressure reading was at.

https://www.glowshiftdirect.com/1-8-27-npt-diesel-fuel-pressure-snubber-valve/?gclid=CjwKCAiA7ovTBRAQEiwAo8dPcemDuq0ef0kTZNpuH4QSlnCZTiUmYarGKnvRHx0d8Pid_rAC2dGOfBoCP1cQAvD_BwE

You can find them cheaper

Edited by Evan

Sometimes getting too cheap might cause issues too. I'm not sure about the GlowShift snubber if the sintered brass or what is tight enough to give proper snubbing for the sensor. I'm still running the ISSPro EV2 snubber no issues I think I'm at my 4 years now. I know there was an issue with cheap snubbers and were not doing their job well.

Yeah. I dont remember what i payed. But its still working and i like having the reading right at the pump. Im sure it really doesnt matter where as long as its up stream from tge lift pump. Gives me peace of mind knowing exactly tbe pressure going into it.

That's a good demonstration of what pulsation / hammering is.  All positive displacement pumps produce this hammering.  It is very hard on gauges!  If you see your needle pounding away then you need to do something to prevent it or your gauge will be damaged and it's life short.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is why only the fuel gauge sensor or the gauge itself needs to be installed away from the VP44 best at the factory filter. The filter can acts like a suppressor and reduces the hammer effect of the VP44 is creating. This is why I remote mounted my sensor on the fender so by the time the fuel pulse goes through the sintered snubber and travels another 6 feet fo 1/8" tubing the pulse is basically near dead. This is why the rash of a pressure sensor failure for Quadzilla and Edge Juice are so commonplace because they do not provide a snubber and tell you to hook it up right at the inlet of the VP44 which is the WORSE place to measure fuel pressure. 

• Like 1