Mopar1973Man

Free WiFi calling without cell service...

Ok Gang... 

Just learned a new trick today and want to share it. Being now my cellphone now works at home and can make phone calls without cell service. All I need is WiFi signal and the phone works. So now I've got 2 cell numbers that work. 

Actual Cell: (208) 315-1470

WiFi: (208) 740-1747

https://thedroidguy.com/2017/08/receive-wi-fi-calls-google-hangouts-free-without-sim-card-1063470

This web page explains how to do it but I will mention the uncheck box in the Google Voice is not present but you have to remove the linked phone number to make it work. So sitting here at home I can call my WiFi Cell number and it rings like normal. 

Why am I doing this? The LG G5 cell phone I bought is UNLOCKED no carrier brand. Not to mention LG in their wisdom decided to omit to WiFi calling feature. So between using Google Voice and Google Hangouts I've managed to create a free phone number and now have free WiFi calling without cell service. 

• Like 1

Like Muddy fond out yesterday, I was able to call him from my cell phone right here at home. The closest cell tower is 20 miles away. Now I will admit the clarity of the phone call for the most part is good as long as there is plenty of WiFi signal and bandwidth on the DSL. Once in awhile, you would get a digital distortion and then it typically clears up. 

That's pretty cool. For the price of a plan it wouldnt be bad to try this. Especially because alot of people have Wi-Fi at work and home.

Can you also send texts and pics with Wi-Fi?

12 hours ago, 686Cody said:

Can you also send texts and pics with Wi-Fi?

Not on standard text app. But through a App like ICQ or Facebook messenger that uses WiFi...