Peter L

Starter death...

Sooooo about 7 months ago I was in Vegas visiting family and the starter (original with 335,000) on it finally gave up the Ghost. I replaced it in my aunt's driveway with a reman starter from O'Reilly auto parts. it lasted about 6 months then started to do this NO START when it got hot. I would turn the Key and NOTHING no clicking no nothing. Batteries both check good. I had cleaned all the connections. so I replaced the starter with a new one also from O'reilly auto parts. 

When I took the old one in they tested it and said it was dropping current across the solenoid and was indeed bad.

Now a week later, the BRAND NEW starter is doing the same shit! sooooo besides a run of bad starters from O'reilly auto parts... can anyone out there think of anything that could be killing these? it isnt a duty cycle issue as the engine fires up INSANTLY evey time.

Soooo suggestions?

Peter L.

Probably going to go the Napa route. My thought process is O'Reilly's auto parts has a bad batch of starters but I was wondering if there was anything in my vehicle that could be causing the starters to fail?

Peter L.

15 hours ago, Peter L said:

Probably going to go the Napa route. My thought process is O'Reilly's auto parts has a bad batch of starters but I was wondering if there was anything in my vehicle that could be causing the starters to fail?

Peter L.

Not really... The small brown lead is just an ignition switch trigger. It fused and protected by a relay as well. Then the main power lead is controlled by the starter contact inside the starter. Which the brown lead pull the solenoid plunger in which does two things. One it kick the pinion gear out into the flywheel and then as the plunger completes is movement down it makes connection to the power contacts so the motor is energized and should start turning the engine. 

The only thing I could say that might be causing failures is bad battery cables. If the cables have a high voltage drop issue (in excess of 0.2 volts) then the starter motor will get hot and burn the contacts and brushes quickly. 

https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/articles.html/general-cummins/84_engine/91_electrical/voltage-drop-testing-of-wiring-and-feed-cables-r341/

Then just for information...

https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/articles.html/24-valve-2nd-generation_50/51_engine/electrical/starter-contact-replacement-r438/

69orc8.jpg

When mine died 6 ish years ago i didnt read much good reviews on the reman starters so i bought the rebuild kit from a starter guru outfit. I cant remember where.

Ive had no issues with my original after rebuilding. 

Pretty sure this is what i used

http://www.fostertruck.com/cummins-dodge-denso-starter-easy-rebuild-kit-94-06.html

Edited by Evan

for one of my 92 duallys, the one with 600,000 miles it had to have new contacts and brushes for the first time at 590ish k.... parts cost locally at klines near marsing? 11 whopping bucks. not too bad.