Evan

Heim steering??? Diy upgrade.

Anyone done it.

Im thinking i will. Get rid scissor steering that and its very sloppy

May also upgrade panhard bar to match steering angles 

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ruffstuff&Product_Code=78STEER&Category_Code=STEERINGKIT

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ruffstuff&Product_Code=PANKIT&Category_Code=panhardtrackbar

I know some dont recomend heims for street, but some say they stay tight for forever, some say heims transmit more to steering wheel.

Just thinking out loud

I think its a cool idea. I wanna know more about it. I dont see why it wouldn't work for street use. There must be a reason non of the auto manufacturers use heims in their vehicles though.

Learned something new today... Heims...

Personally, I'd be a bit spooked about using heims ends. With all the snow, ice, salt, mud, sand, etc. I would expect those to hold up very long. At least standard tie rod you can push grease in them and keep the water and mud out of the ends. 

Okay, I'm with ya. I would have to agree with the nay vote. Those are more for racing and crawling and such for more articulation I would guess. Definitely not on a daily driver for reasons already mentioned. A boot would help with that, but you're not really going to gain any on an daily truck. 

Also, the only way those will transmit more to the steering is if the steering was loose to begin with.

Ive done tons of research seems what i find is 50 for street use. But likeveverything mileage may vary..

With these i can get better angles on the drag link and panhard bar wich creats a better steering and handing pickup.

Auto manufacturers use rubberbushing joints every where they can to increase driver and passengers comfort.

Heims do not have a forgiving absorbent characteristic like rubber

Edited by Evan

2 hours ago, Evan said:

Auto manufacturers use rubberbushing joints every where they can to increase driver and passengers comfort.

Heims do not have a forgiving absorbent characteristic like rubber

With that being said what about the harshness being transmitted into the steering box and other parts? What about the harsh shock into other devices? 

Here we are looking at longevity issues...

Im realy not sure it matters.

With tres. I have to tie drag link into tie rod. With heims i can run drag link all the way to the knuckle. 

Either way you cut both ways are better than the stock scossor steering. 

I think ill try it on my jeep first.

A better steering system will have less bump steet and transmit less to steering components and will not be fight the factory track bar.

Either way i think doesnt matter i can build with 1ton tres or heims and dnd with steering set up 200% better than what dodge let out of theyre factory.

Yes right now sge is sloppy. You gotta heard her down the rd

Edited by Evan

14 hours ago, Evan said:

Im realy not sure it matters.

With tres. I have to tie drag link into tie rod. With heims i can run drag link all the way to the knuckle. 

Either way you cut both ways are better than the stock scossor steering. 

I think ill try it on my jeep first.

A better steering system will have less bump steet and transmit less to steering components and will not be fight the factory track bar.

Either way i think doesnt matter i can build with 1ton tres or heims and dnd with steering set up 200% better than what dodge let out of theyre factory.

Yes right now sge is sloppy. You gotta heard her down the rd

That was really difficult to read bud, lol, still didn't catch all of it but I think your saying the steering will be better, how so? Better in what way? Lastly, do you really need 200% better steering?

Just some thoughts, it's your truck dude. Do whatever ya want with it. I certainly do with all my stuff. I'm about to complete rebuild the 3.4 in my Tacoma with a longer stroke and punch it .40 over. Why? Because I can of course, and I need another project.

Funny thing is at 315k miles on the clock I'm still on my factory steering for the most part... The only thing I've changed is a set of ball joints and a track bar. Still got the OEM tie rod ends, OEM steering box, and OEM power steering pump. Still tight like the day I bought it nothing leaks and nothing is failing. Yes, I do use my truck off-road quite a bit. 

The biggest problem is that people change wheels and tires and put lift kits on without understanding the geometry changes and then wonder why the truck is always wearing out and falling apart and steering is always loose.

I've been running the Heim setup for over 130k on my daily driver.  I started with the Thuren kit which was on the truck for the first +/-80k.  When I bought the truck it had a 6" lift and 37x13.5s.  It ate the stock setup very quickly.  I replaced all parts with stock Mopar and they only lasted a couple thousand.  I tried the new style setup from Source and got about 15k out of that kit before it was completely shot.  Thats when I said the hell with it and tried the Thuren HD Crossover setup.  It worked great!  I took the lift off and had to swap again since the Thuren kit isn't set up for stock height.  I changed to the DOR kit since it would be a direct bolt in but sized for stock or various other heights as ordered and have had great luck with it other than the heims themselves.  The heims Thuren uses are much better quality and are teflon lined.  I never once had an issue with them on heavily salted roads or with any other environmental factors.  The DOR heims on the other hand tended to build up gunk inside and nearly freeze up.  They got loose at the socket that holds the ball and I decided not to wait around.  I unthreaded them and threaded the new Thuren replacements I had already bought for backups into the DOR setup and have been driving in a better than new feeling truck since then.    I still have the Thuren kit sitting in the garage if you happen to have a truck with at least a 3" lift.  His customer service is great by the way and he will take plenty of time to help you get things set up.  He has plenty of replacement parts on hand if you ever needed them.

Thuren also makes a heim with a tapered tre shaft for the 08-13 steering setup so you wouldn't have to drill out the pitman and passenger side knuckle.  I think he has been working on a full tre conversion set but not sure if he has released one yet.

I'll try to snap some pictures this weekend after I get all the road grime from the construction washed off.  Everything has a thick brown layer on it right now.  Until then, here is the link to the kit.  They have some decent pics on the website.

http://store.dodgeoffroad.com/Crossover-Steering-Kit-Welded_p_106.html

• Like 1

Even better, I should have it at the dinner meet this month barring any unforeseen difficulties.  Speaking of .. @MUDDY !! Same place same time?  I'll get it posted if so.

• Thanks 1

Kid woke up screaming before I got the grime cleaned off the crossbar ends so I'll try to snap a couple more once I get things shined up a bit.

The DOR set (cant find markings to indicate brand) that had no teflon coating did end up with some grime down in the socket.  With the teflon coated FKs  I never found anything in sockets after 80k of Idaho/Nevada grime, dust, and salt. The ball was always shiny and clean.  The teflon seems to act as a wiper and the ball is perfectly smooth so nothing really sticks.  The DOR set also didn't have as tight of tolerance when I replaced them.  I tossed them in my ultrasonic to check tolerance once the socket was clean and they had a very tiny amount of lateral movement.  I like the DOR configuration better than Thuren since its the T style and they have more options but I would not use their joints. Thuren's setup joins both bars at the passenger knuckle which always creates a tiny amount of bump steer.  DOR is a pain to get angles set just right but once they are.... :rockin:

I guess I should have clarified, the heims on the crossbar are still DOR since they haven't shown any sign of issues yet but I have the replacements to drop in when I get the trac bar adjusted back to where it should be.  Thats why they are so dirty.  I'd use the ones off my old Thuren setup but would like to sell it as a complete kit. Drag link heims are the FK.  All four are 7/8 thread and 3/4 hole.

• Thanks 1