• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Mopar1973Man    383

I've gone off the deep end this time. I've got to thank MoparMom for pushing me into buying them. I bought a set of Morimoto D2S HID headlights. There is a place called http://shop.retroshop.us/ that assembles the HID light into the headlight case that you select. Then you can select bulb temperatures and ballast wattage amounts as well. I'm highly impressed with Morimoto HID's awesome design and light pattern is HUGE. I can see 30-40 feet off in the ditch of both sides of the highway even on low beam. High beam the light travels a long ways better than a mile still seeing reflectors and signs. 

Low beams

DSCF4243.JPG

Now you'll notice the light has a step on the driver side. That step lines up perfect on the yellow line of the highway. The driver side is cut off just a bit shorter to prevent blinding on coming traffic. The passenger side is just a touch higher. 

High beam

DSCF4244.JPG

As you'll see the high beam is huge. It travels a long ways down the highway. 

Then the headlight...

DSCF4249.JPG

The group on my site started doing the Morimoto H1 Mini's because they are so easy to install. I'll admit the Morimoto D2S lens is bigger and produces a wider path of light. I also admit it reduces the stress of driving at night. The quality of light and the wide path of light is nice to have. So I've got to send my Thanks to a few people MoparMom for pushing to get them, Snow Dodge for letting me see his Headlights and setting me up with Retro Shop, and Me78569 for pioneering the Morimoto H1 mini's and producing the article on my site

Sure makes it nice when you rolling home from Ontario at midnight to be able to see in the canyon. Seeing deer down the highway and off in the barrow ditch. 

• Like 1

4Play    39

Holy jeez!  Definitely something I will need to look into.  I spend plenty of time traveling through elk and deer country holding my dimmer switch in the bad parts to get high/low/fogs at the same time and still be able to quickly shut it down in time for oncoming traffic.  I'll be putting the full bumper/guard on first since the lights still don't help with the suicidal ninja critters that jump out of places the lights just cant get to.   Also to protect fancy lights such as those  from whatever may want to harm them.  On that note,  I've been searching the manufacturers to find a grille/bumper that includes the options of a 16.5k winch/receiver for a 3rd gen.  Ranch Hand no longer supports that specific style.  So far, Fab Fours is the only one I can find that has the option listed.  I'm sure others would provide both at a comparable cost but I haven't gotten around to calling yet.  I would love to fab my own but currently don't have the time/tools/materials to see it through.  I feel I'm taking a huge risk with a very large amount of money sitting behind a plastic grille (even more with a nice set of Morimoto D2S HIDs) and want to remedy the situation as quick as possible.   If anyone has any leads on a good setup of that nature, shoot me a pm.  Thanks for the great post Mike!!

686Cody    15

To each his own I guess. I think the star wars lights turned out pretty good. Not something I would want on my truck but I bet the customer was happy.  Probably until he seen the bill. 

Mopar Man, I really like how yours turned out. You can't beat a nice clear lens and almost factory look. Plus they are probably 10 times better and safer going down the road. 

Everyone these days seem to love the big led light bars. I even seen a little honda civic hatchback with one bolted to the roof. No way I would put one on my truck. I would rather drive down the road holding a flashlight out the window. To each his own.

Mopar1973Man    383

So far im not impressed with LEDs lighting. Still cant shine the same range as a halogen light no where close to HIDs headlights. I just dont think optics of the light bars are all that great. Im looking for long range lighting. Like my 100w aircraft lights shine a full mile without an issue. Havent seen a LED light make good pattern a full mile.

Mopar1973Man    383

After a week of driving with the Morimoto HID's I'll say it well worth the money after tried the stock OEM headlight which are horrid. Then trying the Sport headlights with a relay mod to light both blubs for hi and lo beams. It's OK but nearly good enough for back country travels. Still the Morimoto HIDs put more light on the pavement that any other solution I've seen. The widest path of light on hi or lo beams. On flat ground, you can see at least 30 to 40 feet on either side as you're traveling. Switching to hi beam has zero impact on the pattern on the ground. This because of the cut off shutter dropping out of the beam pattern internally. So this is all done with a single bulb and shutter that cuts the lo beam pattern.

As you can see the step in the shutter.

2012-08-07_16-56-08_201.jpg.c7839abb8eec

MarineOne    16
On 8/10/2017 at 6:18 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Sorry something like that I don't need. Yeah they might be HID's but I don't need all the weird BS with Star Wars...

Just an example of what can be done with them.

Travis gave us a decent price especially with all the custom work.  HID's are really the way to go, and if you salvage them from a wrecked late model Audi, etc., you can have a set for under $100.

-Kris

Mopar1973Man    383

Might be true... Now you have to bake the lens off your headlights or buy new headlights and bake the lens off them. Then install the HID lights and verify the HID units are mounted correctly and working correctly. Then seal the lens back on again. Then install and aim the lights. So for the price I paid the light are assembled in brand new headlight cases, the lens baked off and resealed. Then they set them up in a jig and aim them for you. When you get the headlights it basically a bolt on item and no adjustments required. Where if you do it yourself there is a lot of things that could go wrong. So, for the price I get a warranty and way less headache. Being I'm traveling over 750 miles a week and coming home at midnight it really was really nice to pay the money and have a bolt on item that I didn't have to mess with to make work. That's priceless...

millco    7

This is looking pretty good!

I've toyed with this idea for quite a while.....

If you get some projectors to do your own; make sure you get quality ones!  I've noticed some cheaper cars have very poor performance from their projectors.

I also think the OEM lens sealant can be removed with a solvent or maybe even ATF...?  Seeing how easily the lens is deteriorating in the sunshine, I don't want to cook them to get that polyurethane seal apart!

Has anyone tried an LED 'bulb' in their projectors?  I wonder how that would turn out?

LEDs have come a long way!  The new Ford pickups have a pretty good low beam pattern and range with their OEM LEDs!  I think they will continue to improve.

Mopar1973Man    383
21 hours ago, millco said:

Has anyone tried an LED 'bulb' in their projectors?

Don't go here LED bulbs are not as good as think they are. Poor pattern. I'll see if I can find the video on my site and post it here. 

21 hours ago, millco said:

LEDs have come a long way!  The new Ford pickups have a pretty good low beam pattern and range with their OEM LEDs!  I think they will continue to improve.

Only if the headlight housing is design around the LED bulb. If you attempt to put a LED in Halogen headlight case you find the pattern is really poor. Kind of like putting a halogen in a LED headlight it won't work right. 

Kind of like my sport headlights. They have tons of light pouring out of them but the optics of the reflector is junk so the pattern on the ground is junk. Nasty hotsppot and horrid spread. Stock OEM headlights tend to have little hotspot and massive spread of light but defused too much. 

Here is LED's installed in Halogen headlight case... Just consider driving towards this guy all the time.

20170405_060603.jpg

Here is my old Sport headlight and driving light setup on lo beam.

0404170640.jpg

millco    7

This is so true!  We have all been meeting drivers on dark roads that have done their upgrades poorly!

I have seen LED bulbs in H4 halogen housings and they seemed to work very well.  But a guy has to buy quality parts to expect a good outcome.

I've seen good results from Opt7 brand LEDs (both replacement bulbs and light bars).

For my first gen, I have a pair of Hella European standard 6054 replacement housings that take an H4 (9004) bulb.  I need to make up a wiring harness with relays so I can install them.  They came with Hella 55W halogen bulbs.  I figured I would install them and get some good pics.  Then I plan on installing those Opt7 LEDs (I may be able to borrow a pair.....  That would be perfect!  So I can be sure they will work correctly!!).

I am very picky about my lighting!  If any of the above doesn't work perfectly, I won't use it!!  (Right now in my service truck, I have a pair of Sylvania Silver (or maybe even Ultra Silver) Star H6054 bulbs and they are terrible!  The pattern from low beam hits a wall looking like a football!  You don't want to approach it at night nor be followed by it!!). I'll get pics.....

Mopar1973Man    383
3 hours ago, millco said:

Mike, could you post a comparison pic similar to the above to show how your projectors compare?

I'll try and remember...

Let's say in daylight hours I can see the very top edge of the headlights bounce onto the bottom edge road signs and reflect back. 

Mopar1973Man    383

I've not forgotten about the pics... Just my camera is down at Muddy's and ill do a photo of the lights down there. 

As for upgrading my driving lights I'm thinking about doing PIAA RF series driving lights and fog lights. Now remember driving lights are narrow long distance lights which would be awesome in my high beam position. Then fog lights are wide but short beam path which would be awesome in the low beam position. 

http://www.piaa.com/RFSeriesLED?Attribs=55

PIAA RF3 Driving Beam LED Light Angle View PIAA RF3 Flood Beam LED Light Dual View

Me78569    1
On 8/18/2017 at 7:31 AM, millco said:

This is so true!  We have all been meeting drivers on dark roads that have done their upgrades poorly!

I have seen LED bulbs in H4 halogen housings and they seemed to work very well.  But a guy has to buy quality parts to expect a good outcome.

I've seen good results from Opt7 brand LEDs (both replacement bulbs and light bars).

Eye opening for the opt7 stuff

• Like 1