Mopar1973Man

Morimoto HID headlights for Dodge 2nd Gen Trucks

Between the Morimoto D2S HID headlights and the PIAA RF530 LED driving lights I can see like its daylight. $1,000 worth of lighting worth every penny...

What about something in 200 dollar area.

I went with 50 dollar bulbs last time and that helped but i still white knuckle grip at night. My eyes neex help bug time at night. Ive even drove by my driveway a few times

Sorry... I've done the bulb upgrades to stock headlight. Then step up to the Sport headlights and relay mod. Still sucked. Then I ditch it all and moved up to the Morimoto D2S HID's ($700) and then add the PIAA's LED ($300). You get what you pay for. 

https://mopar1973man.com/topic/12306-sport-headlights-installed/

DSCF3953.JPG

These didn't work because the beam pattern was too narrow just barely lit up the lane in front of you. 

DSCF4249.JPG

Now the Morimoto D2S HID's light up 50 feet beyond the driverside of the road surface out into the ditch and beyond. Same on the passenger side at least 50 feet out in the ditch. Your lane the beam is cast out as far as possible. The on coming lane is cut short with a step in the shutter. When you flip on high beam I can light up a full 50 foot tall tree to the top. 

Now my old driving lights were a relay mod and four 100w aircraft landing lights. So 2 bulbs on low beams and 2 bulbs on high beam. (20 Amp load). Bulb lifespan was roughly 9 month to 1.5 years and they blew out. Costing $18 to $20 a piece to replace at NAPA. Beam path again I couldn't reach out very far. 

DSCF3951.JPG

Now my PIAA RF530 LED's are even brighter than the Morimoto HID headlights.

All I can say is I'm going to have to meet up with you some time and show you. You get what you pay for. The quality is A1 grade for both products. Excellent vision in the darkest of night even in storms like rain and snow. Still can see excellent. 

PIAA alone...

piaa.jpg

Morimoto and PIAAs together.

morimoto low.jpg

That's what I learn from my experience I chased the cheap fixes and it was only a band-aid to the whole issue. Never resolved the problem. Then over my side of the fence guys started doing retro-fit Morimoto HID's and using the H1 Mini series. Those have a smaller lens and don't cast as wide of path as the D2S HIDs do. I'm also running the 5k bulbs which are slightly on the blue tint side but nearly perfect white light. The PIAA's are actually a 6k LED and you can clearly see the bluish tint in the light but still in all the a pair of 18 watt LED driving light are still brighter than my pair 35 watt HID's. Now comparing the electrical load the old Halogen sport headlights with the relay mod that is (4 x 60w) for a total of 240 watts of head lights then a pair of 100w aircraft lights 440 watts (36.6 amp draw) of light and barely lit up my own lane worth a darn. Now with the Morimoto HID's and the PIAA LED's that's a total of 106 watts (8.8 amp draw) that 415% reduction in power usage on the batteries and alternator and producing way more quality light. 

So I hate to say it if you want food lighting you going to pay a premium for it.

DO NOT buy headlights like these. They are completely ILLEGAL for highway use. Very blinding. There is no lens nor control shutter to control the beam pattern. There is not a single legal retro fit HID bulb designed to be stuck in a stock headlight. Again these are ILLEGAL do not buy!

https://www.amazon.com/Dodge-Headlight-Smoke-Corner-Ballasts/dp/B01460SWD6/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1516416899&sr=8-14&keywords=2001+dodge+ram+hid+headlights

71HQp8yp2AL._SL1200_.jpg

9 hours ago, Evan said:

Where 9007 bulbs any kind of upgrade?

No. Not at all. The Sport Headlight ran both 9004 and 9007 and they sucked even with the relay mod light all 4 bulbs at once on lo and hi beam. Light pattern was very narrow. Like I said only lit up the lane barely. My aircraft landing light still put out more light with a pair 100w bulbs. Still in all the 9004 and 9007 bulbs are 55/60w halogen but the housing are a key factor. The headlight housing optics are cheap or junky then the rest goes out the window. That way the HID are so pricey because the optics are correct! 

I was gearing up for producing a relay kit and fuse kit so all the connections were done in the PDC box and looked factory but after seeing the performance it wasn't worth the effort in building the kit for maybe 2-5% improvement over stock OEM headlight light power. 

I couldnt sleep last night so i went to walmart got 800 1500 2000 and 3000 sand paper. Got one headlight sanded to 2000 

Ounce i get them up to 3000 i got some mothers headlight mew wax stuff to polish them  maybe,

my lights were definatly not very clear. I can see inside the lense now 

The truck has ice cicles from wet sanding, lol

Before putting back in service make sure the lens has a coating of UV Laquer to protect the plastic again. Other than that the plastic will fog up again rapidly since you sanded all the coating off. 

Ok. ill have find or order some of that. 

This after the lense cleaning and 2" leveling spacer. I mever turn brights on becausd they make it so dark in front of truck. 

I might aim these down alittle, what do you think

Believe or not this is quite abit better than it was. 

2018-01-20_10-15-59

Edited by Evan

Something to be aware of. HID's are not a two filament bulb like what you are using now. It a single filament. Now how does it create high and low beams? Easy by using a shutter. Single everything before the lens is up-side-dwon so the shutter covers the bottom half of light. So if high beams are requested the shutter moves showing the full beam pattern. That being said there is no change in the beam pattern of light or brightness in lo beam area. It remains the same.  

Image result for morimoto hid shutter mopar1973man

I checked out website and saw the shutter. 

I dont have money for lighting but sure wish i did

Edited by Evan

Everyounce in a blue moon ill make a trip to grants pass oregon leaving here after work at 5. 

That would make good lighting worth it 

I'm going to update on my PIAA LED driving lights. Now that I've driven a solid winter with them I'll say with the amount of salt thrown on the highway and the brightness of the PIAA LED's lights I've found myself more than once turning off the PIAA's because the reflection of the salt white highway it gets hard on the eyes. Still to this day the PIAA LED's are noticeable in dusk light where my Morimoto's HID still are not visible on the highway yet. 

• Like 1