• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
686Cody

Posting pictures

686Cody    15

Hey guys. Photobucket has stopped sharing 3rd party pics. I was just going to pay them so all my pics would work again but they want $400 for the upgraded version. That is insane. No way I'm gonna pay that.

I use android for everything online. Does anyone know of a good app i can use to start sharing pics again? I would be willing to pay a little bit for it if it means they won't screw me like Photobucket did. Thanks 

Mopar1973Man    383

How about posting on the site? We can host pictures and files. Just drag and drop for desktop. Mobile devices you can upload photos and files as well. Here im on my cell tonight and ill post a sunset in Payette, ID.20170729_210428_HDR.jpg

686Cody    15

It keeps telling me I'm only allowed 2MB. I guess my files are too large. I'm not sure how to make them smaller. I'm not very good with computers and stuff.

Nice sunset.

686Cody    15

uWNF0KE.jpg

I may have found an app that will let me share pics, its called imagur.

Edited by 686Cody
Cool it works
  • Thanks 1

Mopar1973Man    383

Like I explained to Muddy... Every one of these picture hosting companies will eventually be forced to turning over to a paid hosting. There is no way they can continue to freely host images forever. Just like ITD it WAS a free site since 2006. Now we started adding advertisements and soon be adding donations because there are bills you have to pay to keep the site alive.

Now consider when Photobucket started camera technology back then were small 0.3 megapixels to maybe 2 Megapixel (600 kilobytes). Today's cameras are pushing 8 megapixels (6-7 megabytes) and up making the pictures huge in size of the file. Now consider every picture uploaded is 7-9 megabytes won't take long for someone like myself with 8 Megapixel camera to fill up some space. Just looking quickly for 11,000 some odd photos I consume well over 21 Gigabytes worth of storage. 

http://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/articles/200724444-Plus-Subscription-Pricing-Info

Give you a feel for cost vs. hosting at least for Mopar1973Man.com I've got hosting plan of 90 GB of storage and 3 TB of bandwidth for $60 a month or $720 a year. Now at least Mopar1973Man.Com does have to use advertisements but I've got roughly 36 times more traffic per month than ITD which just the traffic alone in advertising produces over $1,360 a year (2006 Google Adsense income). So in my example, my advertising is capable of keeping the site alive.

Photobucket to several thousand times larger and bandwidth requirements to display all the different pictures on every site that someone posted a link. I can see where the advertisements no longer able to pay the bills and the bandwidth and storage of all the photos is getting huge. So they had to switch over to a paid system to continue paying that bill. So don't expect to ride on any free hosting for very long before the wave of people forces the next hosting site to a paid solution. 

So no matter how you slice this pie the more content you are storing the more traffic using said content then cost goes up. Just for the feel of the expense of hosting just check out hosting companies prices like here is iPage on the Virtual Private Servers. Slide that slider up to optimal and see what the price does. Now attempt to figure out an income plan to keep the site growing in the black. 

https://www.ipage.com/advanced-hosting/vps.bml

Now jump from VPS to Dedicated Servers... Now thing really gets expensive fast...

https://www.ipage.com/advanced-hosting/dedi-ppc.bml

If you want you own long term solution I would say to buy a shared hosting over on iPage or GoDaddy.com and then install Coppermine photo software and you'll have you own photo hosting site that you own yourself. 

GoDaddy.Com at $8 a month or $96 a year. 

https://www.godaddy.com/hosting/web-hosting

Then Coppermine which is free software.

http://coppermine-gallery.net/

So now you would own your own photo hosting company and do it for a fraction of the cost of Photobucket and never have to worry about increases.

• Like 1

686Cody    15

I appreciate the insight. I dont feel like I'm smart enough to start my own photo hosting site. I'm not good with computers at all and alot of the stuff you just said went over my head.

I dont mind paying a little money for the service but 400 dollars a year just so I can share a pic every now and then is crazy. Ill ride out the imagur for a while and when they finally decide to start charging for the service then I just hope its affordable.