• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
4Play

Roof repairs in progress

4Play    39

After the wonderful winter we had I find myself digging into my wonderful EPDM camper roof.  It appears the Eternabond wasn't applied quite well enough to the skylight in the bathroom and a bit of water got into the ultra thin board under the rubber.  Thankfully I got it aired out early before any mold happened.  The wood separated into 3 pieces and the center piece warped a bit but wasn't damaged beyond that.  I'm hoping that the Dicor glue will have just enough water content to undo the warping.  With the help of some weight it should be able to make the 3 sections of wood one piece again and re-solidify things.  I've had success with this method on another project so hopefully with some luck I can make this work.  

4124.jpg

• Like 1

Mopar1973Man    383

I was thinking to myself there should be an outer shell over this too? I'm assuming the outer shell is just removed. I would use some sort of sealing glue again on that seam around the skylight. 

4Play    39

The shell is cleaned up and sitting in the garage. Still need to scuff the sealing surface so it can adhere better. Something they didn't bother with at the factory. I have the Dicor self leveling sealant but still need to pick up some Eternabond tomorrow. 

4Play    39

The repair seems to be working great and the ripples in the board are flattening out nicely.  Unfortunately the cure time is going to be much longer than I'd hoped even with the near 100 deg days.  The rubber roof only gives one route for moisture to escape and I can only open it up so much for circulation without pulling the wood sections apart again.

MUDDY    118

glad to hear it is working. hopefully it will cure quick enough and all will hold together as planned. :thumbup:

4Play    39

Cure time and heat are not working in my favor at all.  I've sealed it for now and will have to remove it all and revisit at a later date.  .The heat is keeping things too soft for way too long.  Its looking as though we may only get one trip in this year anyway.  Work seems to have other plans for us.  At least the rework is looking much better than the factory seal.

IMG_4156[1].JPG

Mopar1973Man    383

I'm not a fan of Eternabond being the previous owner used it everywhere attempting to seal leaks on my RV. Sad to say, every bit of that Eternalbond had to be peeled off and 50-year silicone injected into the leak which now has fixed the problem. As for Dicor self-leveling sealant, I've not used it but if it still soft after all this heat I'd be looking for something else for roof sealant.  

4Play    39

I didn't end up using Eternabond since they didn't have anything that fit what I was trying to do specifically.  The putty on the underside of the skylight cover is mainly just a gap filler/sealant to keep the surfaces mated flush and provide an initial seal.  I'm not a fan of applying a bulky tape type sealant on external surfaces.  My roof is a great example of how well that works.

The Dicor self leveling sealant (final seal) on the edges and over the screw heads seems to be curing beautifully.  Application is easy and it settles right into any crack or crevice.  It sets up fairly quickly and seems to harden just enough to keep from being pushed around or scuffed but still maintain flexibility.  I'm impressed so far but only time will tell.

The Dicor bonding adhesive paste (looks like Elmers) that I used is just meant for sticking the epdm roof to the wood/wood to the foam and will stay tacky.  It isn't the Eternabond putty or caulking.  I put it on a small area (6"x6") as a test to see if it would remove the warping on the wood and be just enough to keep it from separating yet stay flexible. It has just enough moisture to level the warping where its applied.  Its just not enough surface area yet.  Like trying to glue two 2x4x8s together with one quarter sized dot of wood glue.  It would work great if I had enough weighted material to do the entire patch all at once.  Currently the area next to my test spot is still warped and is constantly pushing the two surfaces away from each other once I remove the weight and the heat softens it a tad.  It just needs to be enough adhesion to prevent the roof surface from lifting in the wind at speed.  I'll revisit later and just work on getting the wood flattened out.  Once that is done it wont take much to join everything back together.  I may just end up using a standard wood glue or epoxy since it really shouldn't need much flexibility but I'd rather stick with the flexible stuff as to keep things from cracking or breaking if possible.

• Like 1