Mopar1973Man

16x7 Dodge Ram Steel Chrome Wheels

@MUDDY had a project for me at his place. I happen to spot a set of wheels that would get rid of my crappy aluminum wheels that one is way out of center or bent some how. Sad to say, my tires are beyond saving the damage is done to them. I did the dismount and remount myself and spun balanced them to true ZERO on all four tires. At highway speeds you can feel the vibration from the wheels. No, It's not driveline I just replace all u-joints on both front and rear driveshafts. 

DSCF4013.JPG

Nice match to my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500... Just now need to find the center caps or a center cap that will fit.

DSCF4015.JPG

• Like 1

well, I just happen to have a few sets of 3rd gen caps. also caps off an 02. I  should have one set someplace that come on 94-99 trucks.

I might give  you my center caps.

I just tossed 17 alumin  wheels on mine. Id  like to go to 17x8 black  soft 8s.

Edited by Evan
  • Thanks 1

I can wait for spring to get here and warmer weather and salt to stop being applied to the highway. I want to pull the wheels off and power wash them well and repaint the inner parts of the wheel black again. I done two wheels and it looked really good with flat black paint. Problem is flat black is porous and not going to hold up to the road salts and mud as well as the gloss black that seals the metal better.  

You need some h1 bead locks to play with. The idaho motor pool has them in fruiltand if your driving by swing in there. They come with tires mounted good mtrs or bfg tires 50-80% tread.

5 wheels and tires. I plan to get a set soon, grrrr last time i called they where out if them.

5 for 500 wheels and tires

2018-01-18_06-59-24

The one pictured is recenterd to 3.5" back spacing. Factory h1 back spacing is 7" our wheels are 6 well mine are not sure what backspacing yours have

Edited by Evan

Tsl tires run short. 

Heres 36" bias tire i think tgese are recenterd but they must have 4.5 or more back spacing to be tucked u der the truck as well as they are .

2018-01-18_07-17-46

• Like 1

Sorry, I don't need something that will ruin the front axles of my truck. I'm happy with the idea that I've gone 330k miles without rebuilding the front axle or steering system. Yeah I've replaced a few bearings 1 set of ball joints and 2 track bars but still got the OEM steering box and tie rods yet. Still steers tight. 

Did you know dodge dana 60 has spacers that widen it about 12"s over all so it can use dually wheels. Zero offset. 

I wonder if the 0 offset with 6" dually spacers puts the same forces on steering and bearings as the 6" offset wheels minus the dually spacer

My mind thinks it would be the same but the dually spacers do bolt thevwheels on 6"s further out.  I think to much.

Might toss wheel and ture weights in to as well as cheap over seas parts and driver.

The #1 biggest reason for you to not is your fuel mileage will suffer. Whatever tire wheel you run new steering parts on that dana 60 will most likely out live you 

2 hours ago, Evan said:

10/4.

Our trucks have junk steering and track bar. 

Im at 270k and mine drives all over.

Not really being all I've done is dropped the stock 265's for 235's and never looked back.

The scissor steering causes the toe to change as the suspension cycles. It works but isnt the greatest. That is why dodge changed the steering in the 3rd gens.

Death wobble is a sever toe toe in toe condition. Our trucks along with jeeps with the same style steering are most notorious for it. It still does happen on vehichles like 3rd gen but not as often.

Bigger tires definitely do dramatize all suspension movement

• Like 1

The good old Y and T steering setups. 

The problem of the death wobble tends to happen more with larger tires and a lift kit without correcting the control arm lengths too. Like my truck I've never had the issue with death wobble, excessive front end part failure or steering box failures. So I must have done something right. 

Image result for dodge y and t steering

• Like 1

Correct correct.

Small tires/pavement = long life.

Im going to be up 2" soon. Im looking into fabbing some control arms.

I have bender and 1 3/4 die so was thinking to make them out of .25 wall dom and get 2 " bushing kits gor upper arms and 2 5/8 on bottom. One end adjustable. The upper li ks are actually 

2 3/8 wide on our trucks so thed have to be shimmed slightly.

Just thinking

5 minutes ago, Evan said:

Small tires/pavement = long life.

Correction small tires period. Pavement doesn't matter. I've been using my truck off road for many many years no issues. DSCF4657.JPG

Really is best when you use adjustable control arms then you can do a leveling kit and correct your caster angle for the front axle. It actually better to add more caster when you are dealing with larger tires to get the steering to self-center. Factory control arm are limited and typically a leveling kit screws up the caster angle pretty quick.

Awesome. You have black Forrest just like we do. 

Do you know the castor angle spec. 3-5deg or there bouts.

I tried drawing it out on my floor to figure out how much longer to make the links ounce its raised 2"

The arms you buy that are for 2-3" are mostly only a 1/2" longer.  I have not figured it out yet but im thinking 1/2" isnt enough. 

I was thinking all arms double adjustable but thats alot more money. If i can get it close ill have an 1" or so to play with to fine tune it.

On 1/18/2018 at 10:27 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Not really being all I've done is dropped the stock 265's for 235's and never looked back.

But big tires are cool. Surprised you didn't know that 8-)

I like the idea of painting the inside of the wheels. I think I'm gonna try that. Probably use flat black and some matte clear coat for wheels. The wheels I painted on the pathfinder have held up great so far.

Edited by 686Cody

14 minutes ago, 686Cody said:

But big tires are cool. Surprised you didn't know that 8-)

That's what I thought. Till I did more damage to my old 1972 Dodge Power Wagon. 

Now with the wisdom I've got now I can tell you I can out perform your wide oversize tire either on the pavement or offroad. There is a few conditions where oversize tire does come out on top but there is also tricks to allow pizza cutter to do just as good. 

I like tall 33 35 tires that are 10 or 11 wide.

12.5 is kinda pushing it 

The tures i had before these were 33x10 toyo mts good tire but didnt get that great of run time

M55 or similar tread pattern does pretty good.

I have mtr kevlars on right now that i got with about half tread left well see how they do in the dirt 

They definatly arent a towing tire