• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
Mopar1973Man

Rebuilt Holset HX35/40 Hybrid Turbo

19 posts in this topic

So I did my first turbo rebuild on a used Holset HX35/40 Hybrid turbo. I'll admit it's not a hard job to do. You do need a good set of snap ring pilers. I'm quite happy with the upgrade. Measuring my stock HX35W it measures 54/60/12 and now my HX35/40 Hybrid is a 60/60/12.

As for documents here is the rebuild manual from Holset.

http://www.myholsetturbo.com/manuals/HX30_32_35_38_40_GW.pdf

As for my pictures... Just a few...

0320171615.jpg.76732b80b8ba7aa7ad852384b

DSCF3983.JPG.e3eec11ec2cc071100043769833

2 people like this

excellent. you will like that. I use the 14cm ex housing for the manual trans trucks. good cooling for reasonable power in towing situations. relatively quick spooling. great for your application

1 person likes this

Even with the 12cm housing it still rather cool sided for normal truck travel floating 600-700*F at 80 MPH turning 2,400 RPM with 5-10 PSI of boost. That's not bad running against just stock injectors. Things will change when the new injectors come but I'm also going to rewrite my tune on the Quadzilla.

What parts were used.  Does it whistle annoying 

I got a Holset rebuilt kit and replaced all parts within the turbo. As for the whistle, it does whistle but not as loud as HX35W does. The difference between 54mm and 60mm changes how loud the turbo whistles. Other than that its a direct bolt on upgrade turbo works with the stock exhaust brake or turbo mounted exhaust brakes.

Nothing had to be modified. I used my exhaust brake which I left mounted to the exhaust brake. HX35W removed. Now just bolt in the HX35/40W turbo. DSCF5616.JPG

I want to do an exhaust on your truck.

On 4/30/2017 at 9:47 AM, Evan said:

I want to do an exhaust on your truck.

Why? Won't change nothing... EGTs are already low, I flow nearly zero boost cruising. The only thing 4" will do is make the truck louder. 3" has zero drone, very quiet and most quite impressed with the sound and volume.

Mines not loud. Egts defiantly run lower on mine.

Most 4" exhausted cummins have no muffler and kinda sound like shit. 

I want 5" lol. Maybe when I do a flatbed

My buddy has 4" with a 5" tip on his 2006 Dodge Cummins. Totally straight piped and very loud you can hear him a mile away running empty. Then the drone in the cab is deafening and painful while towing. Your ears are ringing in a very short time. I did an exhaust change out on a 1996 Dodge Cummins where a shop ran straight 5" on this truck and again the drone was deafening. Running empty at 65 MPH you needed ear plugs. So I installed a muffled 4" and it got a note but only when your deep into the throttle.

Like right now with my 3" I'm running 475-525*F at 55 MPH or 550-600*F at 65 MPH (Empty truck). My cruise boost at 65 MPH is 3-5 PSI and 55 MPH is like 1-3 PSI. Barely flowing any exhaust gasses. Like this weekend I went and did my last camp out with my new girlfriend and on the way home going up a hill I could run with my foot to the floor and barely reach 1,200*F. Quadzilla tuning is starting to come around and needs a bit of peaking and tweaking yet.  

DSCF4054.JPG

Just dropped the Diamond Eye (straight through) replacement muffler on my '05.  The stock muffler had a couple holes open up in the side of it.  I'm still running 4" with the cat still installed.  The sound changed very little from stock.  A little deeper outside the truck but I can't tell the difference in the cab without standing on the throttle.  Even when I'm "giving her the berries" loaded there is no drone and sound in the cab is hardly increased.  I don't have to adjust the radio volume and there is no need to raise your voice to be heard.  It sounds surprisingly close to stock.  I cant hear any difference in turbo whine from the twins.

I know when we run em on the dyno, the 3 inch straight piped vp trucks allow more decibels to escape than a straight piped with 4 inch on a vp truck.

on one of my 03's I had 5 inch and that needed a res as the noise was difficult to live with towing. 4 inch is just fine for a 700 horse truck.

22 hours ago, MUDDY said:

I know when we run em on the dyno, the 3 inch straight piped vp trucks allow more decibels to escape than a straight piped with 4 inch on a vp truck.

But wait a second... No one ever drives their truck on public highway like a dyno. Two different stories. Not to mention I'm muffled. The only time I'm stomped to the floor making noise is passing vehicles the rest of the time cruise is set and I'm about 9-12% of commanded throttle. So again I'm nearly silent. 

https://mopar1973man.com/garage/modification/229-straight-pipe-exhaust-with-muffler/

Flow through muffler. Way cheaper than most brand names. But just as good.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/EXT21468

several have claimed egt reduction with 4 inch. scientifically measuring egt reduction on a load dyno, hp gain, and measuring decibals makes for some interesting comparisons.

for a mild truck like mikeys 3 inch may be adequate but I would prefer the 4 inch. 5 is a waste.

on trucks run on the dyno while straight piped, the 3 inch hurts the ears more so than straight piped 4 inch. fact that several have commented on during our dyno events

Maybe some need to get a dyno event setup again in the Boise area... I'd be willing to show off a quieter 3" exhaust. :P

Anyone have a spare S475 96/1.32 laying around?  I'm betting that would fix my drive pressure issue so I'd feel comfortable on a dyno....