• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
larryhagmansliver

Road Salt & Rust in Idaho

Not sure where to put this, but being from Ohio I was wondering how badly vehicles are affected by rust in the Idaho area?
In northeast Ohio, they salt the roads heavily and often. It's not uncommon to see vehicles 5 to 7 years old that are rusted out. I coat liberally with Fluid Film to combat this.

How big a factor are these problems in Idaho?

good afternoon,

the only salt Idaho has used, at least in the western side has been a small bit mixed into the sand to avoid clumping. its been that way for 40 years at least. you do not see vehicles rusted out like you do in ohio. however since the year 98 ada county has used mag chloride and the western counties and east ore has taken to using around the y 2k. I noticed plastic parts like grilles taking a hit from this crap. also my spray painted winch bumper rusted prematurely being coated in that crap. however it has been 16 years of using mag chloride and one does not see the rust issues like you see in ohio, Illinois, etc.

unfortuneately Idaho started using some salt on the interstate and some state hiways last winter.  not knowing if they will continue with that obscene practice. also not sure with how the volume compares to what you see in the east. it accumulates on the shoulders and driving on the freeway you see what looks like a dusting of snow which is really salt. you get to the Oregon line and the freeway has no white residue so they use no salt over there. just lots of mag chloride.

back in the day we would simply have sanding trucks with a blade on front. that worked the best imo. yeah, an occasional rock chip in the windshield but don't tailgate and chips will be rare. my vote is to go back to sanding and avoid the chemicals and salt all together.

my show trucks will only go out when there is no salt and no mag chloride. however it seems idiots in government must use their budget up and use the stuff on the roads even when not necessary. sometimes makes it a hard guess to as when the roads are clean. indeed us here in the west should Now research the coating that you spray on for winter.

Growing up in Northwest Indiana, I feel your pain.

The good news is they don't use that much salt out here in Idaho, so have good snow tires and four wheel drive.  They won't plow until the snows stops falling, so the roads can be a bit crazy at times.  This is more so on the western side as we have A LOT of California drivers and they don't know how to handle snow.

-Kris

Come to Central Idaho they are using nearly 100% salt out here and little gravel at all. The pavement is white in color from the huge amount of salt used on the highway. I've been attempting to stay after washing the truck under body and keeping the mud remove from the body. The mud will hold the salt in contact with the metal longer and cause rust failure quicker. 

I've already talk to ITD folks about the change and this area up here had the worse road conditions and the district heads opted to increase salt content. Then on top of it they are not allowed to mix their out mix any longer. The District head has to be out and watch over the mixing of salt to gravel mixture now. 

2016 and 2017 this has to be the worse years in salt usage on the highways. I'll admit its kept the highways safer with less ice... The down side I've had to deal with more rust and part failure from salt. Rear calipers failed this year started leaking then my U-joints rusted up even though I'm pretty good about the grease gun. I've actually seen the salt turn my truck white in color because the amount in the road water when it dried.

Crap. I just made a run from Boise back home last night in a nasty snow storm and the front U-joint are now going south on me getting rather sloppy.