• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
Evan

This will fix my tranny

72 posts in this topic

Been dead peddling atv35mph. Code says this part. No pump symptoms 

20160707_173611_zpscuzd7lvh.jpg

I would got a Timbo's APPS and skipped the OEM designed APPS. Timbo's is $160 and completely electronic free all mechanical.

DSCF3748.JPG.5b1fef381dfe184795b793c444b

Here is OEM APPS... Lots of electronics to screw up... The Idle Validation switches on the OEM are toggled in electronic form. Not to mention still have a weakness to AC noise issue produced by bad alternator diodes.

plateoffup8.jpg.ecff05881a4a7e19848bca29

1 person likes this

Actually read your thread after doing it.

Shit.

Dead pedal is gone now

(Roll eyes) well I tried...

1 person likes this

I'd of jumped all over that if I'd of known.

I keep waiting for the dead pedal to come back. 

Glad I saw this, I was wondering what the difference was between the two.  I know which way to go now should I encounter this issue. 

Well my dead pedal never came back. But the tranny is completely toast now. She only made it 280k about 150k was pretty hard use running around at 34k every other day in boise stop n go traffic

Time to rebuild... I went Dynamic Custom Transmission in Newman Lake, WA. Good guy and beefed up my 46RE super strong for even a half ton.

I have trans parts and can supply labor as well.

She'd coming out.

20170131_163427_zpsqde9zhgm.jpg

Muddy what tourqe converter do you use and if you could pm or text a price. I'm in 350 400hp area. 

Not sure who's building it yet. All I know is not me. I have about 3grand to spend on it.

208 599 5789. 

Planning to drop transfercase tonight then tranny this weekend

Dunrite Converters .

Indeed I will get you a text. :cheer:

1 person likes this

Met my goal for the evening. Transfer case is out. Fabbed a plate  on the floor jack to drop the tranny 

20170131_204322_zps554zkuiq.jpg

1 person likes this

How about stabbing a 46RE back in a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 without using a floor jack at all? I did it completely with nothing more that ratchet and cam straps. 

Then on the NV4500 on my truck, I've got a way of tying the transmission to the jack with a single ratchet strap and it won't move at all. No need for a trans adapter plate or jig. 

I just welded a plate on real quick. No ratchet strap she lower down right down.

No waiting on tax money. Kinda excited I'll be able to use the power that's under the hood.

20170202_193834_zpsxlagueka.jpg

How about not using a jack at all?

2a4srv4.jpg

1 person likes this

pretty slick. I prefer a lift and trans jack. ive watched a couple guys at a bomb/wrench party do a SBC install and remove a nv5600 on the ground in the rain. floor jack and straps and cussing.

both you guys got it figured out though :thumbup:

1 person likes this

The trucks in very tight quarters it's blocking the door to my reloading room. Had to crawl through window to get in and reload my ammo.

I'm literally about to freak out on this tranny.

Spend 3 or 5 that's bug question.

And why did the ground just shake.

IS A HARD CHECK TO  WRITE FOR CERTAIN. :(

you do tow a lot of weight. however, thankfully you are able to drive with the trans in mind making long life possible. but seriously, I would not  cheap out. that truck is a keeper.

Sad but true you got to spend the cash to fix those auto's. Like my NV4500 was only $1,450 to rebuild from top to bottom. I'll admit my 46RE in my 96 Dodge 1500 was only $1,600 to be rebuilt and modified (extra clutch disc on the direct and overdrive clutches, modified valve body, and few other mods to the trans.)

I contemplated a 6speed but they don't seem to be all that compared to good 47re's the 6 grand investment to put used stuff in. Then a few grand more to freshen the tranny up and put a new clutch in that will last 50-100k. Just doesn't make sense.

Thank you Muddy for all advice. Mopar you to.

Currently trying to decide if I'm going to install a billett flex plate.

Here's how she looks now. Down to flexplate

20170219_092940_zpsolxp2pst.jpg

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Evan said:

I contemplated a 6speed but they don't seem to be all that compared to good 47re's the 6 grand investment to put used stuff in. Then a few grand more to freshen the tranny up and put a new clutch in that will last 50-100k. Just doesn't make sense.

Hua? I cleared a little over 261k miles when the mainshaft gave up and went POW! Just to have my NV4500 rebuilt was only $1,400 for the mainshaft, bearings, syncros, etc. Then I just installed a South Bend Clutch Con OFE back in January 2017. Way cheaper to rebuild a NV4500 compared to a 47RE.

DSCF3698.thumb.JPG.36f03aea7b8c5d59fdbf7cac5059e99d.JPG

Clutch wise if you stick with South Bend Clutches they will last well up to 150k miles. I will admit I'm hard on clutches for where I'm at and where I've got to drive with trailers. My last South Bend Clutch lasted 135k miles when it no longer could hold up to the torque of the mighty Cummins at about 1,200 Ft/Lbs (Calculated from OBDLink). 

I would opt for NV4500 before NV5600. The top two gears of both transmissions are the same. 

NV4500 5th Gear - 0.75

NV5600 6th Gear - 0.73

47RE 4th gear - 0.68

NV4500 4th Gear - 1:1

NV5600 5th Gear - 1:1

47RE 3rd (OD OFF) - 1:1

So this mean the extra gear is going to give a bit more spread in the 0-30 MPH area. It's not going to add the highway speeds at all. Like in my truck I'm in 4th by 30-35 MPH. So in a NV5600 6 speed you going to row 4 gear from a stop to 30-35 MPH where I've only got 3 gears to row in a NV4500 5 speed.  

Now comparing to the 47RE the top two gears are the same pretty much too... So it about the speed below the 1:1 direct that each transmission is going to deal with. 

Just hauling five one ton hay bails. (10,000 pounds of hay)

1203161519a.thumb.jpg.659e778b1dc630c85fc2a44aaab28901.jpg

Yes your right that is just 15k when you add the trailer

Here's mine with just a little more than 15k

Towed daily for about 150k. Tranny weng till about 277k. I'd have to look at odometer to check exact miles. Though I've have taken her off towing duty in last 10k or so . I run across the scales grossing 34k. So take 7600 off that.

How much does the southbound clutch cost. How much do you value your time to drop the tranny twice in 260k. Shops value the tranny drool and install at about 400-600. So ad that to cost of your tranny rebuild and clutch cost and your there at 47re build 

But like you I don't value my time. That's why it's not at shop

backhoe.jpg

3 hours ago, Evan said:

How much does the southbound clutch cost.

Right around $800 with flywheel for the south Bend Con OFE.

3 hours ago, Evan said:

Shops value the tranny drool and install at about 400-600.

Never take my truck to shop. I do my own work. So far within a one year time I've dropped my transmission twice. Once for the rebuild and broken mainshaft. Then the second time when the clutch gave up at Christmas time. Does it bother me? Nope. Do I know its done right? Yes sir... I know without a doubt.

I agree. Lack of money and trust is why I do it myself. But mostly lack of money.

I just took tdi injection pump apart and resealed it. Actually that was easy and saved me 1200 bucks

1 person likes this