• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
686Cody

Tow Pig Project

reverse shackle kit well worth it. i hated how those years had shackle in front and anchor in back. one of my 3 f-350s seemed to like to exhibit death wobble. yep, track bar. but with rsk one may not need to use the track bar? the rear anchor point brings out the issue. unwise design by some years of fords and jeeps. early 60's power wagons as well.

I think it just depends on the overall lift after its finished as to whether or not a drop track bar bracket and pitman arm are needed. Mine actually sits a little lower now. It drives great. No issues there. Just sucks that the bracket hits the sway bar. I don't see any way around installing the old track bar bracket and pitman arm. I definitely want to keep the sway bar.

Aside from that it really rides nice. I feel bumps in the rear that I didnt feel with the front. I might add some rear super duty leafs and see if I can make it ride as smooth as the front.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of the poly body mount bushings. Some have complained of more road noise and vibration. I don't hear any road noise but I do kinda feel some engine vibration when at a stop. I also think my downpipe is still touching the firewall sometimes. I really need to get that fixed. It drives me nuts. The downpipe sends alot of noise and vibration into the cab. 

Ill keep grinding forward until I get it just the way I want it. I'm making progress.

• Like 1

Looking good, Cody. I never saw the need for poly body bushings. Poly bushings stiffen things up, and I prefer not having road vibrations transferred to the passenger compartment, whether it be truck or car.

The poly bushings are nice because they aren't so expensive. The oem rubber bushings are extremely expensive and from what I've read they don't even sell the core support bushings anymore.

I spent some time after work yesterday on it and I think I have the downpipe clearance issue taken care of. I believe that's where I was getting all the vibration. Its now much quieter and hasn't rubbed since. I also don't feel the vibration anymore. If it stays like I have it now ill be happy with the poly bushings. I don't hear any more road noise or vibration.

I also removed the sway bar. My new links showed up today so when I have time ill put the oem track bar bracket and pitman arm back on with the sway bar and new end links. Then ill be completely done with the rsk install.

Now that the track bar bracket isn't hitting the sway bar the ride is much better. Its amazing how smooth it is. I still feel the bumps but its very light and manageable. It no longer jars the entire truck. Even the small bumps were very noticeable and now I don't even feel most of them. I wouldnt even know they were there if I hadnt been avoiding them the last few years. I'm very happy with the rsk. Im kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

On another note I have noticed some rust bubbling under the paint on the roof by the drip rail and also around the third brake light. The windshield leaks sometimes too and I believe maybe it has a rust issue under the windshield trim. Its the only rust on the entire truck and it will only get worse so I need to get it fixed. 

I brought it to a local body shop today and they quoted me $1500 for the repair. $2500 if they remove the handles and fix the little holes. I think ill keep the handles until I can paint the entire truck. $1500 is alot of money but I think I'm gonna do it. If I had a big enough shop I could just do it myself but its almost winter and I cant leave it in the shop at work for an extended amount of time.

Someday ill add up all the money i have spent on this truck, then ill think of all the hours i had to work to make that money, then ill cry a little bit, then ill go for a drive and feel much better, then ill drink some JD and figure out my next mod.

lots better to put some $ into an earlier truck like the obs then make monster payments and suffer the questionable  reliability like the  newer ones. :thumbup:

I agree 100%. Old Blue goes into the body shop tomorrow.

The more I think about it $1500 seems pretty fair for what they have to do. As long as its done right I shouldn't have any more problems with the roof for a long time.

• Like 1