• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
686Cody

Tow Pig Project

686Cody    15

Hey guys I'm new here. Thought I would show what I been up to. I have learned alot from forums and am happy to be a part of one with people from idaho. I am happy to help anyone and my garage is always open.

20150823_125952.jpgI bought my truck in feb of 2013 for the sole purpose of towing my camp trailer. It had 244,000 miles and now has 256,600. It was stock besides a 3 inch down pipe, gold superchip, built tranny, and gauges. It needed alot of work but the body was pretty nice and i was in love. I paid $5,250. Two months later i bought a spare engine out of a 95 for $450.

I was never very impressed with the power it made even after fixing a ton of pre turbo exhaust leaks and boost leaks and adding a couple goodies. It towed my toy hauler ok and now i have a fifth wheel that it tows pretty good but kinda struggles on the hills and at highway speeds. The engine also leaked oil from the oil pan and was making me crazy. I decided to clean up the 95 engine and add some more goodies in preparation for a swap.

I started with this. A 95 psd and i had no idea what shape the internals were in. It was very dirty and had been sitting in a shop for 6 years.

After pulling the oil pan i was very happy to see that the engine still had hone marks in all cylinders. I ran each cylinder to tdc and they all looked good. It also felt very smooth. I decided to just clean it up and reseal it rather than do complete rebuild. I would rather rebuild the original 97 engine anyways.

After some new paint i decided to have my manifolds, up-pipes, and turbo exhaust housing ceramic coated. I added a new oil pan, 3 inch plenums, 160/30 Injectors, t500 hpop, and a melling lpop. I wanted a fluidampner but just couldn't bite the financial bullet.

Got the new one in and it runs awsome. Sounds good, feels good, and has some serious power over the last one. So far it dont leak a drop of oil, coolant, or fuel. I am happy. I tows my trailer awsome. I have not found a hill in Idaho that will move the speedo needle. Egts do get hot though. I need a better turbo and plan to add a t4 mount and basb turbo.

I still plan on more mods to help this thing tow better. I hope to have this truck forever and love working on it. Its like a playground for someone that likes to tinker. There are just so many things that can be modded.

Thanks for reading. Here are some pics.

20150529_153642.jpg20150519_110759.jpg20150521_101935.jpg

• Like 1

MUDDY    118

super rig and fun project.

welcome to Idaho turbo diesels. great to have ya in the club.

it will be great to visit at the upcoming events. including sxs rides. we have a meeting the 3rd wed of the month as well. :cheer:

686Cody    15

Thank you for the welcome. It will be nice to meet some of the members that have a common interest. I would also be interested in a dyno day to see what it can do. I would hope for 400 rwhp but I may need some better tuning and a turbo before meeting that goal.

Where do I find info on where these meeting take place? Is there anything close to twin falls?

686Cody    15

Thank you for the welcome. It will be nice to meet some of the members that have a common interest. I would also be interested in a dyno day to see what it can do. I would hope for 400 rwhp but I may need some better tuning and a turbo before meeting that goal.

Where do I find info on where these meeting take place? Is there anything close to twin falls?

686Cody    15
Welcome and good job on the rig! It's a great looking setup you've got there. Gives me lots of ideas for the future of mine.

Thank you. I'm pretty happy with it. I have done all the work myself besides the valve body install. Let me know if I can help.

I also will be selling my turbo pretty soon if your interested in a d66.

686Cody    15

I finally ordered a t4 kit from irate. I will be running an s366 that I bought a couple months ago that I couldn't pass up. 

I will be selling the d66 and intercooler setup to try and make some of my money back. I liked the d66 but I can't seem to get my up pipes to seal up. Instead of buying bellowed up pipes I figured I might as well just go with the t4 kit. I'm hoping the s366 will light up a little faster. I guess we will see. I'll update when I get some miles on it.

686Cody    15

Yea sorry I haven't been on here for a while.

Got the t4 kit and s366 installed and I love it. I have towed with it a few times now and it's a whole new animal. The turbo lights up instantly and I haven't seen my egts go over 1100 while towing. Its finally runs the way I have wanted it to since I bought it. 

I had my fuel pump go out on me last week. I got it changed out and also installed a new throttle position sensor. It seems to run alot stronger and smoother now. I also installed some sd style uvch and pigtails and it also seemed to help it run much smoother. 

Overall I'm pretty happy with the way it's running. Off idle it's an absolute beast. At idle it's almost perfect but it does have a bit of a stumble that I don't care for. Basically every sensor is new, new injectors, new hpop, new everything and still the idle is not perfect. I may be getting a little picky at this point but it does bother me that I can't seem to figure it out.

My next mods will be to install a better tranny cooler and upgrade the hard lines to the larger sd lines. Then I may do an rsk with superduty springs. This thing rides like a brick on wheels. We will see. I don't think I will ever be done working on this thing.

686Cody    15

Here are a couple more pics of the truck with the old trailer and the turbo install. I have cleaned up the wiring and added loom since these were taken.

20160402_132536.jpg

I polished the compressor housing and painted the exhaust housing before the install. The exhaust housing is starting to discolor already.20160402_132556.jpg

This is a pic before I got my new wheels. I really need to get some new rear windows without the factory tint. It looks terrible.20130801_173001.jpg

This was our first trailer before we got the fifth wheel.20140712_130258_1.jpg

• Like 3

Mopar1973Man    383

I've worked on both the 7.3 and the 6.0... Man talk about a train wreck from the 6.0L and on. It so badly buried in junk you can't even see the valve covers any more. 7.3L like you said its all business right there in your face. There is a few issues like the exhaust routing between the firewall and the bellhousing. Most people get these little things handled and its quite the truck.

686Cody    15

I run a 6.0 everyday for work and it's ok but like you said it's almost impossible to work on. It recently blew a head gasket at 120,000 miles and got bulletproofed. I felt sorry for the guys working on it. They pulled the cab and it was still very time consuming to work on. In total it cost almost 6,000 to get it back on the road again. Hopefully we are good to go now. In its defense it works hard everyday. 

I change the oil every 5,000 miles with t6 5w40 and change the fuel filters every 10,000 miles. I'm about due for an air filter though and I'm not looking forward to that. I don't know who designed that shit but it's almost impossible to get that thing out and back in seated correctly.

The exhaust on the 7.3 in the obs is kinda a problem. I bought my truck with a 3 inch down pipe already installed but the t4 kit places the 3 inch down pipe in a little different spot. I spent alot of time hacking and smashing my fire wall to get the new down pipe to fit. It definitely needs more work. If I hit a bump it still touches the fire wall and makes alot of noise. It also is alot louder now. I tried to fill the gaps with ford rtv and I used dynamat on the inside but with the sheet metal all torn up it is still noticeably louder. Eventually I would like to pull the cab, rebuild the sheet metal, add some sound deadiner inside and out, and paint the whole damn thing.

I also want to buy a tig welder and learn how to use it. The irate t4 kit is nice but both intercooler pipes and the downpipe could use a little work to make them just right. I believe I could cure my problem with the downpipe rubbing and make alot more clearance for my intercooler pipes.

My work is never finished. 

• Like 2

Mopar1973Man    383
10 hours ago, 686Cody said:

My work is never finished. 

That's what bring us together on this site because our work is never done... :cheer:

Like I've got my own sob story of pulling a 5.9L Cummins out of a 3rd gen body... :-?

IDMooseMan    26

For your stumble issue, I was going to suggest an HPX, but I see you already did that. Did you make the HPX? I know you have an intercooler, but the HPX lines I've seen are much different than the one you have.

686Cody    15

Yes I do have a high pressure oil crossover from strictly diesel. It was kinda spendy but its very nice. I didn't figure it was a good idea to put a cheap hose on the high pressure oil system. It did seem to help some.

Im kinda leaning towards a possible injector issue or hpo pump issue. Both are new but so is everything else and I just can't seem to figure it out. It does run almost perfectly smooth when it's cold. I am planning to try some 15/40 as apposed to the 5/40 in my next oil change and see if it makes any difference.

I will say that above idle this thing runs like a champ. I have been driving around in my economy tune for a while because it shifts nicer, but today I put it in the daily driver tune and got on it a little and it was awsome. Sometimes I forget just how much power this thing has. It was a real turd when I bought it.

686Cody    15

I got some new tires this weekend. I was running toyo mt 295 70 17 and went with a 305 70 17 toyo at2. I'm pretty happy with them so far. I thought it would look kinda dumb going from the mt to at but it looks pretty good and rides a little nicer. I noticed it right away.

The new tires are a bit taller than the old ones. I had to add an inch to the front to get them to clear the bumper. I'm interested to see how much the new tires affect it towing. I didn't really want a taller tire for gearing reasons. Its now off about 4 mph at 75 and 3 mph at 60. It will be nice to run a little lower rpm on the highway. I'll add some pics soon.