• Upcoming Events

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

SgtSlaughter

WTB: 24V Cummins used motor "runner"

After 530,000 miles the cummins in my 2001 one ton decided enough was enough. Short block is still going but the head is kaput. Instead of putting on a new head thought I would replace the whole motor. So looking for an ISB 24 valve good runner. Somewhere around 200,000 miles is ok. Has to be a runner though, no core motors trying to sell as a runner ;).

I have the old short block that I can use as partial trade on the motor. Otherwise I will just rebuild the short block I have now.

Looking to pull the trigger on it this week and I have cash.

Jim

There was a mistake in the casting process, the 53 block was made for a much lower hp application, hence cheaper weaker casting, it's hit or miss whether they crack. You not having the HP turned up much is helping it live as well.

I think the injectors in the truck now are upgraded, just from the way it pulled hard even for a burned out motor. I would be interested in rebuilding the turbo. Still works good but I'm thinking it needs some freshening up. So whats typically the cost difference between new injectors and having my current ones rebuilt? Same question for the injector pump?

Injectors are cheap to rebuild, it's basically just checking pop pressure and spray pattern, quite easy. The VP on the other hand I wouldn't do either one, they don't really start losing performance, they run great right up until they quit for the most part. Keep it fed and it'll run for a long time, if you feel the need to have a fresh one then you might as well just buy a new one.

Head is cracked and now scrap. So it wold be a new head, which is more than the cost of a good used motor. The block is a 53, which has held up thus far. The engine started blowing steam, clouds of it and wanted to start overheating. Classic head gasket failure, but the gasket didn't look bad. Hopefully it was the cracked head, which would explain the symptoms. However when I load up with my camper and trailer (~17,000 gross) and head down the highway it uses oil. A LOT of it. to the tune of a quart about every 300 miles or so. Cylinders look Ok, not great. Lots of vertical scratches. Pistons are not burned up too much. But again to replace the head is more than the cost of a good used motor I can get another 100,000 out of. I know any used motor is a gamble, but with the oil consumption it has me uneasy and don't want to find out headed to somewhere remote.

I forgot about Mike, he's done work for me in the past and I was quite happy with it, I've just been going in more of a high HP direction and he really doesn't do that.