• Upcoming Events

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Scrap Yard Dog

85 Chevy CC/LB dually 24v swap.

Back story: I'll try to keep it short and sweet. Getting this truck was kinda like an act of fate, I had tried to purchase the truck a few years earlier from a local car lot, when I showed up after work to talk to the so called salesman about it he had skipped out on our appointment and went home early. I tried for several days to get a hold of him with no avail so I got irritated and gave up on the whole idea.

Six months ago "give or take a few" my roommate bought the truck from a local towing company and had it dropped off here at the house, I was shocked that it was the same truck. After a couple weeks he lost interest in the truck due to mechanical problems with the old worn out 6.2 and without hesitation I offered him what he paid for it on the spot and he took it. He knew he was in over his head and how bad I wanted it. I finally owned the old girl after almost three years.

I tore into the old 6.2 and cleaned up the hacked up mess that was the wiring harness, replaced the batteries and did a little tune up to the 6.2. Shortly after getting it running descent again she started smoking a heavy gray out the passenger side, I was told this was because of a bad head gasket. I thought no biggie I caught it early, I'll just change it out. Then a couple weeks go by and I decide to take it around the block to see a friend, I come back to the house to find a trail of oil in the direction I left.:wall:

I decided a full rebuild was in store. I figured if I was going to rebuild this turd motor it was going to be the most powerful turd that it could be. I started working on getting a turbo for it, I called a friend at a pick and pull yard and was asking about turbo's when he said "there's some dodge here with a turbo on it" I told him sight unseen I'll buy it! when I showed up to pull it I found it to be and 99 24v 53 block Cummins without any physical problems, and almost everything was still in the truck except for the radiator and the intercooler. The only thing that I've found wrong so far is a chewed up spot in the wiring harness up behind the injection pump.

The project got put on hold due to the start of snowmobiling season and a trailer I was building for my Dad. Well the trailers done and I have a new to me sled that actually runs when I need it to so its time to dive back into this project and build myself a new beast.

The parts list: What I have, what's in the works and hopes and dreams.

Have:

99 24v

Dodge NV4500

Round pattern NP205- in truck now

Dana 60, 4:11- in truck now

In The Works:

injectors

head studs

22.5 Alcoa's with 40'' rubber.

10 lug adapters for the front

Rear 10 lug axle out of medium duty truck with spliter and hydraulic brakes

Hopes and Dreams:

P-Pump

bigger injectors

HX-40 turbo or maybe small twin setup using stock turbo?

This is going to be a long drawn out build due to the budget and the fact I'll be doing all the work myself in my driveway

post-5802-145494340553_thumb.jpg

post-5802-14549434056_thumb.jpg

post-5802-14549434057_thumb.jpg

post-5802-145494340579_thumb.jpg