• Upcoming Events

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Oh man, there are so many directions you could go ......

Hunting or personal defense.

Revolver or semi-auto.

Optics or a scope.

Choice of caliber (.38 SPL, .357, .380, 9mm, .40, 10mm, .45, 44 Magnum, etc.)

Magazine size.

How are you going to carry it (open carry or CCW)

Mine are a pair of .45's and a 9mm. Springfield XD five inch tactical in .45, Springfield XDm in 9mm, and a Kimber Ultra Carry II with Crimson Trace grip.

Heidi and I have been OC'ing the Springfields on our UTV rides because of the pot farm that was found up at Edna Creek earlier this year (6k plants found on 2 sites) and they arrested some illegal aliens from Mexico at the main grow site. They also had an AK-47 type weapon with them, so I'm in the process of upgrading to my WASR-10/63 GP as the "truck gun", which is why I was asking about parts for it. For the Springfields, we're using MIL-SURP holsters; one I picked up from the Boise Army-Navy Surplus for me, and the other is an M-9 holster variant for her 9mm. Breaking in the holsters was easy; some heavy duty plastic Zip-Loc bags and hot water.

The Kimber is going to be the CCW weapon once I break it in and then take the enhanced course. I haven't had the time or money since I've pulled some OT at work and I'm paying for college classes for both the kids (the youngest is taking college prep, and since it comes with college credits he can use it was best we just paid for them). Plus working nights its a PITA for me to switch back and forth, and when I'm pulling OT there's no way for me to switch since it's to cover someone else's shift.

It really depends on what you're going to use it for, and then you can decide on the other factors.

-Kris

Myself I like my 9mm Starfire. It semi-auto and it really easy firing. I'm fairly accurate with it. I'm not one of the gun buff where I need all the bells and whistles. I just need something that is going to put a hole in a 4 legger or 2 legger on command of the trigger.

Well, Kris covered the questions I wanted to ask. I carry Dad's off-duty S&W Detective Special .38-cal snubby in an IWB holster. I'll carry my Ruger P94 .40-cal on my hip or in the shoulder rig. Those are my two primary weapons. I have others, but need to upgrade to non-CHP holsters.

Great questions, i forgot to ask those.

So basicaly the gun would be for target practice, and protection in certain areas. And for cc and oc when i go for my ccp.

You'll probably want a full sized gun, like a Colt Commander or Kimber. I don't recommend the Springfields, unless you look at the new slim line, since they're large frame with significant weight, which make them less desirable for CCW.

Since you can get the traditional .45 frame in calibers from .38 Super all the way up to .45 Auto, you still have several calibers to choose from ... and that's a good thing.

-Kris

I carry a Sig Sauer P220 Stainless Steel Elite, carry version. I also have the standard version. You could say I have an affinity for stainless steel. I pack it around with a Milt Sparks VM-2 IWB holster. It's heavy, so it isn't for everyone, but there will be no doubt as to what it is if it ever has to come out of the holster.

I gave up on the conceal carry idea a while back. With that said I did it because I prefer to carry a weapon at all times but when carrying a weapons means "I" have to be uncomfortable it's time to be comfortable and make other uncomfortable "Open Carry". Now I don't care if I got it properly covered or imprinting etc. I just open carry and not care.

Like a long while ago Muddy was trying to sell me on the pocket .22 idea. Now with the knowledge of the open carry heck with that now I can carry what I shot comfortably and with enough stopping power for most 4 leggers and for sure most 2 leggers.

I really can't see carrying anything less than 9mm (translates to 0.355) simply due to ballistics.

Everyone beats up the 9mm, but for it's carry size and the amount of ammo it can hold per magazine, it'll do the job ..... just don't use ball/target ammo, which is where a lot of folks fail.

I run jacketed soft point (JSP) as a defensive round because I don't have to worry about jams, and jacketed hollow points (JHP) can load up with clothing when you have to shoot someone, and that prevents expansion when you need it. Using JSP eliminates a lot of problems with feeding and expansion ...... this includes rounds like PowerBall, etc., but you're not paying stupid prices for decent ammo.

-Kris

Thanks for the great info guys.

I may be in the process of buying a Ruger 9mm from muddy soon.

Oh no! Don't trust ol' Muddy you know how he is... Flaky...

(JUST KIDDING!)

Congrads! On your new purchase when you get it.